The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

DrAlice

• Staying in a themed hotel is a unique experience.
  • Unique experiences are fun for many people.
Therefore....

Staying in a themed hotel is fun for many people.*

*the key word in this sentence is "many"

Californian Elitist

I'd actually be ok with a Pixar themed redo of the hotel. I think it would have great appeal to families...but the problem of the price point still exists...they'd probably raise the prices. My kids would have loved that type of hotel. That being said, best to just bulldoze it and come up with something fresh.
I'm just tired of seeing Pixar everywhere. There are plenty of other options to choose from. Not sure why Disney feels they have to continue returning to Pixar for inspiration.

Stevek

I'm just tired of seeing Pixar everywhere. There are plenty of other options to choose from. Not sure why Disney feels they have to continue returning to Pixar for inspiration.
I think it still very much resonates with families because of the broad reach of it's films. Being a father with 2 now 20+ year old daughters, I can say that without a doubt they would have loved this. They could very easily create a Pixar Pier Hotel and have each floor dedicated to a different movie. Alternatively, they could brand it something Disney and make the floors specific to certain movies as well.

Stevek

Pixar lost their glamor with everything that came after Wall-E and Up.
Toy Story 3 & 4, Cars 3 (number 2 sucked), Incredibles 2, Onward, Brave and Coco were all pretty good to great. Finding Dory was entertaining as well. I didn't love Soul but it was pretty widely recognized as being well done. I have not watched Luca but have heard very good things about that as well. They've hardly lost their glamor.

CaptinEO

Toy Story 3, Brave and Coco were all pretty great. Finding Dory was entertaining as well. I have not watched Luca but have heard very good things about that as well.
I disagree. I think it's sad that half of toy story 3 is jokes about buzz lightyear speaking spanish.

Stevek

I disagree. I think it's sad that half of toy story 3 is jokes about buzz lightyear speaking spanish.
And since UP, they've had 3 movies make $1B worldwide (TS 3, Finding Dory, Incredibles 2) and Coco, Monsters University and Inside out made close to or over $800mm worldwide. All of these made more than Wall E or Up...I enjoyed both of those movies BTW.

CaptinEO

And since UP, they've had 3 movies make $1B worldwide (TS 3, Finding Dory, Incredibles 2) and Coco, Monsters University and Inside out made close to or over $800mm worldwide. All of these made more than Wall E or Up...I enjoyed both of those movies BTW.
I mean youre talking numbers, I'm talking how I feel about their movies. You also have to account for inflation.

With the exception of Toy Story 2, when Up came out, Pixar was not a sequel factory.

CaptinEO

Bad because you felt it was too racist? I also updated my list after you quoted me but I kept 3 on the list and added 4.
Bad because it got old fast. It was a same play on the joke of the first two movies

Toy Story 1) Buzz thinks he's a space ranger
Toy Story 2) Buzz loses his batteries and thinks hes a space ranger
Toy Story 3) Buzz changes into Spanish mode

It's the same comedy in all three movies of buzz being a "weird" guy not like the others, while the others just say how crazy he is.

Toy Story 2 plot: Character is in a place they dont want to be and is trying to get back home. Caretaker character shows them they belong in new location. Caretaker turns out to be evil and toy leaves the location for home.

Toy Story 3 plot: See Above

Last edited:

Stevek

I mean youre talking numbers, I'm talking how I feel about their movies. You also have to account for inflation.

With the exception of Toy Story 2, when Up came out, Pixar was not a sequel factory.
Ok...that's different. That's how you feel about their movies. I dare say there are probably a lot of folks and families that continue to love the Pixar flix. Regardless of inflation, they still sell a lot of tickets and get pretty decent reviews. They weren't a sequel factory because their classic stories had not had enough time in the marketplace...they are now at the point where some people want to see continuing stories for some of their bigger franchises (Cars, Nemo, Incredibles) so it absolutely makes sense to continue to tell those stories. And box office will somewhat determine whether a sequel will be made.

CaptinEO

Ok...that's different. That's how you feel about their movies. I dare say there are probably a lot of folks and families that continue to love the Pixar flix. Regardless of inflation, they still sell a lot of tickets and get pretty decent reviews. They weren't a sequel factory because their classic stories had not had enough time in the marketplace...they are now at the point where some people want to see continuing stories for some of their bigger franchises (Cars, Nemo, Incredibles) so it absolutely makes sense to continue to tell those stories. And box office will somewhat determine whether a sequel will be made.
I'm not saying Pixar isnt profitable. I'm just saying that their track record was way better for me personally until Up came out.

That may be true, it wasn't long enough for them to develop sequels to most of their movies. I just find them to make very average movies now, even if the animation is of good quality.

Rich T

I don’t know why some Pixie Dusters think we’re too judgemental and cynical about Disney in this forum. I actually enjoyed the “Love It or List It” special where Dave and Hilary reacted to the WEBSLINGERS ride:
807519A8-BA40-47F1-A6A2-C26FD5ECBDD3.jpeg
BBF49308-70D5-48B2-8589-DE785EABE95A.jpeg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom