Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polkadotdress

@Disney Experience

Thanks for your candid reply re: your illness journey. I am so glad that you are on the “other side” of recovery, and are vaxx’d.

As a vaxx’d, but immunocompromised person, I worry about illness rates for vaccinated people. So hearing about your episode worries me…I am always masked while indoors in public, but am mask-free outdoors. I may have to revert to all mask, everywhere again.

Heppenheimer

The issue is both inadequate data, and comparison to AstraZenica, which uses a very similar technology . Most of what we know about the efficacy of the mRNA and AstraZenica vaccines versus the delta variant comes from the UK. Johnson & Johnson/Janssen hasn't really been deployed there yet. AstraZenica was found to be considerably less effective versus the delta variant compared to the mRNA vaccines, but still has respectable efficacy.

In the US, we're very early in our "delta wave", and because Janssen is our least-used of the three vaccines, we haven't yet reached a critical mass of test cases to measure it's efficacy.

EDIT: I changed my response slightly after looking up the information on AstraZenica.
Well, that didn't take long for my post yesterday to become outdated.

I'm on my phone, so I can't link the news item, but Janssen (J&J) announced that in lab studies, the neutralizing antibodies from its vaccine were effective against the delta variant. That's not quite real-world data, but about as good as we can get for now until delta really starts causing a large accumulation of cases.

The same study also showed a strong immune response remained after at least 8 months, which means the induced immunity from the vaccine should endure. Combined, these two results make the need for possible near-term boosters less likely.

Last edited:

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
@Disney Experience

Thanks for your candid reply re: your illness journey. I am so glad that you are on the “other side” of recovery, and are vaxx’d.

As a vaxx’d, but immunocompromised person, I worry about illness rates for vaccinated people. So hearing about your episode worries me…I am always masked while indoors in public, but am mask-free outdoors. I may have to revert to all mask, everywhere again.
I still prefer wearing one indoors as well. I have had breathing issues since last year (non Covid related) but I take extra precautions. I’m going to WDW in a week and a half and already told my friend I will be masking up when inside. It makes me feel more comfortable doing things again and doesn’t hurt anyone so it’s all good for me :)

I also worry about vaxxed rate of infection but so far from what I see, most people either aren’t getting it, or have a very minor infection.

Heppenheimer

mmascari

Here's one of many news reports on the latest findings for Janssen's vaccine:

That's great.

For the relative few of us that got the J&J, let's hope this holds up.

Hopefully more data and reporting continues, and this entire "need a booster" thing is just a perception thing not based in any data.
Maybe J&J is just fine and it's all perception of "only 1 shot" comparing J&J to a single mRNA dose.

The bigger issue is, for those that got the J&J, there just hasn't been much reporting.

I did hear that the limited J&J two dose study was looking at something more like after 4 months than 4 weeks. I got mine less than 3 months ago, so still well within that window.

Still no J&J regrets.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I'm on my phone, so I can't link the news item, but Janssen (J&J) announced that in lab studies, the neutralizing antibodies from its vaccine were effective against the delta variant. That's not quite real-world data, but about as good as we can get for now until delta really starts causing a large accumulation of cases.

The same study also showed a strong immune response remained after at least 8 months, which means the induced immunity from the vaccine should endure. Combined, these two results make the need for possible near-term boosters less likely.
So are we back to calling it a “legit” vaccine 😍

Disstevefan1

Don’t worry, the “facts” will continue to toggle. Even the WHO and CDC can’t agree on some things. There is no 100 percent answer, good or bad, yes or no, on anything. Everyone must use their own judgement on what’s right for themselves; their best guess. That’s all we can do as individuals.

HeartOfTeFiti

I was glad to see this on my morning news feed. It cooled me off a bit about trying to get a dose of a different vaccine. I'm assuming the 8 month time frame is because that's the duration of available information? As of today, it's been 3 months for me. I had a very strong immune response judging from how sick I felt beginning about 12 hours afterward. I don't know if there is really a correlation between side effects and immune response but I felt encouraged by it.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Don’t worry, the “facts” will continue to toggle. Even the WHO and CDC can’t agree on some things. There is no 100 percent answer, good or bad, yes or no, on anything. Everyone must use their own judgement on what’s right for themselves; their best guess. That’s all we can do as individuals.
Board glitch, I'm sure this is a post from last year.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

.. and that has worked out so well over the past 18 months. ;)

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
The WHO and the CDC shouldn’t agree on everything. One is charged with advising one country that has had a fairly robust vaccine rollout, the other advocates for an entire planet where vaccines are much rarer in most places.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

I was glad to see this on my morning news feed. It cooled me off a bit about trying to get a dose of a different vaccine. I'm assuming the 8 month time frame is because that's the duration of available information? As of today, it's been 3 months for me. I had a very strong immune response judging from how sick I felt beginning about 12 hours afterward. I don't know if there is really a correlation between side effects and immune response but I felt encouraged by it.
Correct, but it's encouraging, because drawing on experience from other vaccines, if the antibody response hasn't diminished in 6-9 months, that usually means the effect will endure long-term. So, more like a tetanus vaccine, at least, than a seasonal influenza shot.

The study isn't definitive, because the ultimate test is sustained reductions in real world case numbers amongst vaccinated individuals, but it at least gives us further hope.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here is the weekly report from the Florida DOH -

Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 2.19.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 2.19.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 2.19.50 PM.png

DonniePeverley

Here’s the stark reality of the UK situation…

Currently, the doubling time is 9 days.

So by the 19th July we will have 90,000 cases a day - when all restrictions including masks go. The equivalent to the USA would be nearly 450,000 cases a day.

Hospitalisations? Important to consider…. But you just cannot simply ignore 90k cases a day.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here’s the stark reality of the UK situation…

Currently, the doubling time is 9 days.

So by the 19th July we will have 90,000 cases a day - when all restrictions including masks go. The equivalent to the USA would be nearly 450,000 cases a day.

Hospitalisations? Important to consider…. But you just cannot simply ignore 90k cases a day.
Back of the envelope math again. UK has 68M people and 2/3 have at least the first shot leaving roughly 22M people unvaccinated. With 5M known natural infections let’s assume half are in the unvaccinated group. That leaves roughly 20M people with no immunity. If the cases are at 90,000 a day and doubling every 9 days in a little over 30 days all of the people left with no immunity will be infected and the nation will have achieved full herd immunity by mid-August :). Since infections are still over 95% in unvaccinated people the math works.

Do I think that will happen? Not likely. What goes up eventually drops down again. No reason to assume cases will double every 9 days indefinitely.

hopemax

Speaking of "back of the envelope" math, Trevor Bedford presented a possible US outcome for Delta in a Twitter thread a couple days ago.

TL;DR: Estimates 38% of the US population is vulnerable (unvaccinated, no previous infection). Given UK numbers, estimates 29% of that group will be infected. Resolving into 11% of the US population that will be infected or about 36 million people. But large margin of error / low confidence, given "back of envelope" math.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom