WDW Resorts Reopening Thread

sullyinMT

There are trade offs and many things about a Motel 6 (such as larger rooms and microwaves at many locations) are superior to the All Star resorts. It’s a *very* valid comparison because it’s literally what Disney was going for - the old style Super 8 / Days Inn / Motel 6 exterior hotel motif when there was rooms around a central communal gathering area. Very 1950s/60s. All Star Sports was a dump by 2019; it had literally never had the typical to-the-studs refurb that Disney typically does every 15ish years, 27 years on. It had double beds, ratty furniture, a curtain as it’s only separation for the bathroom, and wallpaper borders and bed runners that screamed 1994. And when people think of the all stars, that’s what they think of.

Disney knew it was a problem and has been systematically gutting every single room. The refurbished All Star Movies rooms are lightyears better. The refurbished All Star Music Family Suites are (save for the lack of theming) better than their Art of Animation counterparts, with 3 real beds vs 2, plus a full size fridge. The next cheapest room with three real beds on property is a 2 bedroom villa at Old Key West.

So yeah, the old All Star rooms deserve to get noted as ****, because they’re ****, but the refurbished ones are actually pretty great stuff.
The full-size beds and kinda shoddiness never appealed to us, and we’re not look-down-our nose types. But the new POP is intriguing for its concept, if not stark. The new All-Stars are similar.

castlecake2.0

The full-size beds and kinda shoddiness never appealed to us, and we’re not look-down-our nose types. But the new POP is intriguing for its concept, if not stark. The new All-Stars are similar.
I’ve said it in other threads, the pop century rooms are one of my favourites on property now. They are so user friendly. I stayed at the grand destino tower last week and the room was beautiful, but pop still had the better features.

sullyinMT

I’ve said it in other threads, the pop century rooms are one of my favourites on property now. They are so user friendly. I stayed at the grand destino tower last week and the room was beautiful, but pop still had the better features.
Yeah, I think it’s the Murphy bed. Our one stay in AoA’s family suites (Nemo) was really enjoyable due to the family conversations around the table. Maybe it’s just nostalgia for that trip, but POP is on our “to try” list, for sure.

CaptainAmerica

1625751341370.png

jmp85

Was able to get a reservation at POR this morning. Geesh, almost $450 bucks for a Saturday night at Riverside (that was my deposit). Wanted to get a 'Wooded View' so we could be in the Bayou, but ended up with Preferred. Looks like it'll be sold out shortly.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Was able to get a reservation at POR this morning. Geesh, almost $450 bucks for a Saturday night at Riverside (that was my deposit). Wanted to get a 'Wooded View' so we could be in the Bayou, but ended up with Preferred. Looks like it'll be sold out shortly.
Is that their “rack rate” now or were you using some kind of discount?

jmp85

Is that their “rack rate” now or were you using some kind of discount?
Rack rate for 10/16 (Saturday) for 'Preferred Room' is $401; with taxes, my card was charged $452 for the deposit. There aren't any discounts out for these dates yet, and I expect them to be very, very minimal. Pretty soon POR is going to be priced in-line with AKL.

jaklgreen

Look, is All-Star Sports my favorite resort on property? For goodness sakes, no. To start with, they should have thought about the acronym possibilities when they named it. But to constantly deride the All-Stars and compare them to Motel 6? There's a Motel 6 in my local area that the hookers avoid because it's too low class. The All-Stars may not be anything exceptional but they are clean, comfortable, and on Disney property. That's enough for some people. And I get tired of the attitude I read on here of looking down noses at people who can't afford the Polynesian and actually choose to stay at a value resort over staying off-site.

The All Star resorts where great when they opened and for many year after. They are nice rooms on property that made it possible for many families to stay on site. But they were also reasonably priced, which made them great. Now, unless you are going at an extremely slow time and get a deal, they are not worth rack rate.

jmp85

That is a lot of money for a moderate.
We actually have another reservation at Coronado for the same time. We can stay at Coronado (non-tower) for 6 nights for less than 5 nights at Riverside. Pretty sure I'm going to end up cancelling the Riverside reservation, although it is our absolute 'happy place.'

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Interesting, I was able to get a weekend in October for about 290 (Pool View), which was still higher than I wanted however, there is no discount yet for Fall stays. Typically you'd expect a 20% discount or so which would bring it down to about $232 which is my expectation for a moderate in October, although we got Coronado for $185 last Fall, but that was during a large spike in Covid.

Side note, since October and November seem to be selling out without a discount, will Disney forgo the Fall discounts this year?

jmp85

Interesting, I was able to get a weekend in October for about 290 (Pool View), which was still higher than I wanted however, there is no discount yet for Fall stays. Typically you'd expect a 20% discount or so which would bring it down to about $232 which is my expectation for a moderate in October, although we got Coronado for $185 last Fall, but that was during a large spike in Covid.

Side note, since October and November seem to be selling out without a discount, will Disney forgo the Fall discounts this year?

Both the 'Preferred' and 'River' view rooms were racked at the $401 for that Saturday. Below is the 'River' rates.

My expectation for Moderates is about the same ($200-$275, depending on the room type). I expect Disney will throw some type of discount out there, but I'm guessing it'll match whatever the all-time low is. Which reservation we keep will depend on whatever discount (or lack thereof) is offered.

DateRate per Night
Oct. 16 Saturday$401.00
Oct. 17 Sunday$355.00
Oct. 18 Monday$342.00
Oct. 19 Tuesday$342.00
Oct. 20 Wednesday$342.00
Oct. 21 Thursday$355.00

jaklgreen

Not this year. It is the 50th and couple that with people putting off their trips because of Covid, it is going to be packed this October. They won't need to discount the rooms.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I get people like being "immersed in the magic" but for $250/night you can stay at the sparkling five-star JW Marriott which is a three minute drive from POR.
That is rarely 250 a night. Usually over 300 with fees but I do get your point. There is something special about being on property though at certain Disney resorts. That is why the Swan and Dolphin are our go to for non Disney owned resorts for price and location.

jmp85

That is rarely 250 a night. Usually over 300 with fees but I do get your point. There is something special about being on property though at certain Disney resorts. That is why the Swan and Dolphin are our go to for non Disney owned resorts for price and location.
I think you could throw the 'over-priced' label on any of the Disney resorts, not just the Moderates. If there ends up being zero discount in the fall as some have speculated, we'll definitely cancel Riverside. Love it, but can't justify ~400 per night with tax and parking fees. We'd probably keep our Coronado reservation, which is still pricey by normal Disney standards, but about 30% savings compared Riverside.

DateRate per Night
Oct. 16 Saturday$302.00
Oct. 17 Sunday$276.00
Oct. 18 Monday$266.00
Oct. 19 Tuesday$266.00
Oct. 20 Wednesday$266.00
Oct. 21 Thursday$276.00

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I think you could throw the 'over-priced' label on any of the Disney resorts, not just the Moderates. If there ends up being zero discount in the fall as some have speculated, we'll definitely cancel Riverside. Love it, but can't justify ~400 per night with tax and parking fees. We'd probably keep our Coronado reservation, which is still pricey by normal Disney standards, but about 30% savings compared Riverside.

DateRate per Night
Oct. 16 Saturday$302.00
Oct. 17 Sunday$276.00
Oct. 18 Monday$266.00
Oct. 19 Tuesday$266.00
Oct. 20 Wednesday$266.00
Oct. 21 Thursday$276.00
I won’t argue with you there. My hope is that the typical discounts return when things continue to normalize crowd wise. I was comfortable paying $225 for Coronado in 2019 during peak times.

jmp85

I won’t argue with you there. My hope is that the typical discounts return when things continue to normalize crowd wise. I was comfortable paying $225 for Coronado in 2019 during peak times.
I'm right there with you, I can normally justify a little extra for the 'Disney Bubble.' We stayed at Riverside the first week in November back in 2019 and the average rate per night was less than $200 before taxes (discount included). If no discounts are offered this year, you're looking at an effective increase of about 75% per night.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom