News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanfze55

Why is this a bad thing.

They should be able to do whatever they feel is necessary to keep their kids safe.
It’s not bad, just nonsensical. I’m sure others think things I do are nonsensical. We are all different, and that makes the world function. However, I think in this particular case, the science is on my side. I believe the opposition is making an emotional decision whereas I’m making the logical one. Again, no “right” or “wrong,” just different perspectives

StaceyH_SD

I think that once the FDA gives full authorization you will see more employer mandates for vaccination and the masking mandates will go away for the most part. Also, once children under 12 can be vaccinated that will be a huge help.

So barring a vaccine busting mutation in the next few months I think things (at least for vaccinated people) will be getting back to something more like we’re used to in 6 months or so.

Ponderer

It can also mutate in a way that makes it more contagious, so it becomes the dominant strain, and significantly less deadly.

Sure. The issue is that the more possibilities for mutation, the more options you give the virus. There are a ton of Variants of Interest out there right now. I think we’ll see a ridiculous amount of them. Odds aren’t bad that you get a variant that crushes Delta but is far less likely to get you sick.

But you just don’t want to give it so much opportunity that you get, basically, a variant that checks all the boxes and torches us like the Spanish Flu in weeks or even days before we even get a chance to tune the vaccine. And right now, not just here but across the globe, it’s getting billions of dice rolls to do that.

Trauma

Sure. The issue is that the more possibilities for mutation, the more options you give the virus. There are a ton of Variants of Interest out there right now. I think we’ll see a ridiculous amount of them. Odds aren’t bad that you get a variant that crushes Delta but is far less likely to get you sick.

But you just don’t want to give it so much opportunity that you get, basically, a variant that checks all the boxes and torches us like the Spanish Flu in weeks or even days before we even get a chance to tune the vaccine. And right now, not just here but across the globe, it’s getting billions of dice rolls to do that.
I agree with you, I will just say even if we get in under control in the States this will be raging all over the world for a long time.

It’s kinda gonna be up to chance what’s going to happen.

E7YgssYXoAAJJ6A.png

bryanfze55

I thought it was explained members should not compare covid to the flu.
I didn’t share the picture, but can you give me one good reason why it’s wrong to explain to people that COVID is not statistically more dangerous to their kids than the flu is? Context matters, and it’s not as simple as saying “COVID is the flu.” It may help alleviate concerns for people with legitimate anxiety around the issue.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I’m wondering everyones opinion on this.

Once kids have the opportunity to be vaccinated and 35 percent of the population is still not vaccinated do we just let it rip?

Or do we just play mask on mask off games forever, whenever we have another spike among the unvaccinated?
Exactly. Are we going to hide and mask and never return to normal

Lilofan

I didn’t share the picture, but can you give me one good reason why it’s wrong to explain to people that COVID is not statistically more dangerous to their kids than the flu is? Context matters, and it’s not as simple as saying “COVID is the flu.” It may help alleviate concerns for people with legitimate anxiety around the issue.
Moderators rules so I comply.

Trauma

But not everyone will so then where are we? Masking forever?
Who knows, the current reason is to protect the children even though data doesn’t support the need.

That at least sounds noble doesn’t it?

Going to be a lot harder to argue we need to protect the unvaccinated.

They have plenty of time to figure it out, since despite the desperate need, there seems to be no rush to get vaccine approval for children.

Ponderer

So we are burdening the responsible vaccinated individuals because of speculation? We have no reason to believe there’s going to be a super mutant that evades our vaccines completely and is super transmissible. Could it happen? Sure. But that is ALWAYS going to be the case. I’m not sure what we don’t get about that yet. COVID is here to stay (you can count the number of viruses that have been totally eradicated on one hand) and just like the flu, it will mutate and have different variants on a regular basis. Vaccinated people remain largely, yet not entirely, protected from negative outcomes. If you don’t get poked, that’s on you. Hospitalization and death rates remaining low among children and the vaccinated are literally the only statistics we should be concerned about right now. Everyone else has made their bed.

It’s not speculation. We KNOW the viruses are mutating and in unexpected ways. Lambda is *already* evading the vaccines and we got lucky that it doesn’t seem to be able to transmit more. Right now, COVID is NOT like the flu, which only mutates at this point to maintain its comfortable equilibrium with human biology. COVID is new to the human biome. It is aggressively mutating to stay alive.

Right now. It’s like the Spanish Flu, which scientists think was a fairly bad but localized virus in the 1860s, then getting the opportunity to mutate in 1918, at which point it started ripping through communities in weeks and decimating families overnight. And it didn’t have a fraction of the opportunities to mutate that COVID does.

You don’t screw with viruses - especially when they’re already proving to be mutating at a staggering rate because of the opportunities we’re giving them.

So yeah. Masks, masks, and more masks. And that’s the last I’m gonna say on the issue, because even if I haven’t convinced you, the moderator has ruled.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Who knows, the current reason is to protect the children even though data doesn’t support the need.

That at least sounds noble doesn’t it?

Going to be a lot harder to argue we need to protect the unvaccinated.

They have plenty of time to figure it out, since despite the desperate need, there seems to be no rush to get vaccine approval for children.
Then why weren’t we protecting the children before? There is so much confusion around all of this.

bryanfze55

It’s not speculation. We KNOW the viruses are mutating and in unexpected ways. Lambda is *already* evading the vaccines and we got lucky that it doesn’t seem to be able to transmit more. Right now, COVID is NOT like the flu, which only mutates at this point to maintain its comfortable equilibrium with human biology. COVID is new to the human biome. It is aggressively mutating to stay alive.

Right now. It’s like the Spanish Flu, which scientists think was a fairly bad but localized virus in the 1860s, then getting the opportunity to mutate in 1918, at which point it started ripping through communities in weeks and decimating families overnight. And it didn’t have a fraction of the opportunities to mutate that COVID does.

You don’t screw with viruses - especially when they’re already proving to be mutating at a staggering rate because of the opportunities we’re giving them.

So yeah. Masks, masks, and more masks. And that’s the last I’m gonna say on the issue, because even if I haven’t convinced you, the moderator has ruled.
I’m convinced we need to take COVID seriously, but cloth masks are not going to prevent mutation. They just aren’t. It’s not masks, masks, and masks. It’s vaccine, vaccine, vaccine. That’s where we differ, I suppose.

bryanfze55

I also read an article yesterday that Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are able to neutralize the Lambda variant. Posted 7/29.

——
Experts are confident that the vaccines available for the coronavirus, including Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna, Johnson and Johnson and Astrazeneca, are effective at preventing severe illness from the delta variant of the coronavirus. A preliminary study, which has not been peer reviewed yet and is available as a preprint, suggests that the antibodies induced by the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are able to neutralize the lambda variant.

One of the study authors, Nathaniel Landau, said to the Post, "The vaccines induce such good antibodies that even if the virus is a little bit resistant, they are still quite sufficient to kill the virus."

——

So I’m not sure why we are concluding the lambda variant totally evades our vaccines with such certainty. Maybe they evade the crappy vaccines

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Have you heard of many reinfections among people who survived? Not really, unless that starts happening, it might not.
My older son told me he knew 6 people who got covid early on March 2020......bad.....and then got it again in the Fall 2020, like November....it did happen and likely to happen even more with variants.....

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I also read an article yesterday that Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are able to neutralize the Lambda variant. Posted 7/29.

——
Experts are confident that the vaccines available for the coronavirus, including Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna, Johnson and Johnson and Astrazeneca, are effective at preventing severe illness from the delta variant of the coronavirus. A preliminary study, which has not been peer reviewed yet and is available as a preprint, suggests that the antibodies induced by the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are able to neutralize the lambda variant.

One of the study authors, Nathaniel Landau, said to the Post, "The vaccines induce such good antibodies that even if the virus is a little bit resistant, they are still quite sufficient to kill the virus."

——

So I’m not sure why we are concluding the lambda variant totally evades our vaccines with such certainty. Maybe they evade the crappy vaccines
Says something similar to what you’re saying here.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes that was me.

I stand by that I do not agree with the mask mandate.

Safety theatre when people will be packed in like sardines for fireworks.

However I support Disney’s vaccine mandate for employees.

I Prioritize the vaccines over everything so that’s what matters to me.
Yeah…not to nitpick (here goes…)

but you said you’d cancel if they made YOU wear a mask…$41,000 was too much to pay….

but now they make managers get vaccines and you say “I’m in!!!”

I guess “self baiting and switching” works!?…you do you 👍🏻

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom