Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

Inspired Figment

Huh, interesting. Maybe it was in Communicore as a preliminary thing before they made a bigger Sega area when switching over to Innoventions?

Or maybe it wasn't at Epcot at all and was at one of the resort arcades, and you just associated it with Epcot since Epcot was all about the future?

I don't see where it would have gone in the Imagination Pavilion since ImageWorks was already full of activities -- also I was there around that time period and don't remember any arcade games in it, although that doesn't mean there weren't. I'm sure there are lots of things I don't remember from those trips since I was just a kid.
No way would it have been ImageWorks.. because the activities were strictly focused on Dreamfinder & Figment and the theme of creativity.. not any arcade games per say. Innoventions was the place that featured any video games (particuarly by SEGA) and possibly the arcades in the resort hotels

FigmentFan82

Anyone remember an odd video game that I believe was in the Imagination pavilion? It was a crude attempt at holography and you faced off against a cowboy as I remember it. It used a real actor and I think a peppers ghost type projection effect. Probably a lazer disk experience where you are triggering different chapters by your limited actions. My brother played it once. It did cost money to try, but you could also just watch it in a sort of demo mode.

*I found it, though I can't remember exactly where it was placed:

I think they had this at an arcade I used to go to. Never was able to successfully play the damn thing

vikescaper

Anyone remember an odd video game that I believe was in the Imagination pavilion? It was a crude attempt at holography and you faced off against a cowboy as I remember it. It used a real actor and I think a peppers ghost type projection effect. Probably a lazer disk experience where you are triggering different chapters by your limited actions. My brother played it once. It did cost money to try, but you could also just watch it in a sort of demo mode.

I think it was in the resort arcades. I definitely remember playing it while staying at what was then Dixie Landings. That would have been either 1991 or 1992.

Mickeynerd17

You might be remembering the Dreamfinder's School of Drama, which involved kids acting out a scene (one of which was cowboy themed I believe) and it would show up on monitors. As far as video games there was nothing SEGA-related inside Imageworks that I know of.

You might be right, or wrong. Not sure. 🤷‍♂️

sedati

You might be remembering the Dreamfinder's School of Drama, which involved kids acting out a scene (one of which was cowboy themed I believe) and it would show up on monitors. As far as video games there was nothing SEGA-related inside Imageworks that I know of.

You might be right, or wrong. Not sure. 🤷‍♂️
Oh, I remember Dreamfinder's School of Drama very well and had done it several times.

Homemade Imagineering

B4FC55D3-42D3-45D1-B6B0-DF0B4DE41CB6.jpeg
I saw auction Figment today!

The Aracuan Bird

If they were to redo the ride, how could they honestly replace Billy Barty? The current voice (no disrespect to the actor) tries to imitate Barty, but it comes off as annoying rather than endearing.

Homemade Imagineering

Probably the same way they did in 2002? I wouldn't necessarily say that Dave Goelz reprises his role as Figment, but someone to imitate Billy Barty again for sure.
Exactly. With the VR Figment project being developed for (most likely) Play, it makes me wonder whether he’ll be accompanied by a new voice actor for new lines, or if they’ll simply reuse dialogue from the original or current attraction.

The Grand Inquisitor

Exactly. With the VR Figment project being developed for (most likely) Play, it makes me wonder whether he’ll be accompanied by a new voice actor for new lines, or if they’ll simply reuse dialogue from the original or current attraction.
Personally I would love to see Dave come back. He's a great guy and a fantastic performer. Plus he does a lot for Disney as Gonzo so I could see him doing something with Figment.

The Aracuan Bird

No disrespect to him, I love his Gonzo, but his Figment is ear grating to me. Particularly the singing. Figment is the embodiment of childlike wonder. I don’t get that from him. He comes off as an annoying pest. If it’s true that Corey Burton did the voice in the JIYI queue, the replacement should be him. Or anyone that can capture that childlike sense of wonder in Barry’s performance.

DoleWhipDrea

There is absolutely an actor, somewhere out there, that can perform Figment's voice in the spirit of Barty. There are a great number of talented performers, especially voice actors, that are waiting to get the recognition they deserve. The question is whether or not Disney will make the effort to find them.

I respect Dave greatly for his performances, and I think he did a good job reading as Figment. For those feeling the lack of childlike wonder, I blame that far more on the script and direction of the current version - Figment is absolutely meant to be nuisance. You can thank WDI for being so ticked off at the fans of the original that they went a step further for revenge by actively trying to make him less likable. Ego knows no bounds. Heaven forbid they make things that, you know, actual guests will enjoy in these parks?

Brer Panther

I could see Ben Diskin pulling off Figment pretty well. His voice for Baby Gonzo in the Muppet Babies reboot has a Figment-y vibe to it.

Figment is absolutely meant to be nuisance. You can thank WDI for being so ticked off at the fans of the original that they went a step further for revenge by actively trying to make him less likable.
He's just tormenting Dr. Channing because he hated the second version as much as everyone else did.

Inspired Figment

He's just tormenting Dr. Channing because he hated the second version as much as everyone else did.
It genuinely saddens me to tell you… but she’s right. They probably had that in mind when creating it too.. that nobody (particuarly most Figment lovers) would notice/catch on when they’re so preoccupied by the simple fact that Figment has a larger role compared to the last redo. They ‘did’ intentionally portray Figment as a nuisance due to their annoyance of the fans’ complaints.. (take a look at the “focus group” eye chart next time you’re on the ride…) 😉 There’s also a reason why they have it setup that the “big stink” in the smell lab is what gets Channing to stop the tour (as opposed to a familiar scent of rose.. remember the ‘original ride’ ‘s scent of rose??) “, then shortly after (take a listen behind the closed Laugh Lab & Dream Lab doors you pass by.. with laughter coming out of the laugh lab and snoring recorded by Chuck McCann (original voice of Dreamfinder) before.. (hehe, Dreamfinder was put to sleep behind closed doors… LULZ, yeeeah, no kidding. With HONEY, I SHRUNK THE AUDIENCE, that is..) and Channing eventually caves into the Friends of Figment’s “Upside Down” way of thinking… ultimately concluding with “Imagination is a Blast” (Ohh yes, they ‘did’ Infact mean it that way..) don’t kid yourself. It’s gross what they did to that attraction..

They were slick in what they did… took the Tiki Room: Under New Management route but reversed the roles… have the old character be the nuisance as opposed to the new.. to the point they even used the same type of sign. (Same Splattered paint they used for New Management is used for With Figment)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom