Where is Walt's plane? UPDATE - Coming to D23 2022

Lilofan

I've driven the off limits roadway that contractors use for parking that used to be the landing strip of the airplane. It is down the road from Ft Wilderness.

Goofyernmost

Big crane? I don’t know.
Factually, as confirmed by our favorite urban explorer and part time thief, it is completely gutted. It has no engines or anything of any weight to it other then the tires so a crane could easily maneuver it in place. I assume they could get it back into the park the same way they got it out. But, I don't expect that to happen.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Factually, as confirmed by our favorite urban explorer and part time thief, it is completely gutted. It has no engines or anything of any weight to it other then the tires so a crane could easily maneuver it in place. I assume they could get it back into the park the same way they got it out. But, I don't expect that to happen.
The interior was sadly beyond repair even when it was in DHS.

GimpYancIent

I had read that someplace, but by the time he got to it, it was stripped clean.
1622302799520.png

Goofyernmost

As long as that museum is at WDW and they paint it like most of us remembered it when it was sitting in DHS. Otherwise it has no real significance at all. From what I read about it, Walt did use it a few times when looking at the Disney World site, but it was mostly used when they were putting the 1964 New York Worlds Fair together. There were other planes that he used as well.

Movielover

Otherwise it has no real significance at all.
It would still hold value to some places. Just because it can not fly does not mean it does not have value. The fact is Walt did use this plane and as such it has that historical significance. Yes he used other planes, are they still around?

but it was mostly used when they were putting the 1964 New York Worlds Fair together
Still does not change the fact that Walt used the plane. It has that historical significance to it. There are a wide range of museums that would take it. Heck places like The Henry Ford Museum or the Smithsonian might even restore the interior. The plane still holds value and thats why they have it kept under wraps backstage.

Goofyernmost

It would still hold value to some places. Just because it can not fly does not mean it does not have value. The fact is Walt did use this plane and as such it has that historical significance. Yes he used other planes, are they still around?

Still does not change the fact that Walt used the plane. It has that historical significance to it. There are a wide range of museums that would take it. Heck places like The Henry Ford Museum or the Smithsonian might even restore the interior. The plane still holds value and thats why they have it kept under wraps backstage.
That much I agree with. If it could be in either one of those and not some Vegas strip hotel then I think that would be perfect. If one of those places could restore the interior at least close to it's original and have a way to pass through it, I think it would be a really strong draw for all the Disney fans not only in the country but in all of Europe and Canada. As phenomenally cheap as I am, I would spend money to see it.

GimpYancIent

My strong recommendation for potential complete restoration and subsequent display in a truly magnificent setting for visitor's from around the world to enjoy is the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center / National Air & Space Museum located adjacent to Dulles Intl. airport in northern Virginia. Right along with the space shuttle, the Concord, Blackbird, Enola Gay and other magnificent aircraft. Not sections or artifacts but the entire fully restored aircraft. The Disney plane would be an outstanding addition to such a class collection. Oh, yea the place is cavernous as in absolutely huge.

TikibirdLand

My strong recommendation for potential complete restoration and subsequent display in a truly magnificent setting for visitor's from around the world to enjoy is the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center / National Air & Space Museum located adjacent to Dulles Intl. airport in northern Virginia. Right along with the space shuttle, the Concord, Blackbird, Enola Gay and other magnificent aircraft. Not sections or artifacts but the entire fully restored aircraft. The Disney plane would be an outstanding addition to such a class collection. Oh, yea the place is cavernous as in absolutely huge.
One doesn't grasp the scale of that place until you've stepped into it and have seen the U2 Blackbird sitting in front of the SPACE SHUTTLE. There are WWII fighter planes hanging from the ceiling in front of that as if they were toys in child's bedroom. Truly a sight to see. We spent way too much time there and took up a docent's time on a tour that you cannot miss when you go. The Air and Space Museum on Washington DC's mall pales in comparison!

Movielover

One doesn't grasp the scale of that place until you've stepped into it and have seen the U2 Blackbird sitting in front of the SPACE SHUTTLE. There are WWII fighter planes hanging from the ceiling in front of that as if they were toys in child's bedroom. Truly a sight to see. We spent way too much time there and took up a docent's time on a tour that you cannot miss when you go. The Air and Space Museum on Washington DC's mall pales in comparison!
If you ever have the chance to visit the Wright Patterson Air Force base and National Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH do so! Its just as incredible with a huge selection of Air Force planes from the early days of flight through the World Wars and all the way up to modern day and space flight. They also have all the former Air Force One's which are a real treat to see!

TikibirdLand

If you ever have the chance to visit the Wright Patterson Air Force base and National Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH do so! Its just as incredible with a huge selection of Air Force planes from the early days of flight through the World Wars and all the way up to modern day and space flight. They also have all the former Air Force One's which are a real treat to see!
Thanks for the tip. Would love to visit it!

In the Parks
Yes
Does Wright Patterson still have the alien remains from Area 51 ?

montyz81

Original Poster
As long as that museum is at WDW and they paint it like most of us remembered it when it was sitting in DHS. Otherwise it has no real significance at all. From what I read about it, Walt did use it a few times when looking at the Disney World site, but it was mostly used when they were putting the 1964 New York Worlds Fair together. There were other planes that he used as well.
I would say that its original livery should be used as that is how it was used with Walt. I believe that once it was removed from DHS it was put back to its original livery anyway.

1625167064956.png

Goofyernmost

I would say that its original livery should be used as that is how it was used with Walt. I believe that once it was removed from DHS it was put back to its original livery anyway.

View attachment 568230
I don't really disagree, but if it comes to instant recognition millions of people will remember seeing it in DHS and it's blue and white setup. Just a fantasy as it is never coming out of retirement but I suspect that if some museum bids high enough it might just end up there.. They could donate it I suppose, the question is would they.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom