Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCamel

Sometimes it is hard to get the intended tone across when posting. In hindsight I should have put a smiley after the joke.

I do whatever I can to convince all people to get vaccinated. Since I am not a member of some of the resistant communities I am not able to convince by example but I do try to use my relationships with people and trust they have in me to convince them.

In FL, Miami-Dade county has the highest percentage of Hispanics of any county as far as I'm aware and also has the highest vaccination rate. Stats like that give me some hope.
Miami Dade was also one of the hardest hit areas so the residents have lots of first hand knowledge of how bad it is. Great motivator to avoid it

Trauma

I listened to a few minutes of a live-stream about breakthrough cases and Delta on a local news channel's Facebook page this morning. The comments were astounding...FILLED with people saying they'd rather go back to full remote learning than have to mask up again. Never mind that tons of children didn't do well with remote, or that parents need to work, or that it was twice as much work for teachers...as long as they don't need to wear a piece of cloth on their face.

I can't even with people's selfishness anymore.
Makes perfect sense if you think about it.

LaughingGravy

I listened to a few minutes of a live-stream about breakthrough cases and Delta on a local news channel's Facebook page this morning. The comments were astounding...FILLED with people saying they'd rather go back to full remote learning than have to mask up again. Never mind that tons of children didn't do well with remote, or that parents need to work, or that it was twice as much work for teachers...as long as they don't need to wear a piece of cloth on their face.

I can't even with people's selfishness anymore.
I recently heard a comparison of forcing people to wear a mask if not vaccinated as forcing people to wear a scarlet letter for what should be their own personal choice.
Hester Prynne's actions of having a child due to an extramarital affair did not spread a highly contagious and verified deadly virus, but if that is the comparison being focused on, there's not much more I can do.

Trauma

So we turn everyone's lives upside-down again so some people don't have to wear masks?
Mission statement : Keep the kids safe

Solution : Send them to school in masks with a 300% more contagious strain.

They MUST remove their masks to eat.

Outbreak occurs.

School closes anyways.

Mission failure.

mmascari

About half the people in the US will be ok.

To be fully accurate 59.6% of adults are fully vaccinated so very likely to be OK. Most kids too if we are only talking about serious illness and/or death. It’s not lost on me that the 40% of adults not fully vaccinated represents over 100M souls at risk and over 80M of them have no protection at all from vaccination. Tragically sad to see. The more cases ramp up the more of those 100M people shift to the immune column the “hard way” :(

For those looking for a silver lining we are still doing over 2M first shots a week so we aren’t done with vaccinations yet.
About two thirds the people in the US will be ok.

Is that better? :cool:

Side note, I read an earlier post today that showed two thirds as "2/3" and subconsciously that made me think, wow that's just about everyone. Which is clearly wrong, it's not "just about everyone". A good example of how a number is presented has a lot of impact on us. That 2/3 number broke something down into 3 groups and said 2 of them were good. But, if it was 66%, using 100 groups and only 66 were good, doesn't sound so nice anymore. Or say 66.0001% with 1 million groups and only 660 thousand are good. All that scale matters.

ImperfectPixie

I recently heard a comparison of forcing people to wear a mask if not vaccinated as forcing people to wear a scarlet letter for what should be their own personal choice.
Hester Prynne's actions of having a child due to an extramarital affair did not spread a highly contagious and verified deadly virus, but if that is the comparison being focused on, there's not much more I can do.
If they're embarrassed or ashamed of wearing a mask because people will know they didn't get vaccinated...that's proof that deep down they know they're making a faulty choice.

AEfx

If they're embarrassed or ashamed of wearing a mask because people will know they didn't get vaccinated...that's proof that deep down they know they're making a faulty choice.

And let's not kid ourselves - there is a great deal of crossover between "I'm not getting vaccinated" and "I'm not wearing a mask if no one makes me".

Even vaccinated, I'm still masking when grocery shopping/etc. - and I see about maybe 1 out of 12 (max) other people doing so. A very low number. And from the looks we give each other and just observing the behavior of other masked individuals like myself, I'm pretty sure that those of us who are still wearing them are just vaccinated and simply trying to get what we need and then get the hell out of there, to avoid the massive amount of out-of-state tourists that infiltrate this time of year, who all seem to want to get close enough to lick you at every opportunity.

LaughingGravy

I don't think they see it that way, though. They see it as persecution for a personal choice.
Eating a cheeseburger if your religion forbids it or loving a nice strip of yummy bacon. That's a personal choice.

Update on masking here in N NJ: Easily 70% + I see are masked (and properly so, no noses sticking out) in the stores. A lot of stores either have signs now as A. Masks strongly suggested, or B. Masks are required for those unvaccinated.
There's honor system at play, but that's the situation here.
At work, a lot of those of us badged as vaccinated still wear masks in all places except our own small areas where we are alone. As a courtesy when visiting others, we wear masks and those we are visiting mask up upon seeing us.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

And let's not kid ourselves - there is a great deal of crossover between "I'm not getting vaccinated" and "I'm not wearing a mask if no one makes me".

Even vaccinated, I'm still masking when grocery shopping/etc. - and I see about maybe 1 out of 12 (max) other people doing so. A very low number. And from the looks we give each other and just observing the behavior of other masked individuals like myself, I'm pretty sure that those of us who are still wearing them are just vaccinated and just trying to get the hell out of there, and avoid the massive amount of out-of-state tourists that infiltrate this time of year who seem to want to get close enough to lick you at every opportunity.
Agreed on all points. The last two weeks, my son and I were the only ones wearing masks in the supermarket. The ONLY ONES. Not even kids under 12 were masking.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
About two thirds the people in the US will be ok.

Is that better? :cool:

Side note, I read an earlier post today that showed two thirds as "2/3" and subconsciously that made me think, wow that's just about everyone. Which is clearly wrong, it's not "just about everyone". A good example of how a number is presented has a lot of impact on us. That 2/3 number broke something down into 3 groups and said 2 of them were good. But, if it was 66%, using 100 groups and only 66 were good, doesn't sound so nice anymore. Or say 66.0001% with 1 million groups and only 660 thousand are good. All that scale matters.
Yeah, my post wasn’t an attempt to say it was negative or positive, just the facts. To take it out of the context of percents, 104M adults in the US are not currently fully vaccinated. Maybe 8-10M have 1 shot and are in the process of completing the series but that’s still quite a few people left without protection. If we assume somewhere close to 20% of the population has had Covid (10% tested positive and 10% more untested) and we also assume that the percent is the same in the vaccinated and unvaccinated population then 10-20% of those unvaccinated adults has natural immunity. That’s still only 10-20M people meaning 80-90M adults right now are not vaccinated or naturally immune :(

Angel Ariel

I’m praying our district sticks with universal masking until fda approval (for the older ones, since so many cite lack of full approval as a reason for being unvaccinated) and under 12 is available.

ImperfectPixie

I’m praying our district sticks with universal masking until fda approval (for the older ones, since so many cite lack of full approval as a reason for being unvaccinated) and under 12 is available.
I spoke to two of my son's teachers this morning..as of right now, it's "recommended for those 12 and under or unvaccinated", but they think it will change. I'm praying it does.

Trauma

Please explain this to me I’m still lost on this thing.

You take 20 people and put them in a room for 5 hours - all masked.

Halfway thru this time together, they all take of their masks for 30 minutes.

Are they protected from transmission?

LaughingGravy

Yeah, my post wasn’t an attempt to say it was negative or positive, just the facts. To take it out of the context of percents, 104M adults in the US are not currently fully vaccinated. Maybe 8-10M have 1 shot and are in the process of completing the series but that’s still quite a few people left without protection. If we assume somewhere close to 20% of the population has had Covid (10% tested positive and 10% more untested) and we also assume that the percent is the same in the vaccinated and unvaccinated population then 10-20% of those unvaccinated adults has natural immunity. That’s still only 10-20M people meaning 80-90M adults right now are not vaccinated or naturally immune :(
I hope a lot of people know the difference between natural immunities.
There are a lot who are are under the impression that they are naturally immune because they were exposed to someone clearly sick and they didn't catch it with serious consequences. Never mind about the variants, they are immune.:rolleyes:

Same with folks who got it early in 2020 or late 2019 ( who think they did, but when tested for antibodies, none showed up) who were sick. Never mind about the variants, they are immune as well....mmmm maybe.

There's the type that will never be sick and never catch it short of it being forced into them. Those people exist. It doesn't mean they don't spread it. I think a lot of unvaccinated people are rolling the dice hoping that's the case., and not caring whether they spread it or no, because "Not my problem".
That's like me speeding all the time and running red lights ('cause I looked to make sure I wouldn't hit anyone) and never wearing a seatbelt. I might be OK, but I'm not chancing it. Oh, but it's not just about me. I might hit someone.

Angel Ariel

Please explain this to me I’m still lost on this thing.

You take 20 people and put them in a room for 5 hours - all masked.

Halfway thru this time together, they all take of their masks for 30 minutes.

Are they protected from transmission?
It’s not full protection, no. But 30 mins of being unmasked is better than being all unmasked together in that room for 7 hrs, which is what a vocal minority in my community is fighting for currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom