Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

J4546

You're trolling, right? You think that the new coaster is a "first of its kind thrill ride"? What does that even mean?

The new spine is quite literally landscaping. Not that I don't appreciate good landscaping when I see it, but you're truly excited for the destruction of experience over some rockwork and water features?
its the first time ive ever seen a massive reverse launching interior coaster that has cars that spin 360 degrees

and yes, i am excited for the rockwork/trees that will get put into Epcot for moana.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I may be in the minority here but I actually like most of what is happening at Epcot. GotG Coaster looks like its gonna be a pretty epic first of its kind thrill ride, Play pavilion looks like it would be great for kids (even though covid has postponed it) Space 220 looks fantastic in every way imo, New center spine area/revamped communicore looks like it will be cool, Im looking forward to what the interactive water walkthrough moana stuff is, France Pavilion expansion looks great, New gelataria seems nice, new entrance/lighting package looks fantastic....the only thing im not sold on is harmonious barges. Everything else Im on board.

Everything I just said is prob well above 1 billion dollars invested into epcot for this rebuild and I cant wait till its done!
I actually might agree with you...give em a chance.

guardians shouldn’t be there...it should be in the still woefully underequipped, “revamped” mgm...but it does look cool from an engineering side.

rant aside...I know that as long as everyone pays and then congratulated themselves for it (I congratulate chase and Citibank)...then we best take what we get and like it. Better than nothing...I suppose?

J4546

I actually might agree with you...give em a chance.

guardians shouldn’t be there...it should be in the still woefully underequipped, “revamped” mgm...but it does look cool from an engineering side.

rant aside...I know that as long as everyone pays and then congratulated themselves for it (I congratulate chase and Citibank)...then we best take what we get and like it. Better than nothing...I suppose?
i think it may be a blessing gotg is in Epcot and not DHS. I figure, if gotg is a hit, they will want to build another one. And if they had built GotG at DHS, they wouldnt have put another one in the same park. So this way, when they build another one, maybe it could be based on star wars and put in GE. Imagine a massive story telling SW coaster, taking off from a rebel base, flying through field of imperial destroyers and tie fighters, getting to the deathstar and blowing it up....could do some crazy stuff with gotg coaster tech and SW IP.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Do you mind providing the address of the rock that you live under?
78eb430d3fb6e6a69eea467f2253c802.png

Couldn't resist. Carry on.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
i think it may be a blessing gotg is in Epcot and not DHS. I figure, if gotg is a hit, they will want to build another one. And if they had built GotG at DHS, they wouldnt have put another one in the same park. So this way, when they build another one, maybe it could be based on star wars and put in GE. Imagine a massive story telling SW coaster, taking off from a rebel base, flying through field of imperial destroyers and tie fighters, getting to the deathstar and blowing it up....could do some crazy stuff with gotg coaster tech and SW IP.
Yeah...but they can’t use any of that IP you mentioned...

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I may be in the minority here but I actually like most of what is happening at Epcot. GotG Coaster looks like its gonna be a pretty epic first of its kind thrill ride, Play pavilion looks like it would be great for kids (even though covid has postponed it) Space 220 looks fantastic in every way imo, New center spine area/revamped communicore looks like it will be cool, Im looking forward to what the interactive water walkthrough moana stuff is, France Pavilion expansion looks great, New gelataria seems nice, im all for new popcorn stand if its cool flavors, new entrance/lighting package looks fantastic....the only thing im not sold on is harmonious barges. Everything else Im on board.

Everything I just said is prob well above 1 billion dollars invested into epcot for this rebuild and I cant wait till its done!
i imagine most Disney Parks visitors will agree with you, especially if they’d never been before.

The comparison to 2018 Epcot is easy, with like half of Future World empty or in a sad way by then.

We’ve been told that the plan we didn’t see, however, kept the core of Epcot intact while also making the park substantially better than in 2018. I think a lot of people here are in mourning of what once was but also what could have been.

But no doubt that Epcot will have more to do for longer than on your last Disney trip, if you’ve been recently.

sedati

You're trolling, right? You think that the new coaster is a "first of its kind thrill ride"? What does that even mean?
The hype is that we are getting a coaster that acts like an omnimover (an EPCOT staple.) Spinning coasters exist, but one that has its speed and POV controlled and timed with show scenes? Has it been done before? I'm not familiar if so.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
its the first time ive ever seen a massive reverse launching interior coaster that has cars that spin 360 degrees

and yes, i am excited for the rockwork/trees that will get put into Epcot for moana.
Technically, they don't spin... at least not freely. They have a controlled rotation, like the Doom Buggies. They face the way the coaster creators chose at certain points along the ride. Which makes this coaster rarer, if not unique.

J4546

true but in my fantasy the coaster entrance area would be located by star tours (muppets stuff would have to be reloacted) and they could have it themed as endor to fit and expand that area into its own mini land in its own timeline. That way you make 2 separate star wars lands in DHS. Then imagine expanding indiana jones area and how well you could blend endor into tropical jungle ruins of an IJ ride. that would have a pretty good flow going from jungle to jungle.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
true but in my fantasy the coaster entrance area would be located by star tours (muppets stuff would have to be reloacted) and they could have it themed as endor to fit and expand that area into its own mini land in its own timeline. That way you make 2 separate star wars lands in DHS. Then imagine expanding indiana jones area and how well you could blend endor into tropical jungle ruins of an IJ ride. that would have a pretty good flow going from jungle to jungle.

you old fart...

Indiana Jones and coherent Star Wars is NOT what their market analysts are saying will sell 😎

UNCgolf

Technically, they don't spin... at least not freely. They have a controlled rotation, like the Doom Buggies. They face the way the coaster creators chose at certain points along the ride. Which makes this coaster rarer, if not unique.

That's great news. Even when I was a kid/teenager coasters didn't really do much for me in an entertainment sense (I want something to see; not just G forces), but now that I'm older they have a tendency to give me motion sickness. The idea of freely spinning ride vehicles sounded like a vomit machine and would have probably prevented me from ever even trying to ride GotG.

If they just rotate to face what are hopefully decent show scenes, I'll at least be able to ride it once to see if it's actually any good.

doctornick

Right, I think that’s the point that’s trying to be made here. A controlled spin roller coaster that directs attention to show scenes should be fairly unique (maybe not first of its kind - I don’t know though - but far from common). We don’t know how good the execution will be but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to be excited for as a new unique Disney experience. The biggest concerns seemed focused on the sight lines and appropriateness to the environment not necessarily the quality

doctornick

I may be in the minority here but I actually like most of what is happening at Epcot. GotG Coaster looks like its gonna be a pretty epic first of its kind thrill ride, Play pavilion looks like it would be great for kids (even though covid has postponed it) Space 220 looks fantastic in every way imo, New center spine area/revamped communicore looks like it will be cool, Im looking forward to what the interactive water walkthrough moana stuff is, France Pavilion expansion looks great, New gelataria seems nice, im all for new popcorn stand if its cool flavors, new entrance/lighting package looks fantastic....the only thing im not sold on is harmonious barges. Everything else Im on board.

I’m iffy on how the central area will turn out and agree with a lot of the sight lines concerns (especially Harmonious). But I’m with you in that I’m excited by pretty much everything we are getting. It all looks like pretty cool to me and I’m looking forward to GOTG, Ratatouille, Space 220, Harmonious and even Play and JoW.

I haven’t been very impressed or captivated with Innoventions for years and I feel like Play will replace most of that value. I will miss Sum of All Thrills though which was an excellent hidden gem. I like that new films have come and will be coming (China).

I do think Epcot still needs more - would be nice if the long rumored Brazil or India pavilions would actually happen or if they would add some stuff to existing ones - but I’m happy they’re doing stuff. I know it’s not what many purists here and I respect that. It’s not what I would have done either. But I feel like at least what they are doing will be well received and enjoyable.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

Showcase Lagoon ain't six stories deep.
Just give it a little tip 👈 onto its side.
The new spine is quite literally landscaping. Not that I don't appreciate good landscaping when I see it, but you're truly excited for the destruction of experience over some rockwork and water features?
From its description, it sounds like it's an interactive experience that explores the water cycle. Not terribly different from the interactive exhibits that once occupied Innoventions, some of which even veered into the territory of environmentalism at times. I have to wonder if Journey of Water would be as poorly received if it were more of a large-scale terrarium housed in the former Innoventions building. I get being sad over the loss of the building, but I don't find the proposed content of Journey of Water to be incompatible with what stood there before. It just happens to not have a roof over it.
I may be in the minority here but I actually like most of what is happening at Epcot.
I'm in the same boat. The only three things that give me heartburn are the lagoon views of Harmonious, the backstage views of France on the skyliner, and the Cosmic Rewind box (not the ride itself). So, it's all to do with visuals. They also need to put some of the proposed stuff back on the table (though maybe not literally "The Table") and get a move on with an Imagination rework.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom