Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
When you observe this thread for a period of time, you start to see it's cadence - any time any legitimate questions about the vaccine show up - how long it is going to last, what variants it may or may not cover, the things we just do not know yet - he conversation gets shut down, one way (people just dismiss the idea as doom and gloom) or another (people get so rude or belligerent about it that the posts disappear).

This acceptable attitude for this thread is "I picked out this number, so this means this is pretty much all done!" and "I have my vaccination, I'm 100% protected! Let's get this over with!" It is highly resistant (pun intended) to anything but what folks want to hear.

Like WDW, people come to here for reassurance - not a truly honest look at the subject which includes the positive, negative, and unknowns (of which there are many, but that doesn't mean they don't exist).
Thank you, it's good to be reminded that beyond those who agree with me in real life, there are those on the forum who do, too. My sister's a nurse and she is still not 100% happy that things are being lifted so soon in the city (at least).

Touchdown

Thank you, it's good to be reminded that beyond those who agree with me in real life, there are those on the forum who do, too. My sister's a nurse and she is still not 100% happy that things are being lifted so soon in the city (at least).
At some point you have to access your own risk and accept not everyone agrees. I’m not happy I’ll still be treating Covid for a while, but I’m very happy returning to my normal life knowing my chances are extremely low and cases in this country continue to drop.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
At some point you have to access your own risk and accept not everyone agrees. I’m not happy I’ll still be treating Covid for a while, but I’m very happy returning to my normal life knowing my chances are extremely low and cases in this country continue to drop.
At some point you're going to have to stop telling people how to feel. I haven't once told anyone here to feel badly about their comfort level. Never. But see, that's the difference I keep pointing out.

pixie225

Curious how many are not getting the vaccine because they’ve already had covid? I’m sure that factors into the unvaxxed numbers too since they may decide getting vaxxed on top of already having natural covid antibodies isn’t worth it.
I am sure there are quite a number of people thinking that. I know at least 3 friends who had covid and are not getting the vaccine because 1. they feel they have natural immunity since they had it, and/or 2. feel they will get a bad reaction from the vaccine since they had covid. I keep reminding them that my daughter had covid in March 2020, and 8 months later had no antibodies left in her when tested. She had donated plasma in April 2020 so she knows she had them at that point in time.

Touchdown

At some point you're going to have to stop telling people how to feel. I haven't once told anyone here to feel badly about their comfort level. Never. But see, that's the difference I keep pointing out.
Not trying to tell you how to feel but if you’re for following the science then you need to put those feelings aside and do some cold analytical thinking. Feelings have no place in Science.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Not trying to tell you how to feel but if you’re for following the science then you need to put those feelings aside and do some cold analytical thinking. Feelings have no place in Science.
I'm not following the science. How many times do I have to say that? I never have "followed the science" when it came to COVID. That's why I find it humorous when people point that out to me as some kind of ultimatum. I merely stepped back and watched the ballgame. I just watched it and made my own determinations due to my own comfort levels. And I watched people die, get sick, recover, get sick, recover and have long-standing side effects, etc.

For me, it was never about science or fearmongering or any other hashtag anyone can throw at me. It wasn't about destroying the economy, destroying people in power, spreading doom and gloom. It was observing the actions of others and saying, wow, this isn't good. I'm uncomfortable. And I happen to live in a part of the country that was hit the hardest first that people in other parts of the country have no idea the long shellshock of dealing with it. Especially when for months online, I was told it was no big deal. AND during the actual event, many in the media and in leadership were saying it was no big deal.

Forgive me if I remain stalwart in my questioning but I remind you, it has nothing to do with following the science. That's my take and no one can take it away from me.

EDIT: And there are those in the city who were able to make peace and move on -- this is not a blanket excuse for myself as I know it isn't everyone's experience.

Touchdown

Parker than you know your making the same arguments deniers were making now, it’s so frustrating for someone in my position, but at least you aren’t harming others with your unfounded opinions. I wish I lived in a more rational world.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Parker than you know your making the same arguments deniers were making now, it’s so frustrating for someone in my position, but at least you aren’t harming others with your unfounded opinions. I wish I lived in a more rational world.
My unfounded opinions. Thanks, welcome to ignore.

Touchdown

My unfounded opinions. Thanks, welcome to ignore.
I wasn’t trying to be insulting, and I’m sorry if I came off that way. Just in case I’m not too late.

Unfounded opinions are simply statements with no evidence behind them. We’ve been open for awhile now and cases continue to drop, vaccinations are up. Therefore currently your view were to early is unfounded.

I wasn’t suggesting all of the things you posted were unfounded. Sorry.

jlhwdw

I'm not following the science. How many times do I have to say that?
If you aren't following the science may I ask what you are doing? You say you are "watching the ballgame", which is sort of what I feel like everyone does. With that analogy, the players have successfully figured out how to beat the opponent and it's working. After a year in a mask and distancing, it is a very good feeling for me to make a trip into the store or sit at my desk without worrying about having a mask on or staying far away from friends and co workers.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
On Friday, my workplace dropped the requirement for those who are vaccinated to wear masks. I am very happy that we've reached that point. It's wonderful how well the vaccines have performed.
I wish my company would do the same. They have decided that vaccination status is private so won’t ask so now everyone still has to wear masks. Every employer in the country should implement the CDC guidance as official policy ASAP and ask for proof of vaccination for workers to get out of masks. If that happened we would hit 80% of adults vaccinated by the end of June or sooner. Very few people feel so strongly opposed to the vaccines that they would be willing to sit around in a mask unnecessarily.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The fact they have to give people incentives is pretty sad. It's why I will be surprised if vaccination rates ever hit 75%.
I don’t disagree that it’s sad, but it is what it is. All that matters now is getting enough people vaccinated to drive cases down to stay and finish our return to normal and that includes doing whatever it take to get more people vaccinated. We are on track for 70% of adults with at least 1 shot by July 4 and the vaccine effort won’t end then either. More people will trickle in over time. I think there’s a good chance we eventually get to 75% or pretty close.

wutisgood

I see fireworks shows are coming back for many places around the 4th of July. I cant see Disney being later than this. If they wanted to wait the 4th they could come back with a bang.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I see fireworks shows are coming back for many places around the 4th of July. I cant see Disney being later than this. If they wanted to wait the 4th they could come back with a bang.
My uneducated and probably wild guess is they wait until July 11 for fireworks at MK which would be the 1 year anniversary of the parks re-opening in 2020 and would get them past any wild crowds that would arrive for actual July 4th. I think maybe EPCOT fireworks come back even sooner since they are open later and have even more room to spread out crowds.

Take anything I say with a grain of salt since I also predicted last Spring that Disney wouldn’t reopen the parks as long as masks were required 😬😳🤭

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom