News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Nickp1983

I have always been of the opinion that they will not stop you from leaving if you want to, but it will obviously be to your benefit not to leave.
Totally. It's not like they will hold you in place. But most likely they will have an "escape pod" section for guests brave enough to venture out onto this strange planet called EeArth... but beware. The First Order is out there.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So just read that you aren't allowed to leave.
You check in. Are given a transponder (phone) and then your 60 hour adventure begins.
So my guess is if this is 2 nights and 3 days. It will be like a cruise. The people staying there will have to check in on the same day. Leave on the same day.
Starting to remind me of the murder mystery mansion episode of Saved By The Bell.
1. Of course you can leave. You're not in shackles. They most likely will highly discourage it and make transportation your own business (Lyft). Also, it makes no sense to be paying so much for this experience and not experience it.

2. Where did you see we're given a transponder? Even the Phineas and Ferb adventure in Epcot stopped giving out devices and just had people download an app. The event is all about Live Role-Playing, not app-based tasks (though, I can see app based tasks being used supplementally).

3. You can't have a 60 hour adventure if you're only there two days. It's clear Mashable doesn't know what it's talking about. Stick with sources that are familiar with Disney Parks or Star Wars. You check in the afternoon of day 1 and have one sleep. You're there all day on day 2 and have another sleep. You check out on day 3. Both day 1 and day 3 are half days. It's less than 48 hours.

4. Yes, a Murder Mystery event is comparable to what this is. As well as being on a cruise ship with one or two excursions to Batuu.

As for price...

Here within is a summary of rumored prices. (Bookmark it.)

First, everyone needs to be clear on what "Double Occupancy" means. It's a marketing device used most notably by cruise lines to make their rooms seem cheaper than the are... by half! "Double Occupancy" means that you will be charged at a minimum for two people in the room. So, if a cruise line says that the trip only costs $1000 per person (double occupancy), it means they will charge $2,000, even if only one person is in the room. They're charging the minimum of 2 (double occupancy) even if only one. So, whenever you see "double occupancy" per person, multiply by 2.

Second, when comparing the rumored prices, I will focus on the total of two nights. It's a minimum of 2 nights, so, cost per night is irrelevant unless you want to compare it to other resorts 'per night' rates. I will post the rumored total, and the final total that 1, 2, or 4 people who are sharing the room would each have to pay for the full two nights.

The Survey

One leaked survey asked people if they would pay $2,000 for the experience. This is where the oft quoted "$1,000 per night" comes from. But that's pretty cheap. The cost split would be...
  • 1 person: $2,000
  • 2 people: $1,000 each
  • 4 people: $500 each.

@Kamikaze claims that this is definitely a "double occupancy" case. This would mean the room for two nights is $4,000. The cost split would be...
  • 1 person: $4,000
  • 2 people: $2,000 each
  • 4 people: $1,000 each.

Jim Hill

@lentesta has said the Jim overheard at a D23 event that the total cost for 2 nights would be $1,300, plus $400 for each extra person. The cost split would be...
  • 1 person: $1,300
  • 2 people: $850 each
  • 4 people: $625 each.
Again, that seems too cheap, and again, @Kamikaze says it's surely "double occupancy." That would make the starting price for 2 nights be $2,600. The cost split would be....
  • 1 person: $2,600
  • 2 people: $1,300 each
  • 4 people: $850 each.

@Kamikaze

Don't know how Kamikaze knows, but their reckoning is the room will be a total of $2,200 (pitched as $550 double occupancy per night), plus $400 per extra person. The cost split would then be...
  • 1 person: $2,200
  • 2 people: $1,100 each
  • 4 people: $750 each.

That Other Site

The Unnameable Site claimed they got leaked prices: $3,300 for one person for two nights, plus extra for each extra person going up to $7,200 for 5 people. Doing some quick algebra, the cost split would be...
  • 1 person: $3,300
  • 2 people: $2,138 each
  • 4 people: $1,556 each.
That other site thought this was a good price because they got confused that "3 days / 2 nights" means you price for 2 nights, and not 3 days. So, they divided the total cost by 3 and thought $1,100/night was a good price! [Per night, this schema is actually $1,650 per night.]

And this...

I'm sure the sign up for this is going to have a lot of warning screens you have to check thru, if not having to call to reserve and a CM running thru all the caveats.

Thank-you for your interest in staying aboard the Halcyon! Before we schedule a stay, I have some details of the event to go over with you:

The Halcyon is a three-day, two-night role-playing experience that takes place entirely within the hotel building with two trips to Galaxy's Edge in Disney Hollywood Studios. Do you understand that there will be no transportation provided to you or your party from the hotel to any other destination in Walt Disney World or outside of Walt Disney World during your stay?

You mean I can't go to the Magic Kingdom if I wanted?​

The expectation is that you're signing up for two days of Star Wars role-playing and events and you will not leave that experience for any other destination. No one will force you to stay in the hotel, but if you chose to leave, you will have to call a transportation service to leave and return at your own expense.

I thought this was just a Disney hotel?​

It is not. It is a three-day, two-night role-playing experience that takes place entirely within the hotel building with two trips to Galaxy's Edge in Disney Hollywood Studios. Do you understand that there will be no transportation provided to you or your party from the hotel to any other destination in Walt Disney World or outside of Walt Disney World during your stay?

OK, I guess I do now.​

Do you understand the experience includes Cast Members taking on the roles of people who inhabit the Star Wars universe and they will act in character as such for the entirety of your stay, including meals and all the events that will be available to all guests during your stay?

They're going to pretend they're Star Wars characters?​

Yes. This is a three-day, two-night role-playing experience that takes place entirely within the hotel building with two trips to Galaxy's Edge in Disney Hollywood Studios. Do you understand that the experience includes Cast Members taking on the roles of people who inhabit the Star Wars universe and they will act in character as such for the entirety of your stay, including meals and all the events that will be available to all guests during your stay?

OK, I do now.​

Do you understand that the experience greatly encourages all guests to also take on the role as if they were living in the Star Wars universe including dressing-up as such, if you wish, and participating in all group activities as such?

You mean I gotta pretend, too?​

No, you don't, but we're encouraging you to, and hoping you'll find it a fun experience for you and your party. So, do you understand that the experience greatly encourages all guests to also take on the role as if they were living in the Star Wars universe including dressing-up as such, if you wish, and participating in all group activities as such?

OK, I do now. At least if I don't like it, I can spend the entire time by the pool.​

There is no pool.

Ya know... this isn't for me, thank-you for your time.​

Sorry to hear that, is there anything else I can help you with today?

No.​

Have a magical day.

hopemax

DH and I were both huge Star Wars fans (until the disappointments of the prequels/sequels). But we're not stupid. DH has no interest in a $100 droid or a $200 lightsaber, but he did really enjoy the datapad thingy (the only one I know who did). In 2018, we did the YOLO trip to Tokyo, stayed in a Captain Mickey triple room (my Dad was with us too) at Mira Costa for 66,000 Yen/night for 6 nights. So that was about $600/night. For us, that is what all of the WDW experiences are competing against. We didn't have interaction, just true deluxe service and we were in Japan. DH can't imagine what 2n/3d experience WDW could provide, which we have been mostly unsatisfied with, be good enough that he would choose this over doing that, or one of the other world travel adventures that would cost similar for a week. Not only would we need retractable lightsabers for home use, we would probably need our own Grogu and Mando during our stay.

_caleb

So just read that you aren't allowed to leave.
You check in. Are given a transponder (phone) and then your 60 hour adventure begins.
So my guess is if this is 2 nights and 3 days. It will be like a cruise. The people staying there will have to check in on the same day. Leave on the same day.
Starting to remind me of the murder mystery mansion episode of Saved By The Bell.
This was news to you?

Mr. Moderate

DH and I were both huge Star Wars fans (until the disappointments of the prequels/sequels). But we're not stupid. DH has no interest in a $100 droid or a $200 lightsaber, but he did really enjoy the datapad thingy (the only one I know who did). In 2018, we did the YOLO trip to Tokyo, stayed in a Captain Mickey triple room (my Dad was with us too) at Mira Costa for 66,000 Yen/night for 6 nights. So that was about $600/night. For us, that is what all of the WDW experiences are competing against. We didn't have interaction, just true deluxe service and we were in Japan. DH can't imagine what 2n/3d experience WDW could provide, which we have been mostly unsatisfied with, be good enough that he would choose this over doing that, or one of the other world travel adventures that would cost similar for a week. Not only would we need retractable lightsabers for home use, we would probably need our own Grogu and Mando during our stay.
I really liked your post and I feel pretty much as you do, especially the part about the disappointment of the newer SW movies and the direction of where Disney is taking all of this, including the obscene pricing. The more I learn of the new interactive experience at the Galactic Star Cruiser, the more I'm turned off. I'll watch the videos from select group of Vloggers that Disney will most likely comp this experience in order to sell this further to those wanting this experience. Of course you will have a large amount of those doing it on their own dime and I can just picture all of the various vloggers running around with their phones and cameras annoying everyone else around them.

I'm hoping for a once in a lifetime trip to Tokyo by 2023 and will stay at either the Disneyland hotel or the Mira Costa. I would rather pay their rates and get their great service and theming, instead of what the prices will be in WDW for anything considered deluxe. From all of my exhaustive research in planning my trip to TDL and TDS, I'm more certain than ever that the average park goers in this country, have little clue to how great the parks are in Tokyo.

corran horn

The $$$ for Star Wars gets spent on LEGO. He'd much rather have some of the UCS sets that he can display, plus the versatility of LEGO than those.
both GIF

_caleb

Yup. With covid and othe items... this wasn't anywhere on my list for things to keep up on.

Last thing I knew is it was a hotel in the shape of a starship and it may have blue milk
See, this underscores what several of us around here have been saying since they announced the Starcruiser experience—the general public does not know what this thing is supposed to be.

You’re not alone—“Star Wars Hotel” has been used from the beginning, and they’re going to have a very difficult time adjusting public perception and expectations.

Because they haven’t been proactive in explaining, every new detail that comes out about it will be received as bad news:
  • The price makes sense for a cruise/role-playing experience, but not for a “hotel.”
  • The rooms are realistic for a space cruise, but not for a resort.
  • ”The won’t let you leave“ sounds strict.
  • “No pool?” “No transportation to Epcot?” etc. are reasonable questions for a hotel.
By the time they get around to releasing video on social media or that ABC special sneak peek, it will be too late.

Star Wars fans will provide plenty of demand, but the bigger picture is Disney’s missing a huge opportunity to create demand for the next immersive fan experience they build. TONS of people who are NOT Star Wars fans could be hearing about this and saying, “Nah, this isn’t for me. But if they do a _________ (Pirates/Western/Haunted Mansion) version, sign me up!”

runnsally

See, this underscores what several of us around here have been saying since they announced the Starcruiser experience—the general public does not know what this thing is supposed to be.

You’re not alone—“Star Wars Hotel” has been used from the beginning, and they’re going to have a very difficult time adjusting public perception and expectations.

Because they haven’t been proactive in explaining, every new detail that comes out about it will be received as bad news:
  • The price makes sense for a cruise/role-playing experience, but not for a “hotel.”
  • The rooms are realistic for a space cruise, but not for a resort.
  • ”The won’t let you leave“ sounds strict.
  • “No pool?” “No transportation to Epcot?” etc. are reasonable questions for a hotel.
By the time they get around to releasing video on social media or that ABC special sneak peek, it will be too late.

Star Wars fans will provide plenty of demand, but the bigger picture is Disney’s missing a huge opportunity to create demand for the next immersive fan experience they build. TONS of people who are NOT Star Wars fans could be hearing about this and saying, “Nah, this isn’t for me. But if they do a _________ (Pirates/Western/Haunted Mansion) version, sign me up!”
They should just play Westworld Season 2 on Magical Express.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Because - It's not a thing yet? And it's only been teased in fan circles? Why should the general public know about something that isn't actually marketed or sold yet?

By Disney? No it hasn't - this has been debunked multiple times. Just because some sloppy bloggers and reporters use it doesn't make it standard. You complain what Disney has marketed, and then point at things done by others as evidence. That's non-sense.

When they actually go to release and market the product - all those things will be addressed.

It's not like this is going to be the headliner shoved down the throat of every person considering WDW... this is a specialized offer.

Do people take DVC as 'bad news' when all their assumptions about what it is are corrected when they actually get into the details?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom