Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreday3

Don't be sad for my post @LittleBuford - be sad for those who are choosing not to get vaccinated. It's the most selfish act of all. They don't want to be educated, they want to remain ignorant.

DisneyCane

IMO the goal should to be get as many vaccinated as possible so this will end. People should be encouraging others to get vaccinated. The attitude of I got mine so I no longer care doesn't help at all.
I have personally tried to talk people into getting vaccinated who believe kooky stuff. I think everybody who isn't medically ineligible or under 12 should get vaccinated. If they don't listen to me or don't listen to others, how can I continue to care? They've made their (IMO bad) decision and now they have to live with it.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Don't be sad for my post @LittleBuford - be sad for those who are choosing not to get vaccinated. It's the most selfish act of all. They don't want to be educated, they want to remain ignorant.
There’s plenty of sadness to go around. Your post and others like it are, to me at least, highly dispiriting. I see your attitude as akin to denying sympathy to drug addicts or those with self-inflicted lung cancer.

dreday3

There’s plenty of sadness to go around. Your post and others like it are, to me at least, highly dispiriting. I see your attitude as akin to denying sympathy to drug addicts or those with self-inflicted lung cancer.

You know nothing about me and we'll leave it at that.

DisneyCane

Hong Kong, South Korea (I suppose one could consider it an island given its pariah neighbour to the north, but it’s hardly isolated), and Vietnam. I realise the region has experienced a rise in numbers in recent months, but the overall picture is still very different from what we see in Europe and the US.
Regardless of how island like or isolated any of those places are (which IMO all are pretty well isolated, i.e. can control their border pretty easily), none of them eliminated COVID-19 using any mitigation measures.

There are only one possible way for SARS-CoV-2 to cease to exist. A high enough percentage of the world needs to be immune. They can either get immune safely with a vaccine or in a risky (to a varying degree) way by getting infected. No other practical method will work.

DisneyDebRob

That’s not how society works. As the piece I shared makes clear, an overburdened health system is to everyone’s detriment.
As you well know.. if the person is not receptive to listening to other points of view.. especially where we will all pay the price in the long run, they will not read most of your post, and no chance on reading the link you provided. I read the link you provided and to this day don’t understand people’s ” well , I don’t care because I’m vaccinated , what happens to them I don’t care about”. Not only is it horrible to think of a fellow human like that, whether they are conspiracy theorists or just don’t want it, but not thinking it hurts us all in the long run. Everyone should get the shot.. it’s safe.. it’s effective.. it can save your life or someone else’s.
We pay more for healthcare because of people that smoke.. .. people that drink heavily..etc. it costs us all. So even though some “ don’t care” about the unvaccinated, maybe they might care about the costs that we will all pay because of the ongoing care or sickness.

Jrb1979

Agreed. For me it's sad to see such a low vaccination rate and how many don't care to get vaccinated. For me living in a neighboring country, the attitude towards vaccines in one country versus the other is crazy. Here people are getting vaccinated cause we want this to end.

LittleBuford

Very few people “choose” to remain ignorant. Disinformation is a very real problem, and especially pernicious and resilient when it’s couched in religious or ideological terms. It’s not difficult to reserve a little sympathy for those who’ve been convinced to act against their own and others’ best interest.

dreday3

Very few people “choose” to remain ignorant. Disinformation is a very real problem, and especially pernicious and resilient when it’s couched in religious or ideological terms. It’s not difficult to reserve a little sympathy for those who’ve been convinced to act against their own and others’ best interest.

Yes, there are quite a few who do. Perhaps you are lucky not to know any.

And oof, you really don't want to hear my thoughts on organized religion and "god". ;)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
IMO the goal should to be get as many vaccinated as possible so this will end. People should be encouraging others to get vaccinated. The attitude of I got mine so I no longer care doesn't help at all.

It's not a case of saying we don't care about others because we got our vaccine, it's a case of saying that we have done everything we can as an individual to encourage others, and if they still don't get it, what more can we do?

LittleBuford

Regardless of how island like or isolated any of those places are (which IMO all are pretty well isolated, i.e. can control their border pretty easily), none of them eliminated COVID-19 using any mitigation measures.

There are only one possible way for SARS-CoV-2 to cease to exist. A high enough percentage of the world needs to be immune. They can either get immune safely with a vaccine or in a risky (to a varying degree) way by getting infected. No other practical method will work.
Their mitigation measures were highly effective. Compare their numbers to those of the UK, which actually is separated from the mainland and, being on the other side of the world, had several weeks extra to mount its response.

dreday3

I know several, and perhaps that’s why I remain sympathetic to them and others like them.

I don't hold any sympathy for those with core beliefs that are detrimental to others in society. Not getting vaccinated is a choice.
Nothing anyone can anymore will change that. So stop trying to paint people as uncaring when mostly they are now just being realistic.

ImperfectPixie

I don’t think someone’s “core beliefs” are manifested in their willingness or otherwise to get the vaccine. No doubt there are millions of good people who have been fooled into believing that they shouldn’t be vaccinated.
It all started with...

"It's just going to go away".

ETA: I believed it the first time he said it.

dreday3

I don’t think someone’s “core beliefs” are manifested in their willingness or otherwise to get the vaccine. No doubt there are millions of good people who have been fooled into believing that they shouldn’t be vaccinated.

You are the one who said " especially pernicious and resilient when it’s couched in religious or ideological terms.

That's why I responded with core beliefs.

And how long do we try to convince those "fooled" - they've been presented all kinds of information/evidence/experts and they still don't believe? I mean...to me that's bordering on willful ignorance.

Angel Ariel

I know i have a relative who was raised in Christian Science, which is a large part of why she is against getting this vaccine...(and most vaccines)..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom