Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

DrAlice

My friends and I would do all the rides, except Buggies. Our favorite was Ladybug Boogie. a bug’s land was also great for shade and just relaxing in general. It was one of my favorite areas of DCA and I was genuinely bummed when they announced it was going to be demolished.

I’m also childless.
We nicknamed the ladybugs, "Lazy Man's Tea Cups" since you didn't have to spin the wheel. 😁

D.Silentu

The tecruits do diddly squat on RISE except sit there and at the end get a "Good job, recruits!". The outcome would be the same.
I actually don't mind this and find it amusing. As in the Indiana Jones Adventure, someone on the design team was astute enough to ask the guests to do absolutely nothing. In the Temple Of The Forbidden Eye we are told not to look for fear of the curse. Of course we're going to look, we're on a ride! In Rise they tell you the location of the secret base. Didn't give away the secret when you were captured? You did it! Nevermind, whether you can actually remember the planet's name! Such half measures may be a bit corny but I prefer it to rides that call you a recruit and leave it at that. Transformers for instance.

lazyboy97o

I actually don't mind this and find it amusing. As in the Indiana Jones Adventure, someone on the design team was astute enough to ask the guests to do absolutely nothing. In the Temple Of The Forbidden Eye we are told not to look for fear of the curse. Of course we're going to look, we're on a ride! In Rise they tell you the location of the secret base. Didn't give away the secret when you were captured? You did it! Nevermind, whether you can actually remember the planet's name! Such half measures may be a bit corny but I prefer it to rides that call you a recruit and leave it at that. Transformers for instance.
I really enjoy the interrogation on Rise of the Resistance. It’s particularly fun with young kids who crack.

“Where are you going?”
“… Outer space!”
[Holds in laugh and smirks] “Where in outer space?”
“I don’t know! Outer space!”

You can also give them information to say, like Dantooine.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

You can't compare this to Indy at all because of the story.
1. Indy's team running the dig ran out of money so they are letting people pay to go on a tour to suppory the dig.

2. The fact Indy is missing in the Temple somewhere is incidental. We are not on a mission to find him. We are going on a tour then someone looks into Mara's eyes and chaos ensues and it's Indy who has to save us at the end. In RISE we are being recruited because Leia needs us physically in the war effort. Not for us to be keepers of the secret base location. Guests don't even really get intetogated. Kylo leaves then are busted out and sit for the rest of the ride.

3. The ride vehicle is yhrilling and gives the impression our fate is in our own hands. As if the person in the driver's seat is actually driving. The vehicle stalls several times cresating suspense and danger.

I could go on but the point is Indy is a FAAAAAR SUPERIOR RIDE

fctiger

You are forgetting that it opened with a show. That was a big addition when this land first opened that people loved. Sure, it became dated technology, but that wasn't the case at first. Also, PT Flea's pin shop and a corn dog stand were adjacent to the show building in the farm area (where Mater's is now). So, yes it had quite a bit when it first opened. I understand the criticism that they weren't high-end Disney-quality rides, but the overall theming of the land itself was awesome and the family rides served a need that was missing. I think the addition of Carsland and Mermaid, as well as the aging of the show sealed ABL's fate. Oh well. I'll live.
What show are you referring to?? If you mean ITTBAB that was there before, unless you mean a stage show or something I'm not recalling.

Edit: Just saw your other post correcting this. No worries!

I'll say it again, what was there was FINE for what it was, but it was made very clear that was nothing more than a needed quick fix at the time and nothing Disney saw as important to expand on or add in any way. In other words it was only a matter of time before something replaced it IMO. It never felt super permanent. And especially once they had created other suitable rides for kids which they did which as you said like TLM and CL. And probably TSM as well. It's also why I'm happy WEB doesn't have a height limit.
Yes, but this is a theme park board where people care about... um.... theming. ;)

I want to make this very very clear. I thought what they did with the theme in 2012 was great. And of course it wasn't just the boardwalk alone that got it, but they got rid of that entire Route 66 junky area and expanded the theme to include Paradise Garden Grill area, Symphony Swings and The Little Mermaid. I think what they did was a HUGE improvement for sure. I'm only saying end of the day it's still just a boardwalk to me. It looks nicer which is a good thing, but for average guests it didn't really change the experience itself and why I'm not really bothered by it. But I'm happy they kept the rest of the area, Paradise Garden Grill area the same. The entire area beautified in a major way and I don't think PP really took it away IMO. I honestly like it even if the Victorian one was better.

And of course one thing I also find funny is that when they originally planned to remake DCA in 2007, Paradise Pier originally was suppose to get a Pixar makeover from the beginning. It was going to be themed to Toy Story. In fact, that's literally why Toy Story Mania exists, that was the first major redo of the pier into Toy Story and they were going to overlay the coaster to Woody's coaster, add the Army green men drop ride where Maliboomer use to be and so on. I'm too lazy to look it up but they even had concept art for it.

But yes it got changed to the Victorian theme instead and probably the better idea. And they also probably thought it would just feel like too much Pixar since they already had ABL and CL was coming too. So they made the right call at the time, but I guess someone decided that theme would still be better for the area. I don't know.

LOL!! I think there is some truth in what you are saying here, but probably is a bit of an oversimplification. I'm not sure there are many of us nostalgically missing Videopolis even if we have fun memories of dancing with a cute boy there as a tween/teen. 🤣
I remember I wanted to see that but my mother kept saying we were too young to go lol. And I'm only say8ing SOMEONE is going to miss something when they built enough memories around it. Most people were very happy they got rid of a lot of DCA 1.0. I don't think many miss stuff like the farm, Rt 66, the original entrance (Sunshine Plaza?) etc. But there are still people who want the original focus of what DCA 1.0 was trying to be, i.e, a more grounded and real version of California and the 'edutainment' focus it had. I'm not one of them. I grew up in California most of my life. If I want to learn something about it, I will just google it, watch a document or read a book. I don't look at theme parks for 'education' and probably I see DL as just a theme park as much as I love it but I'm getting off topic lol.

But we also adapt. People put up a big fuss about changes on the internet and yet I have never heard of any of these deplorable changes or additions stopping anyone from actually going....even though constantly make it a threat they will stop going lol.

With respect to TOT/MB, you are right about nostalgia for the original ride, but I think there would've been less of a violent reaction to the change if they hadn't converted the look of the building to a hideous monstrosity (that invades the BVS sight lines).

I fully agree on that. I think it still looks hideous too. And I like the Dr. Strange idea others been throwing around. But I can admit it's still a fun ride just the same. But if they ever converted to something else, I would be just as fine I think.

Last edited:

fctiger

By doing nothing. Literally. The recruits do diddly squat on RISE except sit there and at the end get a "Good job, recruits!". The outcome would be the same. We didn't even get to where Leia was waiting for us. Which was why we were recruiyed. She needed us.Its wheel spinning the ride. We end up bsck where we stary off from. We didn't accomplish the initial mission to get to Leia and at the end we just stay on Batuu. Pointless.

I don't understand why stuff like this bothers people? Its just FOR FUN!!! And also think many people here don't have kids, at least young ones because this is really who this stuff is aimed for. My kids love this stuff. It makes them feel more involved in the story even they don't actually do anything. My little girl nearly peed in her pants when she was chosen as the spy in Star Tours lol. I've never seen anyone more excited to be hunted down by an authoritarian regime, but it made her feel important for four minutes even if she had no idea what being a spy actually meant to the story.

__r.jr

Why so many of you are so attached to the ride is beyond me.
It stems, ahem, beyond attachment.

California Adventure's Tower of Terror may have been a condense edition of the original and a copy of Disneyland Paris' but it provided thematic integrity for the park and was considered a resort staple as a modern classic attraction.

It added story continuity, connecting it to Buena Vista Street and provided an ease of integration to the newly, intently Hollywoodland.

Adding narrative and thematic substance the park was criticized for not possessing since its opening.

With the existence of Mission: Breakout!, it undoes all of that.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

I liked the DCA version. I remembering going on the original at MGM Studios when it first opened and it only had one drop and a lap bar. That version didn't ruin the California version for me, I enjoyed it just fine and it was always a Must Do as Stacy says.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Yeah they will probably just refund your money too. I don't think this is a huge deal and frankly it's just probably for the first couple of days or maybe weeks. But we have been on this merry-go-round before with both CL and GE and all the fears the place will be so packed people will be turned away for weeks and even months on end and none of that ever happened.

Granted, difference being CL and GE are literally the biggest lands in each park and AC is pretty tiny but like everything, people will go in, do the ride if they get a BG, get a bite to eat, take a few pics and move on. Most won't stay any longer than an hour tops as there is so little to do with just a ride, restaurant and a shop. It may take a little longer to get inside but everyone will have no problem seeing it even when it opens. A month from now I'm guessing it won't be an issue at all. But probably trying to ride WEB or ordering food will most likely still be a pain.
Agreed. Once capacity opens up more on the 15th, I think a lot of this will go away. (Though mobile order will continue to be an issue for a while as it is everywhere until the staffing goes up, too.)

MarvelCharacterNerd

You point out that being in Disneyland is thematically inconsistent and his computer brain can't handle the illogic and implodes.

1622685972112.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom