Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member
This was in the WaPo article on the possible CDC guidance update -

"Top health officials, who were debating the new masking guidance on Monday afternoon, said the game-changer was new data showing that vaccinated individuals infected with the delta variant carry the same viral load as unvaccinated individuals who are infected, according to three people familiar with the data. Vaccinated people are unlikely to become severely ill, but the new data raises questions about how easily they can transmit the disease, said the three individuals. Such transmission was not believed to happen in any significant way with earlier variants."

All the more reason for unvaccinated people to get vaccinated. Now they have to worry about catching COVID from absolutely everyone, not just the others who are unvaccinated. As long as the vaccinated are not getting seriously ill, we can help them along to herd immunity the hard way.

maui2k7

We are going to Universal on Aug 4-7 & WDW Aug 7-12. If they bring back masks indoors, we may end up moving our vacation out several months. I do not want to wear a mask indoors - especially at WDW. That would not make for a magical vacation - especially for the price you pay. Yes, I am vaccinated.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

"Top health officials, who were debating the new masking guidance on Monday afternoon, said the game-changer was new data showing that vaccinated individuals infected with the delta variant carry the same viral load as unvaccinated individuals who are infected, according to three people familiar with the data. Vaccinated people are unlikely to become severely ill, but the new data raises questions about how easily they can transmit the disease, said the three individuals. Such transmission was not believed to happen in any significant way with earlier variants."

is NJ and NY will not change back indoor masks soon?

TrainsOfDisney

Thanks. That’s very interesting data. If it’s true... it sure seems to me that everyone should be wearing masks indoors / crowded areas.

HeartOfTeFiti

Can you enroll your kids back in school later in the year?

This spike may not last long and they will be eligible for vaccination soon. ( Hopefully )

Unless you mean virtual school for yourself.

Sorry I’m a bit confused.
Yes, we can reevaluate each semester. You can't switch mid-semester. Our county is making virtual school a permanent option and it will be a separate school with separate staff and administration housed in their own building. Each student has a choice of going to their home school or being enrolled in the virtual program. There won't be a hybrid option. If you choose virtual the student is no longer enrolled in their home (local, brick and mortar, physical building) school. Parents can choose to send their children back to in person school each semester but there has to be room for them, so it is contingent on class size limits and staffing. You also can't decide to change last minute. There is a deadline for each semester.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We will see what happens. I believe WDW will end up brining masks back indoors as well. That is their choice.

On a whole though, I still can't see these updated CDC guidelines around masks making a bit of difference to change the path we are on, unless a ton of businesses require masks IN CONJUCTION with other significant mitigation efforts such as capacity limits, etc. And remember where spread was mostly occurring in the winter? In private homes and settings. Have we determined if it is any different this time?
I’m sure they won’t just change recommendations for masks alone. If/when this announcement happens I would expect the guidance to include a recommendation on additional limitations for all activities in high spread areas. Maybe even a recommendation not to travel to those places and/or for unvaccinated people to quarantine upon return, they may recommend people avoid having private gatherings mixing vaccinated and unvaccinated people again. We here only focus on masks because of the impact to WDW. The CDC has broader focus. Indoor masks were the last major mitigation to be relaxed for fully vaccinated people so it makes sense it would be one of first to be reinstated if mitigations are ramped back up. Blame the unvaccinated who are dragging things out.

As far as WDW, who knows what they do? FL and specifically Orange County is definitely a high spread area right now so if this new CDC guidance recommends a return to indoor masks for everyone in high spread areas then they will be going against that recommendation if they don’t make the change. Tough call for the Mouse.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This also being reported for those with kids returning to school soon:

“Washington (CNN) The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is expected to recommend everyone in K-12 schools wear a mask, regardless of their vaccination status, as it updates its masking guidelines on Tuesday, according to an administration health official.”
I’m good with that. My 14 year old who is fully vaccinated won’t like it, but it makes sense, especially below the High School level where some kids aren’t eligible yet.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I’m sure they won’t just change recommendations for masks alone. If/when this announcement happens I would expect the guidance to include a recommendation on additional limitations for all activities in high spread areas. Maybe even a recommendation not to travel to those places and/or for unvaccinated people to quarantine upon return, they may recommend people avoid having private gatherings mixing vaccinated and unvaccinated people again. We here only focus on masks because of the impact to WDW. The CDC has broader focus. Indoor masks were the last major mitigation to be relaxed for fully vaccinated people so it makes sense it would be one of first to be reinstated if mitigations are ramped back up. Blame the unvaccinated who are dragging things out.

As far as WDW, who knows what they do? FL and specifically Orange County is definitely a high spread area right now so if this new CDC guidance recommends a return to indoor masks for everyone in high spread areas then they will be going against that recommendation if they don’t make the change. Tough call for the Mouse.

Not NJ? The state will not returning indoor masks soon?

Virtual Toad

I’m good with that. My 14 year old who is fully vaccinated won’t like it, but it makes sense, especially below the High School level where some kids aren’t eligible yet.
Same here. My kids are vaccinated but were already planning on masking up, especially my 7th grader who attends a K-8 school where the younger kids aren’t yet able to get a vaccine. Hoping local officials here turn the CDC guidance on this into a hard mandate.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I know my district won’t require masks either way. So I’m good with it too. :hilarious:

Trauma

I know my district won’t require masks either way. So I’m good with it too. :hilarious:
My daughter got vaccinated to specifically not have to wear a mask.

Luckily for her I can afford private school great to have to figure this all out last minute.

correcaminos

UGH....for those who were there during the masks how do they police this? Is it pretty lax or very strict with it? If you're in say the Carousel of Progress after the show starts can you remove it? Are they watching that close?
We were there for indoors only. Only once while doing a tour was I so busy chatting I forgot to put mine on. At the beginning of the line the CM gently asked me to put it on. I apologized so profusely after too. We were just walking so fast that I forgot.

I didn't see any non compliance really. Most people noticed before CMs said a thing. It really wasn't bad. And this was early June when it was pretty hot.

Honestly if it happens please don't be the one who intentionally breaks rules....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom