News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

nickys

Premium Member
Because - It's not a thing yet? And it's only been teased in fan circles? Why should the general public know about something that isn't actually marketed or sold yet?

By Disney? No it hasn't - this has been debunked multiple times. Just because some sloppy bloggers and reporters use it doesn't make it standard. You complain what Disney has marketed, and then point at things done by others as evidence. That's non-sense.

When they actually go to release and market the product - all those things will be addressed.

It's not like this is going to be the headliner shoved down the throat of every person considering WDW... this is a specialized offer.

Do people take DVC as 'bad news' when all their assumptions about what it is are corrected when they actually get into the details?
Agreed 100%.

Although on that last one, there are a few people on here who will ram that opinion down everyone’s throats who cares to listen, despite being DVC owners in some cases. But that’s another story!

techgeek

See, this underscores what several of us around here have been saying since they announced the Starcruiser experience—the general public does not know what this thing is supposed to be.

You’re not alone—“Star Wars Hotel” has been used from the beginning, and they’re going to have a very difficult time adjusting public perception and expectations.

Because they haven’t been proactive in explaining, every new detail that comes out about it will be received as bad news:
  • The price makes sense for a cruise/role-playing experience, but not for a “hotel.”
  • The rooms are realistic for a space cruise, but not for a resort.
  • ”The won’t let you leave“ sounds strict.
  • “No pool?” “No transportation to Epcot?” etc. are reasonable questions for a hotel.
By the time they get around to releasing video on social media or that ABC special sneak peek, it will be too late.

Star Wars fans will provide plenty of demand, but the bigger picture is Disney’s missing a huge opportunity to create demand for the next immersive fan experience they build. TONS of people who are NOT Star Wars fans could be hearing about this and saying, “Nah, this isn’t for me. But if they do a _________ (Pirates/Western/Haunted Mansion) version, sign me up!”

More and more this feels like a DisneyQuest all over again - vastly differing general public expectations vs marketing vs price point vs reality.

DQ was originally perceived by the press and most of the public as a ‘one day local Disney indoor theme park experience’. The reality of it being a very nice VR arcade to kill a few hours didn’t meet that expectation, and never aligned with the price point the company wanted out of it.

Here we go again... the press and public think this is a ‘Star Wars cruise’ (at best) or a long awaited SW themed hotel (which it definitely is not, but that’s the only thing 50 years of WDW vacationing public know how to relate to). Instead, the reality is it’s a extended LARP on a scale that no one is quite sure is even going to be practical or sustainable... let alone marketable at the price point the company wants.

Because - It's not a thing yet? And it's only been teased in fan circles? Why should the general public know about something that isn't actually marketed or sold yet?

The idea of a ‘Star Wars themed hotel’ has been in the collective hearts and minds of the SW fan base for years. Like the ‘Star Wars theme park / land’ that took decades to become reality, most people simply can’t fathom why something so obvious doesn’t already exist. But again, the ‘obvious’ thing to most is that a themed hotel would function like every other themed hotel ever created.

I hope I’m wrong and this is a run away success that redefines themed experiences... but I can all to easily see it being forced to devolve into what the people ‘really want’ instead of what creative and financial intent here is.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The idea of a ‘Star Wars themed hotel’ has been in the collective hearts and minds of the SW fan base for years. Like the ‘Star Wars theme park / land’ that took decades to become reality, most people simply can’t fathom why something so obvious doesn’t already exist. But again, the ‘obvious’ thing to most is that a themed hotel would function like every other themed hotel ever created.

Well Disney should be pretty safe - because they aren't pushing it as a themed hotel... just like people who end up on a cruise ship aren't mislead into thinking it's a hotel themed to water.

Incomudro

Well Disney should be pretty safe - because they aren't pushing it as a themed hotel... just like people who end up on a cruise ship aren't mislead into thinking it's a hotel themed to water.
Agreed on the Disney part.
Cruise ships are however - themed hotels on water - even if they are not marketed that way.

SWGalaxys_Edge

Forgive me if this was posted - New permit filed for Parking sign installation

1621613997617.png

GimpYancIent

More and more this feels like a DisneyQuest all over again - vastly differing general public expectations vs marketing vs price point vs reality.

DQ was originally perceived by the press and most of the public as a ‘one day local Disney indoor theme park experience’. The reality of it being a very nice VR arcade to kill a few hours didn’t meet that expectation, and never aligned with the price point the company wanted out of it.

Here we go again... the press and public think this is a ‘Star Wars cruise’ (at best) or a long awaited SW themed hotel (which it definitely is not, but that’s the only thing 50 years of WDW vacationing public know how to relate to). Instead, the reality is it’s a extended LARP on a scale that no one is quite sure is even going to be practical or sustainable... let alone marketable at the price point the company wants.

I hope I’m wrong and this is a run away success that redefines themed experiences... but I can all to easily see it being forced to devolve into what the people ‘really want’ instead of what creative and financial intent here is.
Actually if an actual Star Wars Themed Hotel (not an experience), with an awesome pool of course, were to be built it would prove to be very popular.

mergatroid

By Disney? No it hasn't - this has been debunked multiple times. Just because some sloppy bloggers and reporters use it doesn't make it standard. You complain what Disney has marketed, and then point at things done by others as evidence. That's non-sense.

When they actually go to release and market the product - all those things will be addressed.

It's not like this is going to be the headliner shoved down the throat of every person considering WDW... this is a specialized offer.

Do people take DVC as 'bad news' when all their assumptions about what it is are corrected when they actually get into the details?
I agree.

I doubt many people are even aware there's a Star Wars Hotel being built. When they do market it they'll explain upfront exactly what it involves, Disney can't be responsible for what people guess it involves before they've even started officially marketing it.

It's not something we'd ever do, unless we won the lottery. And when it is ready and advertised, surely the price is going to make those who think they're interested investigate fully what it entails. Some won't like what it offers, I suppose they'll just skip it if they don't like it?

Touchdown

I agree.

I doubt many people are even aware there's a Star Wars Hotel being built. When they do market it they'll explain upfront exactly what it involves, Disney can't be responsible for what people guess it involves before they've even started officially marketing it.

It's not something we'd ever do, unless we won the lottery. And when it is ready and advertised, surely the price is going to make those who think they're interested investigate fully what it entails. Some won't like what it offers, I suppose they'll just skip it if they don't like it?

If I won the lottery I’d buy a vacation home at Golden Oak and enjoy my C33 card and the VIP tours that come with it. Not go LARPing at a SW hotel.

_caleb

You don't honestly think a business doesn't promote something before it's available to the general public? Disney started "marketing" the Starcruiser when they surveyed guests about interest in a "Star Wars hotel" back in 2017. They even showed concept art and explained the role-playing aspects of the experience. And then they broke ground on the Starcruiser and trickled out information about it over the last couple years. This has been "a thing" for a four years now.
Nonsense? You think Disney hasn't ever been burned before by not getting ahead of rumors to influence how the vloggers talk about stuff? The chatter among fans is the best advertising tool Disney has, and they've done little to shape it. Obviously they will go all out in advertising when the thing opens, but because Disney hasn't been proactive in talking about it, they will be starting with a public that isn't just uninformed, but misinformed.
Right. Of course these things will be addressed when the thing opens. But now they'll have to compete with all the misperceptions (which we've seen mentioned again and again here in this thread). Just watch, the press release will have to go out of its way to explicitly say, "it's not a hotel!" And just like "Nahtazu," it's always bad PR when you have to try to clarify what your new thing isn't.
You think Disney wants to keep this a secret? Even from the kinds of fans who hang out on Disney and Star Wars forums?
Some do. What percentage of people initially react positively to the idea of DVC only to walk away when they realize all the restrictions/details? I'd bet it's fairly high.

ETA: Seriously, do a google search about the Starcruiser. Every page that mentions it uses the word “hotel.” Even the Wikipedia page does! Believe me, I get frustrated with people who keep asking why there isn’t a pool, but at this point, it’s Disney’s fault people are asking that.

Last edited:

_caleb

Actually if an actual Star Wars Themed Hotel (not an experience), with an awesome pool of course, were to be built it would prove to be very popular.
I believe you've said this a few times around here now. Serious question: what would a "Star Wars themed hotel" be, in your opinion? I'm assuming you're not thinking AoA-style statues in the courtyard of a budget hotel. Are you thinking just bigger, with a pool, and not trying to pass itself off as a cruise?

GimpYancIent

I believe you've said this a few times around here now. Serious question: what would a "Star Wars themed hotel" be, in your opinion? I'm assuming you're not thinking AoA-style statues in the courtyard of a budget hotel. Are you thinking just bigger, with a pool, and not trying to pass itself off as a cruise?
I am thinking a space port motif (yes! not unlike Batuu) just not a "Land" but an actual hotel w dining accommodations and pool. The architectural style down to the room designs will follow the established Star Wars space port designs. Of course the souvenir /merch store will feature Star Wars. There are many structure design concepts developed for Batuu that can be used as a basis for building designs for an actual hotel. All the amenities of an earthly hotel but with a space port design for the average Disney guest that wants a Star Wars ambiance then if you want to go full on immerse yourself deeper there is always booking a cruise on the Star Cruiser.

_caleb

I am thinking a space port motif (yes! not unlike Batuu) just not a "Land" but an actual hotel w dining accommodations and pool. The architectural style down to the room designs will follow the established Star Wars space port designs. Of course the souvenir /merch store will feature Star Wars. There are many structure design concepts developed for Batuu that can be used as a basis for building designs for an actual hotel. All the amenities of an earthly hotel but with a space port design for the average Disney guest that wants a Star Wars ambiance then if you want to go full on immerse yourself deeper there is always booking a cruise on the Star Cruiser.
Thanks for explaining. I think something like this would be cool.

It seems to me that the immersive Starcruiser experience approach is actually less risky than what you describe. In a lot of ways, the role-playing gimmick is going to make up for the fact that there really isn’t much to the Starcruiser building itself.

I have no doubt Disney could build a really great Star Wars resort environment. It seems like it would be the mundane things—chairs, tables, door locks, faucets, and toilets–that would be very costly to make starwarsy and of uniform quality on the scale of a proper resort.

Like I’ve said before, I believe Disney is testing the waters of this sort of boutique immersive environments for fandoms. Eventually, I think they’ll do something like this for other IPs. Maybe the right approach is less immersive/role-play and more just “themed hotel” like you‘re saying.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You don't honestly think a business doesn't promote something before it's available to the general public? Disney started "marketing" the Starcruiser when they surveyed guests about interest in a "Star Wars hotel" back in 2017. They even showed concept art and explained the role-playing aspects of the experience. And then they broke ground on the Starcruiser and trickled out information about it over the last couple years. This has been "a thing" for a four years now.

Doing market research and focus groups is not 'marketing' the product. The majority of people only knew about it because those surveyed shared what they were shown. That is not Disney doing marketing.

The stuff they have been trickling out has been largely 'coming soon' and teaser kind of stuff TO THEIR FAN BASE. The amount of material Disney has actually put out there could fit on 3 pages. Again.. the machine has not started yet.

Nonsense? You think Disney hasn't ever been burned before by not getting ahead of rumors to influence how the vloggers talk about stuff? The chatter among fans is the best advertising tool Disney has, and they've done little to shape it. Obviously they will go all out in advertising when the thing opens, but because Disney hasn't been proactive in talking about it, they will be starting with a public that isn't just uninformed, but misinformed.

In the absence of info people will always create their own. The only way Disney could counter this effect would be to actually release all the details - which they aren't doing yet. You're blaming Disney for failing to stop the rumors and speculation. There is no Disney controls that.

You want Disney to run around and force people to run corrections when they say Hotel? Get real. Disney has been rock steady in their messaging around this product - they can't stop the lazy internet people from screwing it up. When Disney goes live, all this other crap will disappear, so it's worrying about stuff that will fix itself.

People that have wrong assumptions will be quickly corrected when the real stuff comes around.

Right. Of course these things will be addressed when the thing opens. But now they'll have to compete with all the misperceptions (which we've seen mentioned again and again here in this thread). Just watch, the press release will have to go out of its way to explicitly say, "it's not a hotel!" And just like "Nahtazu," it's always bad PR when you have to try to clarify what your new thing isn't.

Nope - not how it works. You correct the message by pumping YOUR message and drowning out the wrong stuff. Every one of those people who are publishing crap today will publish NEW stuff with the correct messaging when Disney pushes it out. The old stuff will get pushed aside.

Disney doesn't have to compete with all the misconceptions at all right now because 'now' doesn't actually matter. People have short memories especially when they've got nothing committed.

You think Disney wants to keep this a secret? Even from the kinds of fans who hang out on Disney and Star Wars forums?

This is a limited offer product aimed at a very narrow portion of the market. You don't try to market it to everyone everywhere because 1) its wasteful
2) it sets yourself up for failure if you oversell and create customer grief when no one can actually get the product

Disney has tons of offerings - Disney can't put everyone on the landing page of every page people hit. It won't be the thing waving in front of people's faces everywhere they go.

It's not about 'keeping it a secret' -- It's about focus and targeting.

Some do. What percentage of people initially react positively to the idea of DVC only to walk away when they realize all the restrictions/details? I'd bet it's fairly high.

The point is they don't see it as "bad news" and no one runs around trying to tear down Disney's releases simply because they thought wrong. They get educated, they decide the product isn't for them, they may face disappointment, but then they move on. You don't see scores of news articles about how Disney set people up for failure because they didn't correct the rumor sites about DVC news.

All the 'sky is falling' stuff you bring up will quickly come to pass when the real details are out. And people will be complaining about
- The price
- How they can't get in
- How it doesn't fit their family
- The features

They aren't going to be complaining they showed up and it wasn't the Star Wars Holiday Inn they thought it would be. Disney isn't going to let that happen.

_caleb

Doing market research and focus groups is not 'marketing' the product. The majority of people only knew about it because those surveyed shared what they were shown. That is not Disney doing marketing.

The stuff they have been trickling out has been largely 'coming soon' and teaser kind of stuff TO THEIR FAN BASE. The amount of material Disney has actually put out there could fit on 3 pages. Again.. the machine has not started yet.

In the absence of info people will always create their own. The only way Disney could counter this effect would be to actually release all the details - which they aren't doing yet. You're blaming Disney for failing to stop the rumors and speculation. There is no Disney controls that.

You want Disney to run around and force people to run corrections when they say Hotel? Get real. Disney has been rock steady in their messaging around this product - they can't stop the lazy internet people from screwing it up. When Disney goes live, all this other crap will disappear, so it's worrying about stuff that will fix itself.

People that have wrong assumptions will be quickly corrected when the real stuff comes around.

Nope - not how it works. You correct the message by pumping YOUR message and drowning out the wrong stuff. Every one of those people who are publishing crap today will publish NEW stuff with the correct messaging when Disney pushes it out. The old stuff will get pushed aside.

Disney doesn't have to compete with all the misconceptions at all right now because 'now' doesn't actually matter. People have short memories especially when they've got nothing committed.

This is a limited offer product aimed at a very narrow portion of the market. You don't try to market it to everyone everywhere because 1) its wasteful
2) it sets yourself up for failure if you oversell and create customer grief when no one can actually get the product

Disney has tons of offerings - Disney can't put everyone on the landing page of every page people hit. It won't be the thing waving in front of people's faces everywhere they go.

It's not about 'keeping it a secret' -- It's about focus and targeting.

The point is they don't see it as "bad news" and no one runs around trying to tear down Disney's releases simply because they thought wrong. They get educated, they decide the product isn't for them, they may face disappointment, but then they move on. You don't see scores of news articles about how Disney set people up for failure because they didn't correct the rumor sites about DVC news.

All the 'sky is falling' stuff you bring up will quickly come to pass when the real details are out. And people will be complaining about
- The price
- How they can't get in
- How it doesn't fit their family
- The features

They aren't going to be complaining they showed up and it wasn't the Star Wars Holiday Inn they thought it would be. Disney isn't going to let that happen.

Thanks for the master class on 1980’s marketing strategy!

I’m just saying that Disney is behind the curve on setting expectations for the Starcruiser. The wrong info (“it’s a hotel!” “you’re not allowed to leave!”) is spreading fast through the fandom and into the mainstream. This makes Disney’s job of marketing the experience more difficult. And it increases the likelihood of unfavorable reviews from the first wave of guests who, despite Disney’s carefully-worded official marketing material, show up expecting something totally different.

Just look at how fans on a Disney message board—many of whom are literally the target audience for this thing—are still misunderstanding what this thing is supposed to be.

And if the Starcruiser isn’t the big hit Disney is hoping for, I think it will have negative impact on Disney’s investment in this, SW:GE, and any other immersive experiences they might have planned.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I’m just saying that Disney is behind the curve on setting expectations for the Starcruiser. The wrong info (“it’s a hotel!” “you’re not allowed to leave!”) is spreading fast through the fandom and into the mainstream. This makes Disney’s job of marketing the experience more difficult. And it increases the likelihood of unfavorable reviews from the first wave of guests who, despite Disney’s carefully-worded official marketing material, show up expecting something totally different.

This is a low volume product. Have you considered Disney may not even let people book this experience without going through a live agent? Where all this managing of expectations can be controlled?

The last thing Disney wants is whales showing up after dropping 5k and complaining they want their money back. Disney will be motivated to ensure booking guests know this isn't just their hotel for their WDW trip. The fact people keep stumbling in here repeating this just shows their personal lack of effort.

The wrong info (“it’s a hotel!” “you’re not allowed to leave!”) is spreading fast through the fandom and into the mainstream. This makes Disney’s job of marketing the experience more difficult

Just look at how fans on a Disney message board—many of whom are literally the target audience for this thing—are still misunderstanding what this thing is supposed to be.

You mean like you can find people on these same sites that don't even know the basics like operating hours, or what FP is, or can't figure out when an attraction is down for rehab, or get upset that a bus doesn't show up on demand? Does Disney have problems with people publishing bad info on these topics and Disney is at fault for not correcting them there either?? No right?? So is it a Disney marketing problem, or is it just an indicator the person isn't doing this part to be educated?

In short.. you can't fix stupid. There are always going to be people too lazy or too selfish to get informed - so you're always going to have examples of people stumbling in to ask the obvious. It doesn't really tell you anything besides the Human race generally sucks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom