WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure to use Virtual Queue

el_super

Except you also tell us how the franchise mandate is the best business position for Disney because it’s what people want. The Marvel Cinematic Universe is Disney’s biggest franchise, so by the logic of the franchise mandate it not only warrants, but demands, a larger budget and scope.

It does, but thankfully they still have time (some time) to do that.

Walt Disney Imagineering absolutely should deliver more with the huge amounts of money being spent. The scope and the cost do not align. More program and ideas absolutely should have made it to reality. Return on investment continues to get worse and the strategy of spending more and more for less, no matter if it is tied to the biggest franchises, is going to be sustainable.

I agree, but I do want to make clear the distinction I am driving here between the absolutely fair criticisms of WDI and Disney's ride development in general, and the Web Slingers ride. The Web Slingers ride is, for what it is, a decent attraction that I actually do enjoy.

That said, it's clear that the whole process, from the start of Mission Breakout to today, has been broken and flawed in so many ways, that it should be concerning to Disney and especially Chapek. The biggest movie franchise in history will basically slip past the parks relatively unnoticed, because WDI can't create and produce with any expediency. Master Planning is still hedging and delaying projects in order to make the most strategic sense, but those delays are having real-world consequences in what products are able to be offered. And the budgets.... the budgets.

I don't think there was anything necessarily incorrect in thinking that Bugs Land needed to be replaced (it was very low thru-put). Making the logical conclusion to use the Marvel IP also made perfect sense. But now, between the competing concepts between replacing Tomorrowland or Hollywoodland and taking two to three years to design everything, most of the franchise has slipped away. Building a Spiderman ride was almost a necessity, since that franchise is still going pretty strong.

The answers though are probably not the ones the fans want to hear.

lazyboy97o

And since I am thinking about them... WDI needs to really find a balance between designing instagrammable buildings and planting trees. The shade is more important to me.
This is one of the ways in which Disney still shows themselves to be limited by software. Shadows too often end up very dark in the type of renderings that are used in building design, so trees get nixed for fear of making something too dark. Shade is also something Ops will handle so it can be cut knowing someone else will pay for it later, and depending on the situation Walt Disney Imagineering has a chance of demanding at least approval for the solution.

CM.X777

This is one of the ways in which Disney still shows themselves to be limited by software. Shadows too often end up very dark in the type of renderings that are used in building design, so trees get nixed for fear of making something too dark. Shade is also something Ops will handle so it can be cut knowing someone else will pay for it later, and depending on the situation Walt Disney Imagineering has a chance of demanding at least approval for the solution.

I don't think the lack of shade is a mistake. I get the sense Disney is explicitly designing lands that people are not meant to hangout in. They want people to ride the ride/rides, then shop and/or eat food (where the real money is made), then move on to the next part of the park.

It's basically taking the idea behind why Fastpass was made and integrating it at a fundamental design level. Disney's corporate mandates are removing the Park element of Disney theme parks.

Last edited:

DanielBB8

Trees would block out the open air stages for the stunt shows. This is a small area. You can't block out key vantage viewing spots. On the other hand, they could have more shaded seating for eating your food. Tell people to eat at Hyperion Theater. They should incorporate more of Hollywood into Avengers Campus. Maybe one day.

lazyboy97o

I don't think the lack of shade is a mistake. I get the sense Disney is explicitly designing lands that people are not meant to hangout in. They want people to ride the ride/rides, then shop and/or eat food (where the real money is made), then move on to the next part of the park.

It's basically taking the idea behind why Fastpass was made and integrating it at a fundamental design level. Disney's cooperate mandates are removing the Park element of Disney theme parks.
Except you’ll see that over the past decade or so Walt Disney Imagineering has incorporated a lot of seat walls into designs. The reason is because Ops can remove a bench but not a built wall.

Anjin

I was able to ride this first thing Monday and had a good time. Everything went superfast, so it was a little hard to follow. Midway Mania at least has the blessing of simplicity. But overall I was impressed with how well it did tracking and I look forward to trying again.

I can't see myself buying one of the upgrades, though.

DVCscott

Alex, I'll take theme park entertainment that ages the worst for $1,000 please...
Er, it depends on the script.
Indy still seems "fresh" for new audiences. The only complaint really heard about it is how many wish we had gotten the ride instead on the east coast. The show itself is still a strong one.

DVCscott

Didn't Universal Hollywood already do a Spiderman stunt show at one time, and it wasn't all that amazing.
And don't even get me started on Spiderman of Broadway. I go have nightmares now.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Indy still seems "fresh" for new audiences. The only complaint really heard about it is how many wish we had gotten the ride instead on the east coast. The show itself is still a strong one.

Meh - the show is one clinging to a script that is lost in purpose because they aren't "making movies" anymore. Good stunts, horrible show as it clings to life illustrating just how far Disney will go to milk a theatre show.

milordsloth

I was able to ride this first thing Monday and had a good time. Everything went superfast, so it was a little hard to follow. Midway Mania at least has the blessing of simplicity. But overall I was impressed with how well it did tracking and I look forward to trying again.

I can't see myself buying one of the upgrades, though.
I bought the Ironman looking upgrade and it doubles as a fan! It also comes with foam balls that will hover over the fan as a "magic" trick that definitely impresses people while waiting in line haha. Not really worth the price and I honestly preferred the ride without using the upgrade.

MarvelCharacterNerd

And unsurprisingly - I love the Indy stunt show (one of my fave live shows at a Disney park)- it's a must-do when I go to WDW, since i can't ride the attraction here! :D

CaptinEO

And unsurprisingly - I love the Indy stunt show (one of my fave live shows at a Disney park)- it's a must-do when I go to WDW, since i can't ride the attraction here! :D
Best part of me seeing the stunt show for the first time (2012) was the 30 year old actor that came out and said "I'm Harrison Ford's stunt double" with a straight face.

DrAlice

Started at DCA today, so I tried for a web slingers boarding group in the morning. Nope. So... We skipped the million mile long line to enter the land, and rode basically everything else in the park. :D. We were eating lunch on a bench next to Ghiridelli's and heard the Spiderman show, but couldn't see anything (we tried). I may try again at noon tomorrow, or we may just skip it. I'll see what the family wants to do.

However, at noon I scored a Rise boarding pass (yay!!), but that's a topic for a different thread. ;)

J4546

just got back from ca/dl. Everything went smoothly except did not get on RotR (womp womp). Started in Dl, hit up Indiana, Pirates, Pooh, Splash and Big Thunder before lunch. Lines were long because social distancing, but wait times were only about 30-45 mins. Im def glad I went before they up the capacity. Anyways, got a spiderman ticket at noon, and went over to Avengers campus when our boarding group was up, around 6:30. I thought the land was great, esp at night. We saw spiderman on our way into the land and he was taking pics with people in front of his ride. Went on Web Slingers, I thought it was really fun. The que was cool and theres a tree behind the bathrooms in the que line thats full of birds haha. The 3d graphics looked so clear on the ride and me an my gf had a blast. The way it tracks your hands/webs is really on point and cool, and theres a lot to shoot/grab and unlock on each scene, I def want to ride it again. I got a score of like 240,000 and thought I was doing well, then saw other high scores from the day....I got a long ways to go lol. I dont know about the tunnel traveling immersion problems some have stated, maybe we were just on the right side because it all seemed to flow well to us. Also with the pre show, I dont know how they do those 3d screens but the pre show scene looks like Tom Holland is really there talking to ya. And this is done without 3d glasses... well done. Also its about 3ish minutes long, which is plenty for all the web throwing motions youre doing, its frantic and our arms were tired by the end. Also the theming/storytelling of the que line is great, the way it transitions from front office to to workers clock in area to factory when you get into the ride vehicles is really great storytelling. The main ride vehicle entry/exit room is really well done and feels like your in a factory

Oh and the updated Snow White was great. The mine scene looks fantastic. I dont really remember what it was before though so I cant be sorry about things that used to be, just what it is now.

Also I rode soaring on the front/top row for the first time ever, so much better up high imo.

Indiana, Pirates, Pooh, Splash, Big Thunder, Snow White, Peter Pan, Mr Toad, Incredicoaster, Mermaid, Soarin, Monsters, Web Slingers, and ended on Haunted Mansion right at 9. Twas a great day!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom