Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

Inspired Figment

I don't think you go back to what was, but take inspiration from it to create the new Imagination. While we all morn the death of the original attraction, wouldn't simply bringing it back be a bit lackluster since it's something that already existed. IMHO, be inspired by what came before, and wow us with something new
I understand what you’re saying but i don’t necessarily agree with that, I feel like while it was popular back in the 80s & 90s, too many people of this generation didn’t get to experience it the way it was intended to be. It was the most timeless pavilion & attraction they had, really what it needed was a reimagined ImageWorks. The fact the current ride’s outlasted the original by nearly 3 years now, about 5 years counting Your Imagination’s years IMO, is just sad. Most of the original building & track still exists. The only thing it needs being really hollow floor boards being removed and the turntable being upgraded. It’s Infact cheaper to do that then do a completely different ride. Why take the chance at possibly screwing it all up again when it worked just fine the first time? It was unjustly altered due to an intentional lessening of marketing on Disney’s part in favor of film IP, Honey I Shrunk to be exact .

Inspired Figment

I don't think you go back to what was, but take inspiration from it to create the new Imagination. While we all morn the death of the original attraction, wouldn't simply bringing it back be a bit lackluster since it's something that already existed. IMHO, be inspired by what came before, and wow us with something new
For me, that’s sorta like if for a while, they replaced the film Mary Poppins, for instance… with a film like High School Musical where Mary & Bert pop in and interfere from time to time to say it’s all wrong.. only to get a glimpse of something similar to the original near the end… despite the film still being titled “Mary Poppins” and that was the only one made available to watch in decent-high quality while the originals, beloved classic was nearly impossible to find, discontinued for years on end due to neglect from studio management, only able to be found in poor video/audio quality.. despite it’s massive popularity.
But because the original film already existed, they can’t release it again with some needed upgrades like picture remastering, possibly cut scenes added back in as a bonus, a better sound mix, etc.

Instead they can only release a remake of the original with new actors, a different story, etc, being advertised as a return of the original classic.. which has a higher chance of not being as good than the latter.

Last edited:

FigmentFan82

They're not remaking the original attraction. Wishful thinking at best. And its not analogous to films because those still exist in their form. Attractions are a different beast. Heck Snow White just went thru it's what, 4th, 5th iteration. WDI is not in the business of turning back the clock. Best we can hope for is something that is in the spirit of what was and builds upon that in a positive way

Inspired Figment

They're not remaking the original attraction. Wishful thinking at best. And its not analogous to films because those still exist in their form. Attractions are a different beast. Heck Snow White just went thru it's what, 4th, 5th iteration. WDI is not in the business of turning back the clock. Best we can hope for is something that is in the spirit of what was and builds upon that in a positive way
True, though with a Fantasyland ride.. and particuarly in Snow White’s case. The difference is, that’s based off a film.. and the ride is supposed to be a unique way of telling the same story that’s already well known, that’s been able to last for more than a few decades. They didn’t even change the core source material of the ride that much, they simply added to the ride more of the originally planned scenes & additions they would’ve added or even took away at a time (like the dwarves in the mine). Journey Into Imagination never got that chance as a unique WDW exclusive attraction and instead got replaced with a completely different Honey I shrunk/Medfield College attraction within’ it’s original building, with 1 original character shoehorned back in instead. WDI should finally admit to their mistake and change it back with the proper updates it should’ve received back in ‘98 as opposed to the pointless IP retheme. They did it with WDW’s Tiki Room after doing something very similar, despite it being shortened a bit.

Last edited:

Mickeynerd17

They did it with WDW’s Tiki Room after doing something very similar, despite it being shortened a bit.
That was partially instigated by the fire in 2011 when they just decided to return the original after repairing it, but you make a good point.

If that fire didn't happen, I'd bet money we would still have that awful version of the Tiki Room today.

Inspired Figment

They even pretended that it was more popular than the original (Tiki Room) in the article linked earlier.
Yeeah, my best guess is they were basing that entirely on attendance levels when it first reopened as the IP overlay.. simply because, “something’s new at the tiki room so we gotta see it”… just as with anything brand new that opens at Disney. Attendance peaks about the first couple few weeks-months, then dwindles, particuarly if it’s something bad.. But actual popularity/enjoyment of the thing.. I HIGHLY doubt it.

And it further proves my point that it was lack of/ intentional lessening of marketing that led to that show’s closure also. That, and they didn’t make the same enhancements they made to it like Disneyland did, along with a push in merchandising. If they would’ve done that same approach along with a push in marketing as a Walt Disney classic icon, that NEVER would’ve happened.
Practically everytime I’ve gone to Disneyland, honestly.. the show’s been packed full-house.. so yeah.

Inspired Figment

And speaking of which.. if the original show was getting “stale”.. I simply can’t understand why they wouldn’t first think of doing something along the lines of the Country Bears’ Vacation or Christmas shows seasonally instead. That way, there’s some fresh new content in the tiki room, but it never full on replaces the original show. It’s ‘that’ simple.

Inspired Figment

Granted, from what I’ve heard via d23 podcasts, when Dave was approached for the role. He was told Billy originally did the character and he was initially gonna do a Billy impression but the guy recording him told him he didn’t have to. So when he did the voice he did, they just pitched it up to sound somewhat like Billy’s… so yeah
10:21 & 19:21 ; sounds SPOT ON to Billy’s Figment, right?? Makes me wonder why they didn’t decide on him for the ‘02 version.. but oh well. Still wouldn’t have changed how badly conceived that version was I’m afraid.. Lol

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

I’ve also read on Disney Wiki that Figment appeared & was voiced by Corey again in House of Mouse.. though I have yet to find or see such an appearance or scene. Sure would be neat though as I LOVED House of Mouse as a kid (my second fave next to The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.. which ironically, Chuck McCann, the voice of Dreamfinder voiced a few characters in. ). Desperately wish they’d put HoM on Disney Plus in it’s entirety already though. That (which featured cartoon segments of the short-lived series Mickey Mouse Works) was IMO, the BEST contemporary version of Mickey shorts ever produced. Better than the current shorts even.

Last edited:

The Aracuan Bird

9:09, 10:04, & 19:21 ; sounds SPOT ON to Billy’s Figment, right?? Makes me wonder why they didn’t decide on him for the ‘02 version.. but oh well. Still wouldn’t have changed how badly conceived that version was I’m afraid.. Lol

19:21 is Billy. Maybe someone can confirm, but watching enough of ten educational videos and the ride soundtrack, you can hear the distinct similarities in the voice.

9:09 and 10:04 sound a bit different, but to the untrained ear, it’s hard to tell.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I’ve gone over it so many times now.

Inspired Figment

19:21 is Billy. Maybe someone can confirm, but watching enough of ten educational videos and the ride soundtrack, you can hear the distinct similarities in the voice.

9:09 and 10:04 sound a bit different, but to the untrained ear, it’s hard to tell.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I’ve gone over it so many times now.
One thing to note is some of the laughter, Ooh (when he’s scared), one of the ‘yeah’ ‘s and the ending “Can they imagine too?” is indeed reused stuff of Billy’s. But the rest of the brand new dialogue. That’s Corey from what I can tell doing a very close/nearly spot on impression of Billy.. I too have heard many many recordings of Figment over time and I’m positive they’re all Corey with the exception of the couple reused clips I mentioned.

The Aracuan Bird

One thing to note is some of the laughter, Ooh (when he’s scared), one of the ‘yeah’ ‘s and the ending “Can they imagine too?” is indeed reused stuff of Billy’s. But the rest of the brand new dialogue. That’s Corey from what I can tell doing a very close/nearly spot on impression of Billy.. I too have heard many many recordings of Figment over time and I’m positive they’re all Corey with the exception of the couple reused clips I mentioned.
I know what you’re talking about, but listen to the “You’re quite clever, all of you” and the “Incredible, awesome, absolutely fabulous”.

Then listen to his voice here.

Unless that’s not Barty either, and I’ve been lied to by the credits.

Inspired Figment

I know what you’re talking about, but listen to the “You’re quite clever, all of you” and the “Incredible, awesome, absolutely fabulous”.

Then listen to his voice here.

Unless that’s not Barty either, and I’ve been lied to by the credits.

Well of course, Figment’s known for having that type of inflection in his voice, which I feel Corey was able to capture perfectly in his performance. But it’s definitely Billy voicing him in the educational videos.

SailorMercury

Make of this what you will. I’m not convinced this is the truth. Just doesn’t seem realistic atm.

Oh hey! I’m Bonnie Appetite there! Just want to say that this is actual stuff I have heard. Like I said a few replies down, I’m not sure how reliable the info is so I didn’t want to elaborate too much, as to not spread too much false info. But yeah. Just wanna clear that up. :)

Homemade Imagineering

Oh hey! I’m Bonnie Appetite there! Just want to say that this is actual stuff I have heard. Like I said a few replies down, I’m not sure how reliable the info is so I didn’t want to elaborate too much, as to not spread too much false info. But yeah. Just wanna clear that up. :)
Thanks for clearing that up!! Sorry if I sounded so doubtful on my original post. It’s just hard to believe alot of things you hear around the community nowadays online, especially when it comes to a pavilion that’s been ignored for so long. Thanks again for the insight!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom