Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trauma

This will for sure push my kid’s districts to requiring masks at least until kids under 12 are approved. The High School will be interesting since all those kids are eligible.
I can already hear the parents now.

Why should I get my kid vaccinated they will have to wear a mask anyways.

LaughingGravy

My daughter got vaccinated to specifically not have to wear a mask.

Luckily for her I can afford private school great to have to figure this all out last minute.
I think someone may have been vaccinated for the wrong reason.
If your daughter is entered to private school, are you going to make them sign a contract stating there will be no mask requirement, or will you pull them out when a mask mandate happens?

How about just wear the mask? This is a new situation with the Delta variant, as unfortunate as it is.
I wonder how many will now claim the vaccines were useless, even though the probability is pretty darn high that the reason we are in this situation now is due to lack of vaccination in a timely manner combined with lax mask wearing.

Last edited:

Heelz2315

I have no desire to go wearing a mask anywhere. I've thought about it and will cancel. (for the second time). This time I really thought I was going to make it and not have to wear one.

mmascari

Red, maybe orange but yellow makes no sense. My county is yellow on that map and right now we have 18 people in hospitals with Covid zero on ventilators. In Jan we were close to 800 people hospitalized for comparison. However, that being said once this is announced most people around me will likely go back to masks either way. It’s over 50/50 in stores and in public already.
That's why I said I expect Orange and Yellow to both have a lot of nuance around them. The Red and Blue recommendations are probably really easy.

It could be something like "Vaccinated people at elevated risk in Yellow".
It could be something like "When moving from Red to Orange, not until it's been Orange for 7 days in a row".
It could be something like "When moving from Orange to Red, not until it's been Red for 2 days in a row".
It could be something like "Yellow when fully vaccinated percent is also below XX%".

With just 4 categories, there's lots of room for additional conditions to create nuance, ramp up, ramp down, in the middle conditions.

I think we can all guess that the strongest recommendation is going to be in Red, High Transmission areas, probably independent of vaccinated percentage.

If nothing else, it shows they're trying to find a direction that matches the conditions in the area instead of a one size fits all.

Just like the last change to guidance, it'll be the policy outcomes and actual behavior on the ground that matters. There's already a ton of people (mostly unvaccinated) not following the existing guidance. Having different guidance may not matter if nobody is going to follow it.

We just have to wait for the actual announcement, and then the policy announcements based on that guidance.

Joesixtoe

agree. I’m exhausted. We have done everything we can and we are being punished by the people that aren’t vaccinated. It’s their turn, in my mind. Let us live our lives and the unvaccinated adults can miss out. Require vaccine proof for large venues, hospitals, schools, planes, etc. They can deal with it
What about the people who already have antibodies? Can they just show proof of that? Will all of you on these boards be ok with that? Can we maybe start to push things like eating healthier, exercising and taking vitamin D along with zing to help build up your immune system? Make sure you wash your hands, don't touch your face so much, stop picking your nose and picking at your teeth with your finger nails? Not just pushing a vaccine that hasn't had a whole lot of trial time, that isn't FDA officially approved yet, and we don't know the potential long term effects? Can we just think logically about all this? I work at a hospital, I can count on one hand the amount of times I've heard of anyone missing days due to covid. Half the people if not more aren't even vaccinated. I see elderly nurses with just a surgical mask or even cloth in small little rooms working up patients who turn out to be covid positive. I'm just saying we all act like we know everything about covid and what the remedies are. We don't. We honestly and sincerely do not know. What we know is the elderly are much much more at risk for covid and the children are much much more at risk for the common cold than covid. Stop this authoritarian garbage, let people decide for themselves. Honestly you only have this divisive political climate we are in to blame and if anyone can't see that, then we are going to be stuck here for awhile.

LittleBuford

Anyone who’s choosing to travel at this time should be prepared for local rules to change before and even during their trip. We’re still in the middle of a pandemic, after all. The rush to act as if everything will soon be back to normal because of the vaccines has been a really unfortunate development of the past few months: it obfuscates the continuing seriousness of the situation, and it only leads to further frustration and impatience.

mmascari

I can already hear the parents now.

Why should I get my kid vaccinated they will have to wear a mask anyways.
It's a group project.

If enough are vaccinated, then none will need to wear a mask.

This has always been the most stupid of stupid arguments from people. They they cannot deal with advancing towards a goal if they don't get something immediately. So, instead they don't advance it and the goal never comes.

DisneyDebRob

That's why I said I expect Orange and Yellow to both have a lot of nuance around them. The Red and Blue recommendations are probably really easy.

It could be something like "When moving from Red to Orange, not until it's been Orange for 7 days in a row".
It could be something like "When moving from Orange to Red, not until it's been Red for 2 days in a row".
It could be something like "Yellow when fully vaccinated percent is also below XX%".

With just 4 categories, there's lots of room for additional conditions to create nuance, ramp up, ramp down, in the middle conditions.

I think we can all guess that the strongest recommendation is going to be in Red, High Transmission areas, probably independent of vaccinated percentage.

If nothing else, it shows they're trying to find a direction that matches the conditions in the area instead of a one size fits all.

Just like the last change to guidance, it'll be the policy outcomes and actual behavior on the ground that matters. There's already a ton of people (mostly unvaccinated) not following the existing guidance. Having different guidance may not matter if nobody is going to follow it.

We just have to wait for the actual announcement, and then the policy announcements based on that guidance.
I think if Disney goes to masking indoors, we are talking many many months before that goes away. I don’t see Florida getting out of red or any shade close to it the way things are going in the red state . This is all IF Disney follows the cdc recommendations.

mmascari

This will for sure push my kid’s districts to requiring masks at least until kids under 12 are approved. The High School will be interesting since all those kids are eligible.
Our district is supposed to announce this week. Previously, they created a virtual option people could apply for.

Frankly, in the High School, I wish they would just announce vaccine or do virtual, just like measles.
In the Middle School, assuming approval comes more than 8 weeks prior to the second semester, I wish for the same thing starting then.
The could do the same in the primary school then too, although I don't have kids there.

They'll probably just announce masks, but one can wish.

correcaminos

We had something with levels in Ohio...I hated trying to figure it out. I hope it is guidance as usual which means again we need to push our policy makers to enforce and do something. CDC guidance means nothing. If they make a convoluted guidance set of things like this, I'll honestly roll my eyes. It didn't help before...

LaughingGravy

Oh really ?

So when I asked my daughter if she wanted to vaccinate and she said “yeah I’m sick of this stupid mask” I should have denied her request because it’s not pure of heart.

Some of you are beyond words.
No, she should have been instructed on the other more important reasons and she still should have received the vaccination.
If not, would you just have provided a fake card, because that may have gotten her out of wearing the mask?

Pure of heart? You are a parent, not a fairy tale character, right?

I wish WDW had a Pinocchio dark ride. Maybe they will add one after the pandemic is over.

LittleBuford

I think if Disney goes to masking indoors, we are talking many many months before that goes away. I don’t see Florida getting out of red or any shade close to it the way things are going in the red state . This is all IF Disney follows the cdc recommendations.
I really can’t see Disney not following CDC recommendations. I would lose respect for them if they didn’t.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Anyone who’s choosing to travel at this time should be prepared for local rules to change before and even during their trip. We’re still in the middle of a pandemic, after all. The rush to act as if everything will soon be back to normal because of the vaccines has been a really unfortunate development of the past few months: it obfuscates the continuing seriousness of the situation, and it only leads to further frustration and impatience.
I’m not sure I understand this mentality. Since the start of the pandemic we have seen various mitigations ramped up and ramped down based on community spread and case levels. This is no different. March 2020 cases spiked in wave 1 and we went into full stay at home orders. Cases dropped down and we reopened and had a period of time things we’re Ok. Cases spiked in Nov-Jan during wave 2 and we reimplemented some mitigations and as cases dropped we relaxed those mitigations, cases continued to drop into the Spring, we relaxed more. Cases stayed low for a period this Summer but they are now ramping up with a possible 3rd wave so we dial the mitigations back up. People who don’t want mitigations wouldn’t have been any happier keeping them in place when cases bottomed put so there wouldn’t have been any less frustration or impatience.

mmascari

We had something with levels in Ohio...I hated trying to figure it out. I hope it is guidance as usual which means again we need to push our policy makers to enforce and do something. CDC guidance means nothing. If they make a convoluted guidance set of things like this, I'll honestly roll my eyes. It didn't help before...
I agree that On/Off type levels that can rapidly change are a poor policy. If we're going to have nuance and try to deal with local conditions, it needs to be something that's slow to reduce requiring a consistent improvement and fast but not immediate to turn back on, so it can react to a rapid change but isn't twitchy.

The alternative is a policy that's slow to remove and based on an improvement being so good that there's almost no chance of it slipping again. We've seen, the vaccinated are not willing to wait for this. And the unvaccinated adults tend to just not care. It's a poor combination.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I really can’t see Disney not following CDC recommendations. I would lose respect for them if they didn’t.
Technically they were open this Winter when the CDC was recommending that people only travel for essential reasons. They had a lot of precautions in place at the time. I think you are correct they will probably flex their rules based on whatever the CDC says. Internally they will probably hope the state turns yellow by 10/1.

oceanbreeze77

it will be interesting to see what happens to booming travel in the coming weeks.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
This was in the WaPo article on the possible CDC guidance update -

"Top health officials, who were debating the new masking guidance on Monday afternoon, said the game-changer was new data showing that vaccinated individuals infected with the delta variant carry the same viral load as unvaccinated individuals who are infected, according to three people familiar with the data. Vaccinated people are unlikely to become severely ill, but the new data raises questions about how easily they can transmit the disease, said the three individuals. Such transmission was not believed to happen in any significant way with earlier variants."

Seems to be quite a significant development there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom