FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNCgolf

I actually don't think it would be.. Part of the reason it works is because so many people adjust and change their FP reservation times or drop FPs they can't make all day long.

My guess is that a very small number of guests drop FP reservations they can't make (and most don't miss their FP reservations to begin with). Most people aren't going to take the time to do that because there's usually no benefit to them to go in and cancel it.

ColeTrain04

It’s hilarious to me that people are literally mad because people low how to work FP+ better than them. Yes there is walking around the park a little more sometimes, yes sometimes I have to constantly refresh. But at the end of the day I rope dropped, fast pass, pool break, back to the park for more fast pass and a couple standbys. I’m not a terrible person just because others don’t use the system to their full advantage and I do. I plan and study so that when me and my family go we get the most bang for our buck.

ColeTrain04

My guess is that a very small number of guests drop FP reservations they can't make (and most don't miss their FP reservations to begin with). Most people aren't going to take the time to do that because there's usually no benefit to them to go in and cancel it.
Maybe but plans change and I bet there’s a lot more people dropping or exchanging them for others. Also if you know when the parks release more FP during the day it helps to snag the ones you want.

MickeyLuv'r

There also weren't regular hours constantly being cut for upcharge events and parties.

Or roped off areas to charge people more so they can have a good view of fireworks.

Etc. etc.
The extra CL FP actually did- for a very short time- come with prime fireworks viewing! But then, the Poly and CR CL's already come with prime fireworks viewing. Look up images of the Poly CL lounge. It has BIG picture windows.

Alas, the only thing at obstructs the view is the newer, and even MORE expensive $1200 a night bungalows!

WDW keeps finding ways to make more $$$ tiers.

MickeyLuv'r

I don't think that's remotely true. I'm a big planner and I hate 180 day ADRs. I think the vast majority of planners hate them. It's a terrible system to have to book a meal that far in advance.

Anyways, FP+ is a different argument. It's not really about planning vs. non-planning; it's that FP+ makes the parks worse and the waits longer for the majority of guests.
Oh, I think 180 days is silly too.

But the forum arguments are very similar.

Whatever system WDW creates, some will like it some will not. no system will be 100% even for everyone, but some systems are more equal than others.

(Ooh, another quote I love, "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others." It is so deliciously relevant in 2021.)

ImperfectPixie

It's not about being hard to do; it's that it would be impossible to get 10+ FastPasses if everyone did it. It would be almost impossible to get more than 4 or 5. The longer the system is in place, the closer it will get to that point as more and more people are familiar with it.

Regardless, it's not operationally efficient for Disney which is why they're going to get rid of it.
I'm of the opinion that a vacation destination shouldn't require research of forums, blogs, and social media groups in order to fully enjoy the destination. The company providing the vacation destination should be providing all the details you need.

MickeyLuv'r

I always suspected WDW itself added FP during the day.

It is an easy way to steer people.

It isn't just the FP holder who is impacted. If 100 people suddenly get a 7pm FP for BTMRR, then EVERYONE in the standby queue will ALSO be in that queue/part of the park a little longer.

And they won't even realize it happened.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Zealot is a bit comical. Refreshing was WIDELY publicized on WDW forums, blogs, etc.

And directions for getting a 4th FP was printed RIGHT on the WDW map! It was also clearly posted on the WDW website under the part that explained what FP was and how it worked.

This is a little like the recent thread about should 180 day ADR's come back. It was the same exact arguments. Planners like 180 day ADR's. Non-planners don't. Is it hard to research WDW via the internet? Should you do research before going to WDW?

I should think most WDWMagic forum members know WDW's rules pretty well, both for FP and ADR's. But maybe that isn't the case?

Certainly refreshing required a decent phone, and not everyone can afford a good phone.

spending all day chasing fast passes on an iPhone for the slate in magic kingdom can be viewed as “comical” as well.

living life through the screen and the rest rushing by unnoticed.

to each their own.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I always suspected WDW itself added FP during the day.

It is an easy way to steer people.

It isn't just the FP holder who is impacted. If 100 people suddenly get a 7pm FP for BTMRR, then EVERYONE in the standby queue will ALSO be in that queue/part of the park a little longer.

And they won't even realize it happened.

That would not surprise me at all.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I mean, it's not that hard. I've also routinely gotten 10+ FPs in a day, on very crowded days (Presidents Day Week 2019 was my last trip and it was rated a Crowd Level 10 most of the week by Touring Plans), and I certainly did not spend hours trying to get FPs. Often I would grab my next one while I was waiting in the FP return line. Yeah, I had to refresh a bit but only for a minute or two. It wasn't rocket science nor was it very time consuming. It's also not some big secret or hacking the system, it's just using the app.

again...to each their own.

you just fingered yourself as having the phone cocked pretty much the whole day.

not everyone’s style/desire for the price.

Actually...it highlights what’s great about universal: no phones needed to do what you want with express

MickeyLuv'r

It's not about being hard to do; it's that it would be impossible to get 10+ FastPasses if everyone did it. It would be almost impossible to get more than 4 or 5. The longer the system is in place, the closer it will get to that point as more and more people are familiar with it.

Regardless, it's not operationally efficient for Disney which is why they're going to get rid of it.
It does depend what FP people are getting. Some folks are happy to have a FP for the teacups. When a queue is short, then the difference between FP and standby queue is minimal, but a FP sorta means...you won't wait a super-long time.

Just like ADR's, WDW never PROMISES any FP specifics.

WDW could easily give EVERYONE a FP for Philarmagic, and it wouldn't make any difference. Remember when WDW actually used to do that, in the days of paper FP? a Pooh FP often came with a bonus Philarmagic FP.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It does depend what FP people are getting. Some folks are happy to have a FP for the teacups. When all queues are short, then the difference between FP and standby queue is minimal.

WDW could easily give EVERYONE a FP for Philarmagic, and it wouldn't make any difference. Remember when WDW actually used to do that, in the days of paper FP? a Pooh FP often came with a bonus Philarmagic FP.

loved the bonus tickets.

loved also that fastpass was reserved for rides where lines were warranted as well.

MickeyLuv'r

spending all day chasing fast passes on an iPhone for the slate in magic kingdom can be viewed as “comical” as well.

living life through the screen and the rest rushing by unnoticed.

to each their own.
Oh, it absolutely can be absurd to spend all day refreshing.

Again, I don't want to speak for others...but I get the sense that was a little bit of of what another poster was trying to say some time ago. A bonus of no FP, is less phone time.

well...maybe.. people are rather addicted to their phones these days.

Many WDW queues are full of very intricate little details. If we don't take time to look at them, we are missing out. I have always cringed a little at folks who view the fireworks through their phone screen. And the people who watch videos of every ride before they ever enter WDW. If you've already watched every ride, why bother going?

WDW is all about adventure, discovery, and exploration. (Or at least Maelstrom USED to be about all those things...but I digress...)

UNCgolf

Again, I don't want to speak for others...but I get the sense that was a little bit of of what another poster was trying to say some time ago. A bonus of no FP, is less phone time.

Many WDW queues are full of very intricate little details. If we don't take time to look at them, we are missing out. I have always cringed a little at folks who view the fireworks through their phone screen. And the people who watch videos of every ride before they ever enter WDW. If you've already watched every ride, why bother going?

WDW is all about adventure, discovery, and exploration. (Or at least Maelstrom USED to be about all those things...but I digress...)

That's another thing -- the FP+ queues tend to skip the queues that were intricately designed/detailed and thus skip part of the experience (YMMV how much that matters, of course). I've only ever been on FoP with a FP and didn't even realize the regular queue had so much in it. The queues at EE and Kali River Rapids are as good or better than the rides themselves (for better or worse).

Even when they don't skip the regular queue entirely, they usually bypass part of it and people are generally moving through quickly and not paying attention to anything around them anyways.

ImperfectPixie

We love playing I spy or talking to other guests while we're waiting in line. We only take out our phones if the line is EXTREMELY long (like 2 hours) or if we need to look at MDE for something.

MickeyLuv'r

you just fingered yourself as having the phone cocked pretty much the whole day.

Actually...it highlights what’s great about universal: no phones needed to do what you want with express
Again it depends. Crowd levels vary, as do the quality of FP.

It didn't take all THAT long to just grab whatever FP popped up first. He already said he went during a slower time of year, and that he used all the peripheral park hours. Those are two big helps.

MickeyLuv'r

That's another thing -- the FP+ queues tend to skip the queues that were intricately designed/detailed and thus skip part of the experience (YMMV how much that matters, of course). I've only ever been on FoP with a FP and didn't even realize the regular queue had so much in it. The queues at EE and Kali River Rapids are as good or better than the rides themselves (for better or worse).

Even when they don't skip the regular queue entirely, they usually bypass part of it and people are generally moving through quickly and not paying attention to anything around them anyways.
Oh, I rode Universal's MiB many times before I ever saw the standby queue. The fun of the MiB queue is it actually TELLS riders how to earn points, but most people don't pay attention.

mikejs78

Premium Member

If you had read what I said, I said I maybe spent a couple of minutes while in line. Hardly the whole day or even the majority of my time in line.

My wife is very adverse to the idea of staring at phones all day - believe me if that's what I was doing, it wouldn't last. But out of whole day, I probably spend at most 20-30 minutes looking for FPs if you add it all up. Probably less. It works for me and my family. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, and that's fine.

Look I am not trying to argue that the system is great. It has its plusses and minuses (I prefer the MaxPass system tbh). I'm not trying to say that everyone should do it this way, or even want to. I'm just pointing out that a) it isn't that hard, and b) It can be done most times of the year, even very crowded days. (To be fair, I haven't attempted Christmas or Easter - but pretty much every other time has worked for me...).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom