Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Some Disney related Covid......

If anyone is listening to the Earnings call right now, Chapek is full blown no stopping no matter what.

In so many words he said yeah there is a Delta Variant but our parks are still full and we still see strong demand for the parks.

100% capacity, 100% all staff returned and 100% everything open by the end of this year he said.

So we know where Chapek stands now. Nothing going to shut him down.

this is from the earnings call going on right now.....
Smart move.

Virtual Toad

Thought I would share some good news: mother-in-law in nursing home (vaccinated Alzheimer’s patient) has now tested negative for COVID after a positive test two weeks ago. She remains isolated along with other vaxxed residents and there are still no visitors allowed, but she remained asymptomatic throughout and is in good spirits. Without the vaccine she would definitely not have fared as well. Thanks again to all who expressed their well wishes. One step forward....

Polkadotdress

There can often be some small fluctuation in numbers, but 4k sure seems like a lot.
I can understand there being an INCREASE in the numbers due to locations not reporting in a timely manner, but a DECREASE??? How does the FL Health Dept justify that? “Oops, we inadvertently counted some as positive when they were actually negative!”

So frustrating that our numbers cannot be relied upon to tell the true story.

mmascari

My coworkers today are saying they don’t want the vaccine because they want to have kids still. Huh? Am I missing something?
Better coworkers.

Its an old canard planted by the antivaxxers for every new vaccine. Cleverly worded as "How do we know the vaccines won't cause sterility?"

Just let them know covid can cause ED. ED and baby making do not go together ;)

Disney Experience

Another study showing that in Israel that time since vaccination is positively correlated to risk of infection.( How positive does vary by age group ). There can be confounding factors ( demographics of who was vaccinated when, who takes a PCR test, etc.). Study data is from May through July so includes delta. Israel uses Pfizer.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Miami Herald on the shifting COVID numbers -

"Florida on Wednesday reported 20,656 more COVID-19 cases to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The state also reported 357 new deaths.

The jump in cases and deaths are a sum of many changes to previous daily totals the CDC made Thursday.

The CDC has changed the way it reports cases and deaths in Florida. It now publishes cases and deaths based on the date of occurrence — instead of the date that it was reported to the agency.

The reason is due to the Florida Department of Health submitting a complete renewed set of case data to the CDC everyday, including retrospective COVID-19 cases, Weesam Khoury, the Florida DOH communications director, told the Miami Herald

“This will ensure that continuous epidemiological analyses provide the most updated data to the public,” Khoury said.

The Herald is still presenting daily totals as the difference between cumulative total of new cases from one day to the next.

As numerous daily totals were changed, Florida’s new highest single day increase of cases was on Wednesday with 24,869 cases. However that total may change in future just as Tuesday’s original daily total of 24,753, which at the time was the highest single day record, lowered to 20,465 on Thursday when the CDC posted its newest data.

Florida’s cumulative increase of 357 deaths on Thursday made up of changes on many days in the past was the highest in pandemic history. It is unclear if this large increase is due to the addition of outside factors, such as non-resident deaths or a backlog not yet reported deaths on past dates."

Disney Experience

A study showing that vaccination in a country does reduce SARS-CoV-2 mutation rate. ( Not yet peer reviewed)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I can understand there being an INCREASE in the numbers due to locations not reporting in a timely manner, but a DECREASE??? How does the FL Health Dept justify that? “Oops, we inadvertently counted some as positive when they were actually negative!”

So frustrating that our numbers cannot be relied upon to tell the true story.
The italic below is from the CDC website:

Data will update Monday through Saturday as soon as they are reviewed and verified, oftentimes before 8 pm ET. However, daily updates (Mon-Sat) might be delayed due to delays in reported data. Data posted on COVID Data Tracker may vary from data on jurisdictional websites due to when data are reported to CDC.

Total cases are based on aggregate counts of COVID-19 cases reported by state and territorial jurisdictions to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) since January 21, 2020, with the exception of persons repatriated to the United States from Wuhan, China, and Japan. All displayed counts include confirmed COVID-19 cases and deaths as reported by U.S. states, U.S. territories, New York City (NYC), and the District of Columbia from the previous day. In accordance with the CSTE definition of COVID-19 cases and deaths, counts for many jurisdictions include both confirmed and probable COVID-19 cases and deaths. COVID-19 case and death data that are not available to CDC are denoted by N/A. For aggregate state-level data, CDC calculates the number of new cases or deaths each day either by using the information provided by states and territorial jurisdictions or by calculating the difference in cumulative counts reported by the state from the day before. CDC also is working closely with states and jurisdictions to incorporate their historical data

I think the bolded areas could explain some of the differences. If the numbers include both confirmed and probable cases and some of the probables come back negative that would result in an adjustment down. The other possibility is they used the difference in cumulative totals as the initial number reported but then the state clarified some of the difference was in prior days data not reported correctly.

The good news so far is the reporting errors were all overstatements of cases and the actual cases were lower. Any reduction is good news :)

JoeCamel

The italic below is from the CDC website:

The good news so far is the reporting errors were all overstatements of cases and the actual cases were lower. Any reduction is good news :)
Still makes me wonder where all those people went. Double counts from multiple sources? Maybe....

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That does not look like a plateau…
Not a plateau for sure, but the increase in cases has slowed.

Below are the 7 day moving averages:
8/11 21,210 up 17% week over week
8/4 18,092 up 27% week over week
7/28 14,198 up 59% week over week
7/21 8,915 up 59% week over week
7/14 5,594

So the curve hasn’t declined or even plateaued but the growth in new cases has slowed and the slope of the curve is not as steep. It’s pretty hard to find the positive when we’re seeing 21K cases for a 7 day average but the slope is getting less steep. It’s something 🥺

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The problem of looking for a plateau is that it only takes some sort of "event" to kick things off again. 4th of July was an event, and now that after 6 weeks later things are settling out. But school starting is an event, and Labor Day is another event. I would wait before declaring victory over Delta.
Who declared victory. Way to create a straw man to try to label people. Sometimes I just don’t get people 🤔

hopemax

Who declared victory. Way to create a straw man to try to label people. Sometimes I just don’t get people 🤔
I'm on vacation, and don't want to spend too much time responding. Sometimes I don't get people either who will crucify people over the use of a single word.

It's obvious people are looking for every sign that this is part is coming to an end. People have been declaring premature endings this whole time.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm on vacation, and don't want to spend too much time responding. Sometimes I don't get people either who will crucify people over the use of a single word.

It's obvious people are looking for every sign that this is part is coming to an end. People have been declaring premature endings this whole time.
Yes, most people want this to end. Obviously not all :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom