Discovery Cove Question

Schweino

Original Poster
Hey all! We are looking at maybe a spite trip to Sea World to get out of the cold. As is stands today, does anyone know if you can still do Dolphin Swim there? Also I thought I read that you can also swim with otters but not sure if that is a thing or not. TIA!

LukaLand

Hi, you do pretty much the same dolphin swim that DC always has done- which is a dorsal tow for a short distance. Before Covid, you could do it in deep or shallow water. Now, its done only in shallow water. This is to allow distancing between the trainers and guests. The rest of the experience is the same, actually better now in my opinion as all interactions are done within only your family group.

The otters you "swim" with are on the other side of a viewing wall. Its an awesome experience but you are not in the water with the animal.

Schweino

Original Poster
Thank you Luna! How long is the dolphin swim experience? Based on your description of a short tow, that seems pretty limited and short.

LukaLand

The 'swim' part of the experience is like 30 seconds. The interaction is closer to half an hour. You get to pet the dolphin, do a few signals and then have a photo shoot. Then the tow. If you've ever done the land based dolphin experience at any of the SeaWorld parks, its basically exactly the same just in water plus the tow. Its worth it if you haven't done any in water dolphin interactions before. Its also worth it based on the price difference between admission with and without it. We paid $150 ish I think this December for admission including the swim. This was my 4th time, and I've done it twice with the dolphins and twice without. We took a friends children (age 8 and 11) and while they enjoyed the dolphin swim they both liked Sea World better. Go figure!

Bairstow

It may just be because I'm conflicted about captive cetaceans generally, but the dolphin interaction was by far the least interesting part of our day at Discovery Cove. The waiting/orientation part ate up a huge portion of our time and the interaction itself was brief, regimented, and stilted. I much rather would have had more time exploring or resting on my own.

Also, I don't for a second buy their excuses on not allowing you to photograph your own family's interaction session.

LukaLand

It may just be because I'm conflicted about captive cetaceans generally, but the dolphin interaction was by far the least interesting part of our day at Discovery Cove. The waiting/orientation part ate up a huge portion of our time and the interaction itself was brief, regimented, and stilted. I much rather would have had more time exploring or resting on my own.

Also, I don't for a second buy their excuses on not allowing you to photograph your own family's interaction session.

You absolutely can film your own family's interaction! You just cannot have a camera/phone in the water. It is 100% animal safety based. Yes, they want your money. But they don't want their dolphins swallowing your phone, either.

Bairstow

You absolutely can film your own family's interaction! You just cannot have a camera/phone in the water. It is 100% animal safety based. Yes, they want your money. But they don't want their dolphins swallowing your phone, either.
If cameras presented as much of an issue as they claim they do they wouldn't allow you to wear hats and sunglasses in the habitat, nor would their own photographers be in the water with you. They want to force you to buy their own photo package, which is their prerogative, but they should be honest about that.

joanna71985

If cameras presented as much of an issue as they claim they do they wouldn't allow you to wear hats and sunglasses in the habitat, nor would their own photographers be in the water with you. They want to force you to buy their own photo package, which is their prerogative, but they should be honest about that.
Their photographers have the camera strap around their neck, plus the camera is larger than 99% of the cameras people would be using. I think it is a valid reason

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom