Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopemax

I'm actually surprised at how low the actual vaccine acceptance is and how slowly more people are getting vaccinated at this point. From the polls posted, it was foretold that 20% were pretty adamantly against getting a shot and that 10% more would need convincing/prodding. However, we've reached a point where almost 40% haven't gotten a shot.

I think that two things weren't anticipated. First is (and I am very surprised) how few people under 35 want to go get vaccinated. Second is the damage done by the unnecessary pause of J&J. That gave ammunition to anti-vaxxers and put more fear into people who were on the fence. That pause may have been the worst decision made in the whole pandemic to be honest.

Honestly, I think what should be done now is to have both insurance companies and the Government say that if you aren't vaccinated and you get COVID-19, you aren't covered at all. As long as you get the first shot, you are covered. Companies also need to have a policy that if you choose not to be vaccinated and miss work due to COVID-19 you do not get paid while if you are vaccinated you will be paid.

At the current rate, there's very little chance to hit the 70% of adults by 7/4. Honestly, I'm not sure if it will ever get hit if something drastic like my suggestion isn't done.
Before we get as punitive as that, I’d like to see guarantees that you will not lose pay / be fired if you need a recovery day(s) post vaccination. It’s the next thing in the list of reasons behind safety concerns. The recent Kaiser study indicated 48% gave “missing work due to side-effects,” as a reason.

I know you believe all adults are free to make the choice to be vaccinated, but in the real world the risk/benefit is not so simple. Everyone says people need to do whatever they have to, to guarantee food/housing for their family. Right now, for some, that means remaining unvaccinated because they need their full paycheck most of all. If your boss is anti-vax, it’s going to be a problem too, because ostracism is a thing too. And still too many employers, Politicians and voters are scared of the slippery slope of paid sick time.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It was the safe and conservative response. Imagine if it had gone the other way. Imagine there was an issue that didn't show up in thousands of doses but was rare enough that only once there were millions that it showed up. If that had happened and they didn't pause (and stopped using, since in this imagined scenario they found an issue). In that scenario, it would have been an even bigger disaster. Before they did the extra analysis, they had to assume they were going to find something, even if that was an unlikely possibility.

Which points to how strict vaccine safety testing is. A vaccine needs to be significantly safer than almost any other treatment.

The news reporting, and the federal messaging on the pause were all poor. Everything talked about some new risk. They should have focused on how the safety testing is so comprehensive and the standard vaccines are held to. The pause should have been marketed as an example that even extremely rare scenarios are looked at and that we can accept the vaccines as safe because of this. Messages with 0.0000000 lots of zeroes % of risk. Way way below the risks from COVID or even everyday medications people take all the time.

Not to mention that deaths from this side effect were avoidable IF doctors knew what to look for, so taking the pause gave time to educate doctors on how to properly deal with it if it came up.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Come on people! Doctor's orders for me are that I am to remain masked until we reach 70%.

UGH.
It’s coming, it’s just taking longer than we want. Don’t listen to the doom and gloom crowd wishing for failure. Some people honestly just enjoy the fight too much and the closer we get to the end the more bitter and hostile they become. It’s a thrill to me to see these vaccines working and to see the numbers decline and to see us continue a return to normal. We will reach 70% of adults vaccinated (we already have in 14 states). Some ststes will never get there but there’s not much we can do about that.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Sorry goof... gotta do it. Your “worst case scenario” was 59% of all Americans by June 11. We are at 52%. At current pace, if we don’t get any further decline, we are still about 2 months away from 59%.
Since we are still declining, we are unlikely to hit 59% until younger kids can get vaccinated.
Looks like big COVID surge is coming this fall/winter:eek:

Jrb1979

It’s coming, it’s just taking longer than we want. Don’t listen to the doom and gloom crowd wishing for failure. Some people honestly just enjoy the fight too much and the closer we get to the end the more bitter and hostile they become. It’s a thrill to me to see these vaccines working and to see the numbers decline and to see us continue a return to normal. We will reach 70% of adults vaccinated (we already have in 14 states). Some ststes will never get there but there’s not much we can do about that.
I'm not wishing for failure, I'm disappointed in the steep decline in vaccinations. I look at how well it's going here in Canada and that those under 40 have no issue getting vaccinated. We will probably hit 70% within a week or 2.

havoc315

Get a life. I’m glad it thrills you to ”prove me wrong”. It’s sad and pathetic that you are happy that vaccines slowed to a lower pace than I said they could just so you can prove me wrong on a Disney fan board. That’s really quite sad.

I’m NOT happy at all about it. I wanted to be wrong. You attacked me at the time, claiming I was being pessimistic and that the “worst case” scenario was reaching Israel’s immunity level by 6/11.

My point isn’t to say “told you so”… the reason is to look forward, learning from the past. Looking at how much vaccination has slowed already in the last month, and how that trend is likely to continue. And perhaps you shouldn’t attack me when I point out these declining trends.

The point is— we really should be taking more aggressive action to promote vaccination, such as vaccine passports. Sadly, that ship has likely sailed.

Wendy Pleakley

Who exactly is "wishing for failure"?

If there's bitterness it seems more likely to come because so many people are slow to get vaccinated, and it slows the return to normal for everyone.

The USA is falling on the vaccine "charts" despite having an enviable head start before just about everyone else.

Smooth

Although I'm not a doctor... You would never know it because of all the very super intelligent comments I have made over the past year. 😁

CosmicRays

ERuCkPbXYAAIMxj.jpg

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I certainly hope no “big surge.” And I don’t expect anything like last winter. But I do suspect we will see some smaller regional spikes. Maybe even some regional spikes over the next 1-2 months.
NJ and NY are most likely will be alright by rest of the year so I'm safe for now...:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom