Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

pdude81

I believe it's more a cost thing because Disney is getting that exact same data with people's cell phone usage now anyhow. I do not think it's because they do not need data.

As time goes on companies want more real time data. I believe Disney gets the same, probabaly far more data tht they want when we use our phones, especially when we have the app on and most do, than they once did using bracelets. Phones today easily give Disney access to more data in 2021 than bracelets did even a few years ago. I will go as far as say Disney is pushing us towards phones in a great part because they want more data.

Now with phones Disney gets more data plus they save money by not giving bands free. Its a twofer for the most part.
Now they can tell in real time when they show you something how it impacts your buying decisions

GimpYancIent

The more genie is discussed, the details revealed and reviewed the more ill conceived, poorly presented and obviously a scam becomes apparent.
I believe it's more a cost thing because Disney is getting that exact same data with people's cell phone usage now anyhow. I do not think it's because they do not need data.

As time goes on companies want more real time data. I believe Disney gets the same, probabaly far more data tht they want when we use our phones, especially when we have the app on and most do, than they once did using bracelets. Phones today easily give Disney access to more data in 2021 than bracelets did even a few years ago. I will go as far as say Disney is pushing us towards phones in a great part because they want more data.

Now with phones Disney gets more data plus they save money by not giving bands free. Its a twofer for the most part.
Data! So to what benefit has it proven to be for Disney? Humungous amounts of data are collected and an army of multiple degree / title / after name acronym people crunch it only to produce inaccurate / garbage projections / predictions. Data collection as with anything has its limits of benefit.

Waters Back Side

Your answer to one question you had is that according to Disney food blog you can only make your 2nd ride only after you use your first one. I don't think you will be able to hold more then 1 ever.

No different then other sites and sources as well including the original in the beginning of this thread. IT says first available one at a time. Hopefully it did not get into the specifics like if you select a ride (whether its your first, second, etc) that has no availability for 6 hours what happens then? Hopefully they took that into account I have to hope they considered that people will be paying $15. That would be kind of bad to check into your first ride at Noon and go pick your second at 12:01 PM and it shows next availability is 6 PM. I am hoping there is a window of time you have to wait but can still book another before then like MaxPass. If not it will be very problematic for a lot of people. This does not even only apply to people who wake up in the AM early or their first choice either. Some details have not been confirmed yet. IF I am wrong and we do have to wait for our next pass until after we check into our next ride a lot of people are going to miss out on rides. Spreading out availability and holding some slots for later in the day is one way to solve this and for all we know they will do that. Until we hear differently, yeah its a concern.

Last edited:

MrPromey

But they're not. With the phone, they're only collecting data on the party "leader". They'll see what that person does and where they go but they'll have zero direct info on anyone else in the group.

WIth Magic Bands, if dad and older son went off to do Space Mountain while mom and younger daughter went off to do bibbidi bobbidi boutique, they could track that.

If someone spent time in a bathroom*, or a shop they had the ability to track that.

If any person in your party wearing a magic band was in a standby line, they'd have been able to see how long it took that person from the point of entry to boarding.

If half way through the day, half your family went back to the resort to go to the pool, they could tell how many people did that.

Before they were tracking everyone - not just the person in charge. Unless every member of your group (that includes young children and grandparents) has a smart phone, has the app installed, is logged in, and has allowed background tracking, that information will no longer be available to collect.

There's definitely going to be a hit to the data collection opportunities.

Obviously, they're comfortable with what they expect that hit to be and who knows, maybe they were never that sophisticated in their data collection to begin with but if they weren't they were incredibly foolish.

Just out of curiosity, what extra data do you think they're able to collect off your phone with this new rollout? If they use GPS to track you all day, they can obviously get more info than they could with beacons but trying to use GPS constantly is going to kill guest's batteries so the best they could do is very incremental check-ins or live data while in use which is something they've been able to do with the person managing fast-passes on their phone all along.

*not that I know they did but they could. I sort of assume they were able to visualize this kind of guest traffic like a heat map or almost like a person playing roller coaster tycoon and looking down at a map. If they weren't doing this and again, marketers have now been doing this for years with far less information voluntarially handed over to them, they wasted a huge opportunity.

mysto

If Disney only allocates 10-15% of ride capacity to LL, it would probably destroy all the value of G+ (unless very few guests subscribe).

FP+ was 80%, not a prediction on my part I understand LL is different. 8 FP for every 2 standby was a common FP+ observation, sometimes reported by CMs, but not universal as they varied the target.

GimpYancIent

But they're not. With the phone, they're only collecting data on the party "leader". They'll see what that person does and where they go but they'll have zero direct info on anyone else in the group.

WIth Magic Bands, if dad and older son went off to do Space Mountain while mom and younger daughter went off to do bibbidi bobbidi boutique, they could track that.

If someone spent time in a bathroom*, or a shop they had the ability to track that.

If any person in your party wearing a magic band was in a standby line, they'd have been able to see how long it took that person from the point of entry to boarding.

If half way through the day, half your family went back to the resort to go to the pool, they could tell how many people did that.

Before they were tracking everyone - not just the person in charge. Unless every member of your group (that includes young children and grandparents) has a smart phone, has the app installed, is logged in, and has allowed background tracking, that information will no longer be available to collect.

There's definitely going to be a hit to the data collection opportunities.

Obviously, they're comfortable with what they expect that hit to be and who knows, maybe they were never that sophisticated in their data collection to begin with but if they weren't they were incredibly foolish.

Just out of curiosity, what extra data do you think they're able to collect off your phone with this new rollout? If they use GPS to track you all day, they can obviously get more info than they could with beacons but trying to use GPS constantly is going to kill guest's batteries so the best they could do is very incremental check-ins or live data while in use which is something they've been able to do with the person managing fast-passes on their phone all along.

*not that I know they did but they could. I sort of assume they were able to visualize this kind of guest traffic like a heat map or almost like a person playing roller coaster tycoon and looking down at a map. If they weren't doing this and again, marketers have now been doing this for years with far less information voluntarially handed over to them, they wasted a huge opportunity.
It's kind of like this now;
1629903853027.png

Cesar R M

Question: Will GENIE replace the DISNEY world app? will they merge? because having separated apps for everything is a huge step backwards.
Also I wonder how much money was wasted by doing these silly renames and how they will have to physically change stuff like "fastpass lane" to "lightning lanes". I mean.. they are going to change the signage right?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Question: Will GENIE replace the DISNEY world app? will they merge? because having separated apps for everything is a huge step backwards.
Also I wonder how much money was wasted by doing these silly renames and how they will have to physically change stuff like "fastpass lane" to "lightning lanes". I mean.. they are going to change the signage right?
Genie will be inside My Disney Experience

GimpYancIent

Hold on! Disney just blinked.

matt9112

The more I think about it, Genie+ will work out great for our family. We are planning to go during moderate crowd times of the year, so that the parks are not too crowded, but not too empty either. Being that Genie+ doesn't have a free version (unlike Maxpass), it means about half the people will not get it. That means there will always be passes available, and we can get passes all day. As to the paid fastpass rides, we don't like those anyway so they don't affect us. Genie+ costs $60 per day per family. Our park ticket is $300 per day (for 10 days). That's effectively a 20% ticket price increase compared to the days of the free fastpass.

Some people won't get Genie+ because they can't afford it. Others won't get it just out of principle (spite). Still others will skip WDW altogether out of anger towards the fastpass situation. All three situations will work towards our benefit by reducing the demand for fastpasses or simply reducing overall attendance.

If we were like most families who enjoy the popular rides, we would need about $40 per day per person for the 2 paid fastpasses (assuming $20 each). Together with Genie+ at $15, that's $55 per day per person, or $220 for our family of 4 per day, or $2200 for our 10 day ticket, which normally costs about $3000. That's effectively a 73% increase in ticket prices.

All this hinges on your "half the people wont get it" take rate. Obviously the take rate will drop from FP+ BUT this assumption is going to drive off a cliff seems silly. It could be a snowball effect....be misrable without it or pay for it and thus it will simply become the norm. You also have the booking limitations in play. You think theres going to be alot of peter pan available by 8am?

Theres too many unknowns. How much capacity is disney "setting aside" for this aka how many spots per ride per hour etc is another big factor.

Parker in NYC

All this hinges on your "half the people wont get it" take rate. Obviously the take rate will drop from FP+ BUT this assumption is going to drive off a cliff seems silly. It could be a snowball effect....be misrable without it or pay for it and thus it will simply become the norm. You also have the booking limitations in play. You think theres going to be alot of peter pan available by 8am?

Theres too many unknowns. How much capacity is disney "setting aside" for this aka how many spots per ride per hour etc is another big factor.
Disney will just keep raising the price and adding more attractions to lightning lane.

Wendy Pleakley

I'm wondering how often that will happen. I'm betting most people will choose whatever is available to them at that time. If that happens then times for late in the day wouldn't be available til mid afternoon. I doubt many are going to want to pick something hours later and then wait 90 mins to 2 hours to get their next one.

I did this with the original paper system. If you really want to ride Space Mountain with a FastPass and it happens to be sold out until the evening, you do this. It's a positive for the customer because it offers choice. I can still take my desired FastPass but not be locked out of further choices the rest of the day.

Comparatively, my last trip I could only get a Slinky Dog FP for late in the day. As a result I never had the ability to get a 4th FP during the day.

It depends on the park and type of day. On a moderately busy day in a park with lots of attractions, this typically didn't happen. In a park where everyone is competing to get a FP to a handful of attractions (looking at you, Disney Studios before Galaxy's Edge opened) things will sell out quicker.

MrPromey

In thinking about this, I think I see a method to the madness regarding the premium attraction up-charge that isn't just profit.

... Possibly.

As was previously, it wasn't uncommon for all the most desirable attractions to be fully booked before the end of day at the 60 day mark. Part of this was due to people getting up at the crack of dawn to secure it and part of it was due to people being able to gain access earlier than 60 days by booking days towards the end of their trips at the start of their trip windows - sometimes a lot earlier for those people with long stays.

This was great for those folks with experience in the system but was probably a horrible experience for first-time guests who didn't know about the daily virtual running-of-the-bulls as well as anyone booking a more spontaneous trip already within the 60 day window, APs and day-guests who were limited to 30 days and basically, never got a crack at it.

For attractions that are brand new, this might be okay but six years after 7 Dwarfs Mine Train opened, this was still a thing.

Under the new system, the people who worked the old system have lost their advantage but in so doing, the playing field is now level.

Everyone can opt to pay the fee to ride FOP now, if they really want to get ahead of the line but presumably, due to the cost, many will not.

Unlike the $15 program where capacity reserved for lightning booking will probably need to continue to be a big percentage, for these one-offs, especially with variable pricing, there is the potential for a huge drop-off.

This means that at various points in the day, if 70%+ capacity isn't being used for fast-pass, the standby line, which I assume will now just be called "the line" should move a lot more briskly.

There will be more people in it but now with everyone in that line, the average wait time FOR THAT LINE should go down, helped by not just having most people using that line rather than the fastpass line but also with the loss of people like our "I never wait more than 25 minutes for anything" folks who are now out of the equation - unless they change their stance, that is.

I'm sure these lines will continue to be long but there is the potential for them to be a good deal shorter than in the past and the common situation of standing around so much with no movement should be vastly improved.

This is of course, contingent on that pricing being such that it dissuades the majority from doing it.

For things like ROTR, this won't improve anything for a long time but if you've done 7DMT every trip for the last half decade or more and the same with FOP and many of the other premium experiences that you were able to book at 60+ days out, is it going to to be worth it to you to spend $20+ per person in your party to do them on this trip with the line skip vs standing in a line that is potentially shorter (in wait time if not length) than it's ever been?

I can see people being willing to splurge once to do something they've never done before (one of the reasons this won't help much with ROTR) but I can't see too many people shelling out for every "premium" experience every day of their trip the way people who were maximizing their advantage in the old system obviously did.

Not saying it'll work out this way or that Disney won't decide to optimize for profit rather than guest satisfaction when it comes to pricing and capacity reserve (making it so a whole bunch of people will see it as cheap enough) and honestly, if I was a betting man, I'd say my faith in them is low but since we're all just guessing at this point, the separation of "premium" popular attractions from the pack could actually be an attempt to solve some of the standby problems by acknowledging that their capacity is too low for their popularity to have either the old system or the $15 system effectively work at keeping the majority of guests happy.

Last edited:

lentesta

Premium Member
@lentesta Will you be coming up with new touring plans that offer both a G+ and non-G+ alternative? It would be interesting to compare the strategies of using vs not using G+.

Yep - it'll be similar to how we supported Maxpass for Disneyland. If you tell us you're signing up for G+, we'll suggest which LL reservations to get, and when, to minimize your overall wait throughout the day.

lentesta

Premium Member
A part of me thinks that some of why Disney is doing away with the courtesy magic bands is that they got all the data they were after with those.

Depending on how sophisticated their analytic research has been, there is a lot they could have potentially learned from having nearly all resort and AP guests walk through the parks with tracking bracelets on for half a decade.

Or, you know, the MB data wasn't able to be used because of a systemic issue that was only discovered recently. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Your answer to one question you had is that according to Disney food blog you can only make your 2nd ride only after you use your first one. I don't think you will be able to hold more then 1 ever.
We don't know for sure.

DG+ is replacing DL's Maxpass which operates in a very similar way. Maxpass allows holding more than on FP. E.g., if you grab a Space Mountain for 8 PM and do so at 9 AM, you're not out of luck in that you can't get anymore passes the rest of the day. After 90 minutes, the clock resets and you can get another FP for an earlier time.

We're guessing DG+ will operate like that, else DL's Maxpass (for which they're paying an extra $5 than WDW) will lose *a lot* of its value when it's converted to DG+ and there will much wailing and grinding of teeth.

DFB is not known for having insider info except maybe as some dining establishments. Don't rely on them for scoops unless its ice cream.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom