Is there any news on the Epcot monorail?

TrainsOfDisney

It continues to surprise me how quickly some people are willing to jump down another's throat with an assumption-loaded charge based on what they think they read or interpreted.
Umm.... I was using “we” meaning myself as well. “Since we are playing the run a business game” and then I shared my thoughts on the subject. I wasn’t jumping down your throat I was offering a reply to your discussion.

PirateFrank

Umm.... I was using “we” meaning myself as well. “Since we are playing the run a business game” and then I shared my thoughts on the subject. I wasn’t jumping down your throat I was offering a reply to your discussion.
Fair enough!!
Then I need to apologize to you for thinking you misinterpreted my email, as I misinterpret yours! :oops:

PirateFrank

Not without the training of course. That leads to another issue regarding cannibalizing staffing from one department to supplement another. Many cast have transferred from their original location to busses, but that still isn't enough and leaves the other departments short handed.

Cross Training isn't a bad idea in business. But It definitely pulls from other departments leaving them short-handed, but the hope is that it's a temporary shortage. I just don't know how feasible it is to cross-training people to drive buses, given that it requires a different sort of license.

That being said, I see buses as an integral/primary part of the business. If you cant move people from the resorts to the parks, you're not going to get them to spend money on tickets, merch, food, etc. So taking some folks from those other departments to get people to the turnstiles is probably a good short term solution until you can get more help with transportation.

Figment2005

Cross Training isn't a bad idea in business. But It definitely pulls from other departments leaving them short-handed, but the hope is that it's a temporary shortage. I just don't know how feasible it is to cross-training people to drive buses, given that it requires a different sort of license.

That being said, I see buses as an integral/primary part of the business. If you cant move people from the resorts to the parks, you're not going to get them to spend money on tickets, merch, food, etc. So taking some folks from those other departments to get people to the turnstiles is probably a good short term solution until you can get more help with transportation.
I should have clarified better. The only way to get trained is to leave your current department. Transportation doesn't have cross-training like say a set of attractions in one of the parks. It's only one at a time.

ppete1975

im ok with some cross training, maybe knowing how to run a few attractions but to be honest id rather someone be as close to 100 percent invested into one thing that 50 here and 50 there, especially where transportation or safety is involved. Its very easy to make mistakes when its not your main job.

PirateFrank

im ok with some cross training, maybe knowing how to run a few attractions but to be honest id rather someone be as close to 100 percent invested into one thing that 50 here and 50 there, especially where transportation or safety is involved. Its very easy to make mistakes when its not your main job.
Indeed! I think cross training works better when the job functions are similar. In this instance, allowing transportation people (who are already familiar with safety protocols, procedures, etc) to be cross certified on buses (and whatever other vehicles they are driving). But to take a retail CM from World of Disney and say "Here are the keys to bus 94. Drive the Coronado Springs to Disney Springs route....don't hit anything!" That doesn't work as well! LOL!

CAV

Indeed! I think cross training works better when the job functions are similar. In this instance, allowing transportation people (who are already familiar with safety protocols, procedures, etc) to be cross certified on buses (and whatever other vehicles they are driving). But to take a retail CM from World of Disney and say "Here are the keys to bus 94. Drive the Coronado Springs to Disney Springs route....don't hit anything!" That doesn't work as well! LOL!
What you described is not cross training. It is malfeasance. There is no reason a person can't be cross trained to do dissimilar tasks.

CAV

But is there a reason it should be done?
Of course there is. Job enrichment is one. Efficiency is another. We just crossed trained strictly manual labor employees to write rather low level reports that much higher paid employees did. This allows the higher paid employees to concentrate on higher level tasks that only they can perform because of state licensing requirements. Plus, the lower level employees get a monthly stipend for performing the new duties.

MattM

It's not an explanation, it's an excuse. Planes are running completely full, there is no reason a monorail can't. And by no reason, I mean no legal or regulatory restriction blocking Disney from doing so. At the very least, they could run at 50% capacity, which since the Poly and Contemporary tower are closed, should be sufficient.

Disney is now filling theaters leaving only a space or two between parties. Gondolas have multiple parties per cabin. I accept the fact that the Epcot monorail can't run so long as Disney chooses to only run the monorails at 20% capacity. I do not accept their choice to do so as rational or necessary, however.

It's basically my wife saying hey, let's go for a run, and I say I can't because I'm sitting on the couch and don't have my running shoes on. Technically, that's true and explains why I can't run. But the explanation is based on a faulty premise that I can't do something whereas the reality is I'm just choosing not to.
So...you didnt read it?

MattM

So, is the Epoct monorail running again, or are we still making excuses for Disney scrambling because despite having a park reservation system and mounds of data, they didn't foresee that people might want to go back to Disney World this summer and plan accordingly?
lol

Dad 2 M & M

So, is the Epoct monorail running again, or are we still making excuses for Disney scrambling because despite having a park reservation system and mounds of data, they didn't foresee that people might want to go back to Disney World this summer and plan accordingly?
So is the Epcot monorail running again?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom