News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otterhead

They would have a reason to do it if conditions in the area continue to deteriorate as they have been over the last few weeks and guests lose confidence in being safe at the parks. I think COVID over the last 16 months has told us to never say never with regard to anything.
This is key, I think. WDW's reputation for taking care of its guests and keeping them safe is massively important. The worst case scenario for the company would be an outbreak directly linked to the park or something similar to impact guest confidence just as they're finally starting to staff up. WDW has done a great job of normalizing mask-wearing in the parks when needed. Local residents will be furious, I'm sure, but bringing back masks for awhile shouldn't be a big deal.

Disney Glimpses

If Disney were to bring back masks, I think it would be done in phases; as they have done with everything regarding COVID. I would expect to see masks go back on CMs first.

Disney Glimpses

In May they just had piles of disposable masks for guests who “forgot”. I assume they’d do the same again.
Watch the shopDisney prices for masks. So far, no movement.
1626712874317.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Don’t comply? Don’t come in. Simple.

Works in Paris.
…don’t worry…we’re having the water quality checked there…
(But we already know the answer 😎)
They are right though. People would be far braver in defying the rules this time around. The park-wide disruptions could be numerous.
That is a different stance/discussion…but I agree. The only answer her is extending the vaccine shield ASAP. Mask mandates or various other mitigations will get more backlash than they are worth

“America: where you have to be shown you’re wrong/aren’t an expert…even if it kills someone”

Disney Glimpses

This is key, I think. WDW's reputation for taking care of its guests and keeping them safe is massively important. The worst case scenario for the company would be an outbreak directly linked to the park or something similar to impact guest confidence just as they're finally starting to staff up. WDW has done a great job of normalizing mask-wearing in the parks when needed. Local residents will be furious, I'm sure, but bringing back masks for awhile shouldn't be a big deal.
The difference is it would be Disney now making the public health decisions regarding their Guests and not the CDC. I am fairly certain that is a realm they do not want to live in. Because once they put them on their Guests, it's on them to make the decision when it is safe to take them off.

Disney does not want that responsibility on their shoulders which is why I think they will continue to follow the CDC guidance which is requiring masks indoors for unvaccinated people (which they do via self-certification or the "honor system").

Disney is in the business of making Magic®, not making public health policy.

EeyoreFan#24

I think it’s whatever the “reputation of the day” is. Whatever trend is in, according to public opinion. Customer preference flips to strict enforcement, back to customer preference, etc. Flavor of the day according to the public and what they read.

Disney Glimpses

Also consider at least half those deaths were before mask mandates and these states have lower death rates, positivity rates, and cases than Florida does now. I'm surprised there is still even a debate over whether masking helped reduce transmission. Fair or not to people who are vaccinated, fine.
No one here is saying masks don't reduce transmission. But often an unvaccinated person wearing a mask is equated to a vaccinated person without a mask. They couldn't be further from each other in their ability to reduce transmission.

Otterhead

Disney is in the business of making Magic®, not making public health policy.
This is somewhat true, but it's not very Magical® to neglect ways to protect your guests in favor of making the locals angry again. Disney's made 'health policies' for decades by choosing whether people can smoke in the parks, offering hand sanitizer -- simple common sense things to keep guests healthy. Wearing masks during a surging global pandemic should not be controversial, but here we are.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
True, but I don't think the people that don't feel safe in the parks right now wouldn't feel safe in the parks even if there were mask policies in place.
I think there are a lot of parents who are concerned about taking their unvaccinated under 12's to a theme park where about 50% of the crowd is not vaccinated, not distancing, and not wearing a mask.

pdude81

They could do indoor mask requirements with certain metrics for when it would/wouldn't be in effect. I think an outdoor mask mandate would be unenforceable and unnecessary.

Disney Glimpses

This is somewhat true, but it's not very Magical® to neglect ways to protect your guests in favor of making the locals angry again. Disney's made 'health policies' for decades by choosing whether people can smoke in the parks, offering hand sanitizer -- simple common sense things to keep guests healthy. Wearing masks during a surging global pandemic should not be controversial, but here we are.
That is true, but Disney is never going to allow smokers in the park again. When does Disney say the masks can come off? They are on their own, it would be on them to make that decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom