Is there any news on the Epcot monorail?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Maybe he doesn't but he does know a lot more then you or I would when it comes to internal operations.
'Member when the quality of the guest experience outweighed financial and operational concerns?

member.jpg

orky8

did you not read the explanations?

It's not an explanation, it's an excuse. Planes are running completely full, there is no reason a monorail can't. And by no reason, I mean no legal or regulatory restriction blocking Disney from doing so. At the very least, they could run at 50% capacity, which since the Poly and Contemporary tower are closed, should be sufficient.

Disney is now filling theaters leaving only a space or two between parties. Gondolas have multiple parties per cabin. I accept the fact that the Epcot monorail can't run so long as Disney chooses to only run the monorails at 20% capacity. I do not accept their choice to do so as rational or necessary, however.

It's basically my wife saying hey, let's go for a run, and I say I can't because I'm sitting on the couch and don't have my running shoes on. Technically, that's true and explains why I can't run. But the explanation is based on a faulty premise that I can't do something whereas the reality is I'm just choosing not to.

M:SpilotISTC12

I doubt it comes back anytime soon. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't part of the track go by the construction zone in FW? My guess is that it'll stay closed until they know what they are doing there so the monorail doesn't get in the way. They probably don't want to open it just to close it again when it comes time to build.

TikibirdLand

I doubt it comes back anytime soon. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't part of the track go by the construction zone in FW? My guess is that it'll stay closed until they know what they are doing there so the monorail doesn't get in the way. They probably don't want to open it just to close it again when it comes time to build.
Well, the resort loop goes through the Poly construction zone. Why wouldn't the resort loop be closed due to it? I think the reason is due to guests wanting to go to EPCoT. The cut is frankly arbitrary though. The cost of running it isn't that high when compared to what resort guests are spending.

"We want's the EPCoT Monorail", screams the pirates!

PirateFrank

What makes this crazier - is that WDW (and all of Orlando) is in the middle of a massive bus driver shortage. They can't hire back enough experienced drivers because when they let them all go, they went on to get better paying delivery and long haul jobs. So they have to resort to training new drivers - it takes time to both get a new driver a CDL and train them in Disney procedures. They've had to literally subcontract in a bus company from southern Florida (and put the drivers up in a hotel for a few months) to drive people from the resorts to the parks.

Firing up the Epcot monorail could alleviate the current strain on bus demand.....but they don't do it. It's truly a head scratcher.

orky8

Not really, the track looks to be outside the construction perimeter - just perhaps when the bring materials in/out. But as TikiBird pointed out, they have the resort/express line running and there is construction on the Poly station.

EzyK0CiWEAQoVho

TrainsOfDisney

It's not an explanation, it's an excuse. Planes are running completely full, there is no reason a monorail can't. And by no reason, I mean no legal or regulatory restriction blocking Disney from doing so. At the very least, they could run at 50% capacity, which since the Poly and Contemporary tower are closed, should be sufficient.

Disney is now filling theaters leaving only a space or two between parties. Gondolas have multiple parties per cabin. I accept the fact that the Epcot monorail can't run so long as Disney chooses to only run the monorails at 20% capacity. I do not accept their choice to do so as rational or necessary, however.

It's basically my wife saying hey, let's go for a run, and I say I can't because I'm sitting on the couch and don't have my running shoes on. Technically, that's true and explains why I can't run. But the explanation is based on a faulty premise that I can't do something whereas the reality is I'm just choosing not to.

Agreed 100%. Same for the parking lot trams.

correcaminos

Well, the resort loop goes through the Poly construction zone. Why wouldn't the resort loop be closed due to it? I think the reason is due to guests wanting to go to EPCoT. The cut is frankly arbitrary though. The cost of running it isn't that high when compared to what resort guests are spending.

"We want's the EPCoT Monorail", screams the pirates!
Two totally different things IMO. The construction at EPCOT is not visible easily to the regular guest from ground level. Polynesian is.

TrainsOfDisney

Has Disney ever closed an attraction or transportation because of the visibility of construction?

I mean this is the same Disney that had a conveyor belt of construction debris going over world drive during Star Wars construction. They don’t seem that worried about the guests seeing construction.

Thelazer

What makes this crazier - is that WDW (and all of Orlando) is in the middle of a massive bus driver shortage. They can't hire back enough experienced drivers because when they let them all go, they went on to get better paying delivery and long haul jobs. So they have to resort to training new drivers - it takes time to both get a new driver a CDL and train them in Disney procedures. They've had to literally subcontract in a bus company from southern Florida (and put the drivers up in a hotel for a few months) to drive people from the resorts to the parks.

Firing up the Epcot monorail could alleviate the current strain on bus demand.....but they don't do it. It's truly a head scratcher.

You know, I'm fine with it.

The way Disney, Univseral and etc did the cast dirty.. let them struggle a bit to find good qualified folks.

splashtest

I have a feeling Epcot Monorail will open when Polynesian opens in July to the Public. I’d be shocked if it didn’t. We just got back Sunday from staying 10 day’s at the Poly. That bus stop will be atrocious when the resort is at full capacity if the Epcot Monorail stays closed.

Now that I said it out loud it won’t happen.

Lilofan

Yes WDW does have challenges ahead, but did one really expected to keep the bus drivers on the payroll instead of laying them off last year?

Disone

Monorails do not have the robust air filtration systems that jetliners have. Its not even worth comparing. Gondolas are not running with multiple parties. The monorails, now with roughly 20 to 24 per care, are currently at about 50% of their normal occupancy. pre covid, It was about 20ish seating, and if they packed it in, another 20 standing.

But I accept that you don't except... its okay. You definitely think the risk is a non factor. At best Disney either is not willing to take that same risk and being in the news for bad Covid Protocols, or at worst, saving a dime to try to improve 2020 financials as much as possible. Possibly both? Either way or something else, the Epcot line will be back. Its only a matter of time now.

Figment2005

One word... Staffing. You think the busses are the only transportation method that is short on cast? If the Epcot monorail were to open up tomorrow it would cut deeply into the cast that are needed for the other stations. So instead of being able to efficiently move guests from MK/Resorts to the TTC consistently, it would be a barebones operation at all the stations and then you would be complaining about the poor guest experience there.

So train new pilots right? Yeah, not going to happen until distancing and time constraints in a confined space are removed. 2 weeks of being in a train cab with another person for 8 hours a day isn't possible right now.

Epcot will reopen when Epcot reopens. Simple as that. You can agree or disagree with the reasoning, but your stance on the matter is completely pointless in the grand scheme of the situation.

flutas

Monorails do not have the robust air filtration systems that jetliners have. Its not even worth comparing. Gondolas are not running with multiple parties. The monorails, now with roughly 20 to 24 per care, are currently at about 50% of their normal occupancy. pre covid, It was about 20ish seating, and if they packed it in, another 20 standing.

But I accept that you don't except... its okay. You definitely think the risk is a non factor. At best Disney either is not willing to take that same risk and being in the news for bad Covid Protocols, or at worst, saving a dime to try to improve 2020 financials as much as possible. Possibly both? Either way or something else, the Epcot line will be back. Its only a matter of time now.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom