Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

My husband is agog. My MIL was supposed to come over for our son's HS graduation last summer and that didn't happen. We had tentatively planned on visiting there this summer, which of course, we're not. He is thinking it's going to be a while more before he gets to see his family.

I'm kind of shocked Boris Johnson is doing this. It's such a slap in the face to the people who took care of him while he was knockin' on heaven's door.
I couldn’t agree more with your second paragraph. I’m at a loss to understand how someone who nearly lost his life to the virus could play so fast and loose with the lives of others.

I’m sorry that your husband hasn’t been able to see his family. I very much empathise—in all likelihood, I won’t be seeing mine before this Christmas, after a gap of almost two years.

disneygeek90

That is just not true. There are plenty of intelligent people out there making their own decisions to not get vaccinated.
Just because people choose to make a different decision about vaccinations than you doesn't mean they are being manipulated.
I'm with the pp- at this point everyone has made their choice willingly. If you choose not to get the vaccine then you accept that risk, the rest of us will continue with living life and not worrying about them.
Intelligent people making unintelligent decisions.

DisneyCane

if this is true, then all the reports of low infections in vaccinated people currently in the US should continue going forward, proving yet again, this is only a “plague amongst the unvaccinated.”

It’s like the CDC, Surgeon General, and Dr Fauci know what they’re talking about, who would have guessed 🙄.

Unvaccinated: Panic, and immediately go get your shots

Vaccinated: Keep Calm and live on!

Also, kids less then 12 continue to be well protected from severe disease.
Assuming it is true (and I have no reason to doubt it), it makes that one study out of Israel saying that the Pfizer vaccine is only 64% effective against infection with Delta. If it was that low, given the prominence of Delta in the US, we'd be seeing a lot more breakthrough cases in the jurisdictions that report them. By August, Delta will probably be close to 100%.

Trauma

People are more often poor judges of character than they are flat-out stupid. We need to call out the leaders that are purposely sacrificing their followers for political gain.

I'm not advocating anything except calling out those leaders that are doing the lying and manipulating. There's video all over the internet of the same people doing the same thing over and over again. There are some media outlets helping them, but it started with the leaders in question. If I had my druthers, they'd be in jail for all the death, illness, and other damages they've purposely caused.

I'm furious with them. I'm sad for their families and friends. But the issues didn't start with them...it started with a particular group in leadership roles. THEY are who we should all be furious at and be holding accountable.
People are more often poor judges of character than they are flat-out stupid. We need to call out the leaders that are purposely sacrificing their followers for political gain.

I'm not advocating anything except calling out those leaders that are doing the lying and manipulating. There's video all over the internet of the same people doing the same thing over and over again. There are some media outlets helping them, but it started with the leaders in question. If I had my druthers, they'd be in jail for all the death, illness, and other damages they've purposely caused.

I'm furious with them. I'm sad for their families and friends. But the issues didn't start with them...it started with a particular group in leadership roles. THEY are who we should all be furious at and be holding accountable.
What’s the most aggravating thing of all is that these media outlets on both sides are CLEARLY more concerned about ratings and scoring political points than providing the truth.

Everything has to be spun and twisted to make another group look stupid.

Our news should be facts only and clearly labeled as such.

Everything else should have a disclaimer that it is opinion and not strictly factual, and also should not be allowed to use the word news in the program title.

We don’t have news.

We have a bunch of channels with opinions throwing poop at one another.

disneygeek90

Maybe but I really don't care what they decide. I got my vaccination, I really don't care who or why someone else chooses not too
Except the unvaccinated people are the cause of breakthroughs, the reason for discussions of rolling back on restrictions, the reason why test sites are reaching capacity, and the reason that we are still talking about this when the entire country has been eligible for months and could be virtually eliminated in the states. Anyone who hasn't taken the vaccine (if eligible) is downright exhausting at this point.

RWilliams

Premium Member
That is my plan. I'm sorry to sound harsh and uncaring about others, but it is no longer my problem that covid is infecting people at rapid rates; especially because at this point it is mostly impacting those who have personally chosen to put their lives at risk. Hopefully our officials start looking at it in this light and don't resort to punishing the rest of us for this insolence. It's an unfortunate price to pay.
I would agree with you but families like mine with kids under 12 are up the Swanee. We aren't able to get back to normal due to the high level of community transmission and the low vaccination rates in our area, add to that the fact that masks will be optional in schools in August, there will be no realistic virtual school option due to executive order of our governor and I worry we'll be pretty much stuck at home until after Christmas.

MorphinePrince

I would agree with you but families like mine with kids under 12 are up the Swanee. We aren't able to get back to normal due to the high level of community transmission and the low vaccination rates in our area, add to that the fact that masks will be optional in schools in August, there will be no realistic virtual school option due to executive order of our governor and I worry we'll be pretty much stuck at home until after Christmas.
I empathize so much with you and others in your situation. It sucks your governor didn't feel the need to accommodate a virtual option for another year. My district downsized their virtual school for this year but its still an option for some, which makes me happy for those who need it.

ImperfectPixie

There are definitely people out there being manipulated but it seems like you are implying that anyone not getting vaccinated is doing it because they are being manipulated. And judging by your posts it's by certain political leaders.
That is simply not true, and if you don't believe that then maybe you are the one being manipulated by what others are telling you.
A said a large number. Not all. There's a big difference.

Go watch the videos these politicians are uploading themselves. It's all out there for everyone to see.

mmascari

There are plenty of intelligent people out there making their own decisions to not get vaccinated.
Any examples of an intelligent reason to not get vaccinated?

I'm familiar with the extremely rare medical conditions that either prevent vaccination or make it not work well. But, there's not enough of those people to qualify as "plenty".

So, what are examples that would be used to get to "plenty" of intelligent people?

We've seen lots of posts here stating different risks of the vaccines. Every single one of them has reflected a misunderstanding of comparative risks along with the number of significant digits to quantify that risk vs the risk it prevents.

It's like not looking left-right-left when crossing the street, but only left-right because there's a risk you could pull a muscle when doing that second left look. That's true, you could. But, it's lower risk than being hit by a car unless you have preexisting neck issue and a very low traffic road. Plus, if the risk came true, the impact of the pulled muscle is many orders of magnitudes lower than the impact from the car you don't see.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What’s the most aggravating thing of all is that these media outlets on both sides are CLEARLY more concerned about ratings and scoring political points than providing the truth.

Everything else should have a disclaimer that it is opinion and not strictly factual, and also should not be allowed to use the word news in the program title.

We don’t have news.

A lot of media outlets are no longer trying to provide news, they are trying to entertain. There isn't a big enough audience out there for facts only news.

ImperfectPixie

We don’t have news.

I won't watch any form of televised, broadcast, or streamed news. I read my news and I'm pretty particular about the sources. I check news sources I see links from regularly if I'm not already familiar with their bias and levels of factuality.

The scary part is that the politicians I keep bringing up are putting up their videos themselves. No one has to warp what they're saying or edit the clips - it's all right there from the horse's mouth.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I'm familiar with the extremely rare medical conditions that either prevent vaccination or make it not work well. But, there's not enough of those people to qualify as "plenty".

So, what are examples that would be used to get to "plenty" of intelligent people?

We've seen lots of posts here stating different risks of the vaccines. Every single one of them has reflected a misunderstanding of comparative risks along with the number of significant digits to quantify that risk vs the risk it prevents.

It's like not looking left-right-left when crossing the street, but only left-right because there's a risk you could pull a muscle when doing that second left look. That's true, you could. But, it's lower risk than being hit by a car unless you have preexisting neck issue and a very low traffic road. Plus, if the risk came true, the impact of the pulled muscle is many orders of magnitudes lower than the impact from the car you don't see.

Emotion can easily override logic even in highly intelligent people.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
That is crap. Let this ban me from my own thread - it’s a hill I’m prepared to die on. But ONE side has proudly held the belief that it was nothing to worry about. I refuse to let that rest on both. That goes BEYOND the US.

I really find it infuriating.

GimpYancIent

We don’t have news.

Yes, there is a lot! of 💩 being tossed around and the stench is suffocating.

Does it matter what examples I use, are you really going to see it any differently?

I know quite a few people not willing to get the vaccine, some close to me, some not. People in varying professions, even a couple in healthcare. Not all college educated, but successful in their own right. And get this- they aren't all members of a single political party.
Their reasons are valid for them, their body their choice. They know what they are risking at this point, they have accepted that risk. Good enough for me, not my problem if that isn't good enough for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom