Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuddyThomas

I am sure it's happening. I don't know anyone personally but it has to have happened.

I stumbled on this earlier today. Not Disney but Universal. Came from my home state too
Yup, and this too, which is infuriating:

It took watching her 28 year old son die to make her realize "we need the vaccine"???? Seriously???? How ignorant can some people in this country be?????

DisneyCane

Surprising and depressing, isn't it?
I wonder when WDW attendance numbers will start to drop at this point.
They won't. The people who are going right now are not the ones who care about COVID. Either they are fully vaccinated or they don't see it as a risk.

I was there two days after the indoor mask policy was dropped and fewer than 5% of people still wore them. This is contrasted with up to 70% wearing them when they don't have to near where I live depending on the particular area.

I think it is more likely for the attendance to drop if they bring back the mask policy.

LaughingGravy

So between cash strapped Disney (golden parachutes not withstanding because those guys are worth it:rolleyes:), Delta variant, increased prices for a vastly inferior product (Monte Cristo in DL recently) and operating with only a fraction of resorts and other facilities such as restaurants, we can expect the same.

I am glad to be in the know and not putting my money toward the place.

Bjmach

I’m here now. Either folks are not concerned or don’t watch the news because so far on this trip. Have been to Disney Springs, Magic Kingdom and Epcot and have only seen roughly 10% wearing masks.

DisneyCane

I can’t stop laughing. That’s all I can do when faced with this bananas bonanza. It writes itself! So, what happens when this tactic fails them the next time around, too? I guess they’re happy to just continue sacrificing their constituents.
There's a thing called personal responsibility. They aren't sacrificing anybody. The constituents who decide not to be vaccinated are putting themselves at much higher risk than necessary.

DisneyCane

Those who are unvaccinated are choosing to put everyone else at risk...let's face it, they aren't doing what they're supposed to, period.
Everyone unvaccinated for the most part who. But the unvaccinated are putting themselves at risk in the first place.

Yes, they are also putting the immunocompromised and people who can't be vaccinated at risk. Unfortunately people in those categories will likely be at some level of risk for quite a while, if not forever.

DisneyCane

Despite removing mitigation measures, the UK Delta variant spike seems to clearly be on the decline. I expect the same thing will happen in FL and other areas of the US, just offset in time.

ltc.jpg

ImperfectPixie

Everyone unvaccinated for the most part who. But the unvaccinated are putting themselves at risk in the first place.

Yes, they are also putting the immunocompromised and people who can't be vaccinated at risk. Unfortunately people in those categories will likely be at some level of risk for quite a while, if not forever.
Because those choosing to be unvaccinated and not follow rules have created a breeding ground for the virus, they put EVERYONE at risk of a new variant that potentially evades the vaccines/immune system or that could be more deadly.

The epitome of selfishness.

Heppenheimer

no comment…just let this kinda “covid debate” wash over you

That same town hall meeting Governor Hutchinson attended contained this wonderful exchange:

He is clearly facing an uphill battle against willful stupidity.

Were people always this idiotic or did this start relatively recently? Maybe it was just my perception as a child, but adults when I was a kid... actually seemed to act like adults. I can't understand what the woman in the crowd was screaming, but it doesn't sound like the voice of someone who has calmly and dispassionately reviewed the scientific literature.

FYI, Arkansas... if you're worried about infertility, know that probably the most common cause of difficulty conceiving is obesity. And I see that your fine state is ranked as the third most obese in the country. Might want to get your priorities straight.

DisneyCane

Because those choosing to be unvaccinated and not follow rules have created a breeding ground for the virus, they put EVERYONE at risk of a new variant that potentially evades the vaccines/immune system or that could be more deadly.

The epitome of selfishness.
The potential vaccine evading new variant mantra has become the "chicken little" of COVID. Other than the constant new strains of influenza which I'm not sure is really the same thing, what virus has mutated to evade a vaccine since vaccines were discovered? I'm genuinely asking. Without clear examples, that narrative becomes just another scare tactic that will end up doing the opposite of increasing vaccine acceptance.

It is basically saying "get vaccinated but if enough people in the world don't get vaccinated quickly enough then the vaccine probably won't work long term anyway." Not really a compelling sales pitch for the hesitant/resistant.

A lot of things could happen. A bat could poop onto somebody's head an start the spread of a whole new virus for which there isn't a vaccine and that virus could be more deadly than COVID-19.

lazyboy97o

The potential vaccine evading new variant mantra has become the "chicken little" of COVID. Other than the constant new strains of influenza which I'm not sure is really the same thing, what virus has mutated to evade a vaccine since vaccines were discovered? I'm genuinely asking. Without clear examples, that narrative becomes just another scare tactic that will end up doing the opposite of increasing vaccine acceptance.

It is basically saying "get vaccinated but if enough people in the world don't get vaccinated quickly enough then the vaccine probably won't work long term anyway." Not really a compelling sales pitch for the hesitant/resistant.

A lot of things could happen. A bat could poop onto somebody's head an start the spread of a whole new virus for which there isn't a vaccine and that virus could be more deadly than COVID-19.
What is happening is hospitals again filling up, decreasing the level of care for all patients. But you’re not the one having to deal with it so it’s all fine.

DisneyCane

That same town hall meeting Governor Hutchinson attended contained this wonderful exchange:

He is clearly facing an uphill battle against willful stupidity.

Were people always this idiotic or did this start relatively recently? Maybe it was just my perception as a child, but adults when I was a kid... actually seemed to act like adults. I can't understand what the woman in the crowd was screaming, but it doesn't sound like the voice of someone who has calmly and dispassionately reviewed the scientific literature.

FYI, Arkansas... if you're worried about infertility, know that probably the most common cause of difficulty conceiving is obesity. And I see that your fine state is ranked as the third most obese in the country. Might want to get your priorities straight.

To be fair, one raving woman doesn't necessarily represent Arkansas as a whole. Obesity is probably also most common comorbidity for young people ending up with severe COVID issues.

Lilofan

What is happening is hospitals again filling up, decreasing the level of care for all patients. But you’re not the one having to deal with it so it’s all fine.
I saw firsthand when I took a loved one to the hospital ER. Hospitals filling up is a mild understatement, patients piled up in ER hallways waiting for an available room , patients lining up some in wheel chairs in 95 degree heat on the sidewalk waiting to get checked into the ER can send the message home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom