DINOSAUR merch removed

In the Parks
Yes
There is, generally speaking, only one place in all of Walt Disney World that I believe would be strictly improved by being bulldozed and paved over into an empty lot. This is because the Tomorrowland Speedway is literally a blight on the Magic Kingdom whose existence makes everything around it actively worse.

Dinoland, by comparison, really just needs some actual love and attention, starting with a long-overdue CTX refurb/modernization and continuing into a renewed emphasis on exploration of nature and the wonders of the past instead of the carnival subtheming. Swap out the restaurant formerly known as McDonalds for a "bounty of nature / heirloom foods" themed QS establishment, add a hiking trail attraction/experience themed around following in the footsteps of a roaming dinosaur (or, if you're a child, pretending that you're the dinosaur stomping through the forest), and maybe a tree climbing / ropes course upcharge opportunity if you can get it past the risk assessors in legal.

Or, you know, go all-in on the painfully self-aware "dinosaurs operating a two-bit carnival in the last days before the apocalypse" routine. Sell out for it so hard and so completely that the sheer audacity wraps back around to being somewhat impressive! (ATTN Disney: please actually don't pick this option.)

Cadbury

Original Poster
I see no way it doesn't in the current world.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't okay even when HM first opened. But hey let's wait a few decades before declaring it offensive, am I right? I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be having this conversation if the events of last year never happened.

ppete1975

Well, all that Dino related merchandise has unique UPC codes. By replacing all that merch with just a few generic items that are found in all the shops they will use far fewer UPC codes and thus save a ton of database space! There can be numerous reasons for this:

) They need the space for the Fastpass+ replacement.
) The director of land sea and air, er, I mean merchandising is lazy and doesn't want to deal with so much stuff.
) It was an accident (no reason).
) Amazon AWS is charging them $.01 per meg per day, so it's a cost saving measure.
) Cruella requested it, she's just mean.
) Aliens. Of course it was aliens.

</farce>

Someone please use this list to start a poll.
Thats cheap for a megladon!!

yes im aware a megladon is not a dinosaur but when else will i have a chance at this joke?

Overlordkitty

Does anyone know if this was a complete switch, as in the store was fully stocked with Dinosaur items yesterday, and now it's all gone today? Or has the product been dwindling, and it could no longer make a good retail display and was changed as a result?

This could just be a supply chain issue, and until they could do a display that didn't look picked over, they went with merchandise they have on hand.

If Dinosaur was going away, wouldn't they do some collector's shirt or something to generate more sales, not take potential sales away?

Cmdr_Crimson

This means the only "Dino" Related merch that they have left is the Dinoland Prizes that you got to win to get..And who know's when they will just "Disappear" and become generic prizes again....
Photo from Mickeyblog
plushes.jpeg

Dizmentia

Aside from the possibility that the Disney Dinosaur merchandise isn't selling well, I wonder if this has to do with how the dinosaurs in the attraction are considered to be outdated in their design. Joe Rohde said as much when they were talking about Donald's Dino Bash and introducing the ideas of more bird-like dinosaurs. I was shopping the other day and noticed some feathered dinosaur toys at a hobby store. And of course the new Jurassic World will be introducing feathered dinosaurs in the next movie.

Link to the feathered T-Rex toy I saw the other day (I can't post a picture for some reason):
https://www.safariltd.com/products/...GUfBMWsQbAKUm4deBq8MI9ZK0fkkEWjYaAmvUEALw_wcB

AugieMorosco

Aside from the possibility that the Disney Dinosaur merchandise isn't selling well, I wonder if this has to do with how the dinosaurs in the attraction are considered to be outdated in their design. Joe Rohde said as much when they were talking about Donald's Dino Bash and introducing the ideas of more bird-like dinosaurs. I was shopping the other day and noticed some feathered dinosaur toys at a hobby store. And of course the new Jurassic World will be introducing feathered dinosaurs in the next movie.

Link to the feathered T-Rex toy I saw the other day (I can't post a picture for some reason):
https://www.safariltd.com/products/...GUfBMWsQbAKUm4deBq8MI9ZK0fkkEWjYaAmvUEALw_wcB
I never thought of this, but it makes plenty of sense. It's certainly an improvement to acknowledge their appearance as it most likely was and not of the outdated cartoon variety.

rio

I came here because I saw this story and was curious if anyone knew more. Just closing down a land out of nowhere like it's a Quiznos in a bad neighborhood doesn't seem like a realistic thing to happen. There's been talk forever about revamping Dinoland, but with all of the construction delays, 50th in a few months, pandemic recovery, etc. it doesn't seem realistic that it would occur anytime in the next couple of years. I'm very curious about the merch disappearing. Hopefully more is revealed soon.
Eh - Plenty of buildings in Hollywood Studios were shuttered for a while before the reno. The more apt comparison though would probably be the WOL pavilion. Disney certainly has not problem closing down a building, especially one they can hide.

castlecake2.0

Does anyone know if this was a complete switch, as in the store was fully stocked with Dinosaur items yesterday, and now it's all gone today? Or has the product been dwindling, and it could no longer make a good retail display and was changed as a result?

This could just be a supply chain issue, and until they could do a display that didn't look picked over, they went with merchandise they have on hand.

If Dinosaur was going away, wouldn't they do some collector's shirt or something to generate more sales, not take potential sales away?
Probably this. Sometimes things will go through rebranding or package updates etc and there’s a gap between the old and new stuff. Once the presentation starts looking blah they’ll just pull it all off stage and wait for the new line to come in.

Kamikaze

I hope not. We don't need two of the same rides. Dino is fun on its own.
Neither ride is fun. Getting jerked and shaken back and forth is not exciting or thrilling. Its annoying.

Wow. I like Dinosaur, but i don't think it competes at all with Indy. I'd be sad if Dinosaur went away, though. I actually don't hate Dinoland when it's fully functioning with the meet & greets, though I have a strong bias towards the Ducks.
I don't like either one, but if you're comparing the two Indy is better by far. Dino's ride and story is just junk.

ppete1975

wouldnt you wait until you changed the ride before you changed the merch. I wonder if this is a supply chain issue or isnt selling enough for it to matter. Very odd though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom