Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickp1983

To enter mask free. The honor system doesn't work
And people speed on the road. People text and drive. People do a lot of things that spits in the faces of the rules. Nothings perfect but if we really sit back and think about it... the reason most people follow the rules is because they know why the rules are there. Are people going to break them. Sure. But the vast majority won't because they understand their purpose.
If we are going to base our safety on big brother... thats a hell of a lot more scary then a virus imo

Trauma

I went to the gym yesterday. They dropped the mask mandate. Place was busy maybe saw two masked people out of many. I’m fully vaccinated I could care less if someone not wearing a mask wasn’t.

I don’t see why this is complicated. If you are worried about it go get vaccinated.

Now everyone wants to argue about people who are immunocompromised.

Sorry I know this isn’t pc to say but I didn’t hear a peep about this pre covid. The same people where still at high risk for all sorts of nastiness.

We are talking about less than 5 percent of the population.

If I was immunocompromised I would either wear a mask or not go to Disney World.

Not complicated.

Jlwise2021

YES! IT LITERALLY DOES! By orders of magnitude, it does!

The risk of cases for a 45 year old versus an 11 year old is 2x.

The risk of hospitalization for a 45 year old versus an 11 year old is 15x.

The risk of death for a 45 year old versus an 11 year old is 130x!

The people who are refusing to get vaccinated *and* refusing to wear masks have *never* worn masks. No anti-vax, anti-masker just decided to stop wearing a mask a week ago.
This is exactly what I’ve noticed. Before the new CDC guidance, I of course would wear my mask wherever required, but I would always notice folks not masking up in Walmart or Target. No one would say a word to them! Now the CDC says fully vaccinated don’t need the masks, yet some fully vaxxed are worried about who is or isn’t wearing a mask, so they will keep wearing them bc they just don’t trust the “honor system.” Folks, super anti-mask people had already stopped, some never started, wearing masks, and I think with the few major exceptions, like an airplane or something, not many people said a word to them.

The whole mask thing has really gotten to a point where we need to let everyone decide whether they want to wear it or not in most settings (obviously not hospitals or jails or nursing homes). Also, they’ve not been worried about kids spreading the virus for a while when studies kept popping up that not only are kids not at risk to get severe illness, but they aren’t even the ones passing it to the adults. Therefore, I think it’s very simple for under 12s, optional masks— per the parent’s discretion.

Jrb1979

And people speed on the road. People text and drive. People do a lot of things that spits in the faces of the rules. Nothings perfect but if we really sit back and think about it... the reason most people follow the rules is because they know why the rules are there. Are people going to break them. Sure. But the vast majority won't because they understand their purpose.
If we are going to base our safety on big brother... thats a hell of a lot more scary then a virus imo
I wish I could agree but my faith in most people since Covid is just about zero. Personally I have little respect for just about everyone. This past year I've seen the true colors of people and it's not pretty.

Nickp1983

Sorry I know this isn’t pc to say but I didn’t hear a peep about this pre covid. The same people where still at high risk for all sorts of nastiness.
I'd take it a step further. People who never seemed to care about their health before... suddenly became very defensive about their health. It's been a very interesting year.

Jrb1979

Well, you have to have hope.
And if you're out of hope... a nice bottle of bourbon will work.
I have hope in this ending and me getting back to the park I love ...... Cedar Point. As far as people go i have no hope. Some people I used to call friends I don't anymore due to their conspiracy theories.

Nickp1983

I have hope in this ending and me getting back to the park I love ...... Cedar Point. As far as people go i have no hope. Some people I used to call friends I don't anymore due to their conspiracy theories.
It's been a strange year and I could take my response in many different directions. But I will say this. Give people time. Everyone makes mistakes. Panic and fear can cause people to act irrationally. And making peace is something you do with people you don't agree with.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
YES! IT LITERALLY DOES! By orders of magnitude, it does!

The risk of cases for a 45 year old versus an 11 year old is 2x.

The risk of hospitalization for a 45 year old versus an 11 year old is 15x.

The risk of death for a 45 year old versus an 11 year old is 130x!

The people who are refusing to get vaccinated *and* refusing to wear masks have *never* worn masks. No anti-vax, anti-masker just decided to stop wearing a mask a week ago.
Hospitalization and death have literally nothing to do with it. The risk of spreading Covid is no different. I’m not having this discussion again. My point stands. People want to do what’s convenient for them same as has always been the case. Nothing new.

CaptainAmerica

Literally the posit I was replying to said it’s not fair for kids to have to wear masks if there parents don’t need to anymore so we should just drop masks for them.
You implied a causal relationship, i.e. "people don't think kids should wear masks because of the CDC guidelines that vaccinated people do not have to wear masks."

Speaking only for myself, I've never felt that children under 12 should be in masks. The CDC announcement from last week has nothing to do with it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The majority of people unvaccinated and not wearing masks now... . weren't wearing masks 4 weeks ago. I can guarantee you this was part of the cdc decision. Why punish people who have been vaccinated (and also discourage people on the fence) due to a rule the people who aren't getting vaccinated already break?
Not true at WDW or in the Walmart near me. Those unvaccinated people were all wearing masks 4 weeks ago because they had to. I am not opposed to Walmart’s decision to follow CDC guidelines and also to not want to be in the business of policing vaccination status. They did the right thing and said only fully vaccinated people can come into our stores without a mask. Maybe people lie, maybe people don’t. At least they bothered to try.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You implied a causal relationship, i.e. "people don't think kids should wear masks because of the CDC guidelines that vaccinated people do not have to wear masks."

Speaking only for myself, I've never felt that children under 12 should be in masks. The CDC announcement from last week has nothing to do with it.
Literally the other poster said it’s not fair to make kids wear masks now that their parents don’t need to. How much more causal can you get ;). Yes there have been anti-mask people from the start and that didn’t change.

correcaminos

I went to the gym yesterday. They dropped the mask mandate. Place was busy maybe saw two masked people out of many. I’m fully vaccinated I could care less if someone not wearing a mask wasn’t.

I don’t see why this is complicated. If you are worried about it go get vaccinated.

We are talking about less than 5 percent of the population.

If I was immunocompromised I would either wear a mask or not go to Disney World.

Not complicated.
We aren't close enough to vaccinating enough people to not care about immune compromised people. Not yet. Maybe you didn't hear about it, but I lived it with my aunt who passed away last year. I also do with a cousin with cancer and now with my MIL. They are at higher risk but our numbers are not near where they were before you didn't hear about them.

I'm honestly tired of excuses for not vaccinating at this point. If you choose not to, IMO you can suffer restrictions for being a selfish jerk. You're vaccinated and that's great, but until more are vaccinated this actually is an issue still.

For about the 10th time, vaccination is not a singular choice - it affects all.

Nickp1983

Not true at WDW or in the Walmart near me. Those unvaccinated people were all wearing masks 4 weeks ago because they had to. I am not opposed to Walmart’s decision to follow CDC guidelines and also to not want to be in the business of policing vaccination status. They did the right thing and said only fully vaccinated people can come into our stores without a mask. Maybe people lie, maybe people don’t. At least they bothered to try.
Yes in places like WDW, people either wore them or were kicked out. But that really wasn't the case among most retailers. I'd argue theme parks are their own world mostly because it's not a need. You don't need to go to Disney. You do need to go the grocery store. Disney has security and is basically their own country. Its not the same at Publix. Yes, they would force their employees to wear them but I found most of the time they didn't push too hard at people who ignored the rule. Disney had the ability to enforce it due to many reasons. Target wasn't going to have 16 year old stock boys chase down people.

And the honor system isn't a thing at Disney anyways. So they arw still operating on the blanket mask policy, only slightly looser outside.

The point still remains. In places where rhe honor system is the current case... the people who are lying and not wearing masks... probably weren't wearing them before

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We aren't close enough to vaccinating enough people to not care about immune compromised people. Not yet. Maybe you didn't hear about it, but I lived it with my aunt who passed away last year. I also do with a cousin with cancer and now with my MIL. They are at higher risk but our numbers are not near where they were before you didn't hear about them.

I'm honestly tired of excuses for not vaccinating at this point. If you choose not to, IMO you can suffer restrictions for being a selfish jerk. You're vaccinated and that's great, but until more are vaccinated this actually is an issue still.

For about the 10th time, vaccination is not a singular choice - it affects all.
It’s also time that the people who are vaccinated turn their attention to the people who aren’t. Lots of blame and anger for the CDC acting too slowly or OC not dropping masks quickly enough or private businesses keeping restrictions. The anger and the blame should be directed at the people who aren’t vaccinated. We have enough vaccine doses that if everyone who is eligible took one cases would have already flat lined and all restrictions for everyone would have already been gone. Anyone who wants things to move faster should be fiercely advocating for everyone to get the vaccine instead we get a lot of excuses and arguments against restrictions from people who then claim to be vaccinated. There is nobody to blame but those who haven’t gone yet.

On a positive note, cases are looking good and the vaccine rollout moves forward. We will get there eventually. The time is coming soon where all restrictions can be dropped for everyone. Cases will be low enough and vaccine percentage high enough that kids under 12 or immune compromised people won’t be at much risk for infection. That’s always been the goal and It’s happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom