Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
By the way...gringotts is a “controlled show piece” directed roller coaster.

that’s what it does. So the system is not unique.

I know people will splain it away and talk about 3D...etc etc etc...but that doesn’t change the ride.

it doesn’t have to be “first” to be a really good ride though. Flight of passage is a first and is a pretty great ride...tower of terror is a first and was was great ride. Other more recent “firsts” aren’t as good. Doesn’t guarantee anything

SplashJacket

By the way...gringotts is a “controlled show piece” directed roller coaster.

that’s what it does. So the system is not unique.

I know people will splain it away and talk about 3D...etc etc etc...but that doesn’t change the ride.
Gringotts is trash. (I know you never commented on it being good or not, but just felt like putting it out there.)

- Someone flying to Orlando tomorrow that will only be visiting the Uni parks

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
… I'm in the same boat. The only three things that give me heartburn are the lagoon views of Harmonious, the backstage views of France on the skyliner, and the Cosmic Rewind box (not the ride itself). So, it's all to do with visuals. They also need to put some of the proposed stuff back on the table (though maybe not literally "The Table") and get a move on with an Imagination rework.
Actually, I only share two of your concerns. The backstage views of France (while I haven’t seen them with my own eyes) will likely not offend me. Not all of the views from the buses are perfect either. Even less attractive views are afforded from the Monorail.

Our family has long accepted that sometimes you see what our kids called “Disney guts” from the transportation systems. Shrug.

TikibirdLand

Do you have pics that match your description, because this post is so outside my experience that I'm assuming brain damage on my part. There were peeks at what lay beyond, but only from very specific angles in that hub. It felt like an area reflecting on itself far more than something that built anticipation for regions beyond (just pulled up Martins' Communicore and it matches my recollections well.) If you liked how opened you found it then, how is what they're doing now going to be less so? Also, while some are complaining about the awnings, it was and is Earth Station's design that blocked about a third of Spaceship Earth from the hub while Communicore did so from Futureworld East and West.
I guess the dirt piles are kinda open...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No. You didn't. No lift and no launch.
There's a drop, a ton of friction-drive tires that move you along the track much like the old Disneyland Peoplemover, a few motion bases, switch tracks, and some brakes.
I just read the whole description...and I hadn’t before.

they did a pretty great job of combining a bunch of different elements. I don’t love gringotts but it seems they managed to do a pretty ingenious job.

forget guardians...what they did on gringotts would have probavly made for a much better ride over in mgm

Bocabear

You're trolling, right? You think that the new coaster is a "first of its kind thrill ride"? What does that even mean?

The new spine is quite literally landscaping. Not that I don't appreciate good landscaping when I see it, but you're truly excited for the destruction of experience over some rockwork and water features?
I agree...or what department of Disney marketing do they work for... revitalized spine...lol

GimpYancIent

I may be in the minority here but I actually like most of what is happening at Epcot. GotG Coaster looks like its gonna be a pretty epic first of its kind thrill ride, Play pavilion looks like it would be great for kids (even though covid has postponed it) Space 220 looks fantastic in every way imo, New center spine area/revamped communicore looks like it will be cool, Im looking forward to what the interactive water walkthrough moana stuff is, France Pavilion expansion looks great, New gelataria seems nice, im all for new popcorn stand if its cool flavors, new entrance/lighting package looks fantastic....the only thing im not sold on is harmonious barges. Everything else Im on board.

Everything I just said is prob well above 1 billion dollars invested into epcot for this rebuild and I cant wait till its done!
I am with you on looking forward to this work being "done", but, not because I see all of these projects as enhancements. The turning EPCOT into a construction zone to do a large swathe of wreaking totally brought down the attractiveness of the park. This could have been done in a slower lower profile manner in smaller sections. More $$$$ spent does not mean higher quality nor being more attractive, the best example thus far is the Lagoon.

itsy bitsy spider

Okay I am confused. I know others have explained this, but you continue to stick your head in the sand....

It is in world of Nature - and will be focus of the movie which is the importance of nature and water to life. Right near entrance of Seas and not far from land.

So if you can dig your head out, why exactly is this NOT a fit for EPCOT? I get the hate, everyone wants EPCOT to return to what it was. However, if we are going to nitpick ideas to death, can we at least do it somewhat objectively and not just pout for no good reason?

It is NOT a splash pad as you pouted about and got shown for real
It is NOT a space blocker - as there are other paths around
So does it need the IP tie in , no. I will give to you there. But if it enhances the entrances to Land and Sea and has a purpose to share importance of water and nature, then lets wait to see what we actually get?

You're wrong, Moana doesn't belong in Epcot.

It belongs in Adventureland in the Magic Kingdom. Just because a movie has water in it doesn't mean it belongs in the nature section.

Bocabear

they missed some landscaping or water features... because they paved over them to make a HUGE courtyard... that doesn't mean tear down the building and replace it with trees...it just means restore the missing landscape and water features...
This de-furbishment of Communicore adds nothing to the overall experience except you have to walk a long long way to reach shelter or anything to do... It is going to be great in the frequent rainstorms Florida is known for... No one is paying $100+ to visit a public park...
Revitalized attractions, restored landscape and water features would have been the direction VS tearing down half of the entrance plaza...

Phicinfan

You're wrong, Moana doesn't belong in Epcot.

It belongs in Adventureland in the Magic Kingdom. Just because a movie has water in it doesn't mean it belongs in the nature section.
No you're wrong. It has to do with Nature, which potentially fits in EPCOT in the World of Nature area. See, I can do this all day as well. Your opinion does not make YOU right.

Goofy Ninja

I honestly don't see why not. This is lightly themed and therefore will not necessarily preclude Moana from getting an actual attraction in another park, and there's really no functional difference between this and "The Seas with Nemo and Friends" or even "Test Track brought to you by Chevrolet".

Just because the dog on my carpet once doesn't mean I want him to pee on it too.

Moana has a park it should go in... it's called Magic Kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom