Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

I knew that would ruffle feathers. I stand by what I said.
I live in MA. We've had VERY strict mask rules. Walmart has been dismal with enforcement since the get-go. Their reaction is not at all surprising.

ETA: Not sure if any remember this, but very early in the pandemic, a Walmart location here had to close because 81 employees at that one location had become infected.

Chi84

Premium Member
I don't. It makes the calls. It gets the public's response. Goes with the territory of being a governmental agency.

But my comment was mostly about Wal-Mart and similar corporations.
Businesses and employers will likely know whether their employees are vaccinated or not and can enforce mask requirements accordingly. Studies a while back showed that COVID transmission was much greater among the employees working together all day than from brief, casual contact with customers. From the start, the CDC has emphasized that COVID is primarily transmitted through prolonged contact with an infected person, which is why so much of the spread took place in family gatherings, workplaces, places of worship, etc. I think the CDC rightfully determined that its revised guidelines won't result in significant spread even if stores don't check the vaccination status of shoppers.

MrMcDuck

I live in MA. We've had VERY strict mask rules. Walmart has been dismal with enforcement since the get-go. Their reaction is not at all surprising.

ETA: Not sure if any remember this, but very early in the pandemic, a Walmart location here had to close because 81 employees at that one location had become infected.

I used to live in MA. Now live in FL. You can imagine my thoughts about this state's response to coronavirus. I'd be banned if I typed out the words I'm thinking.

ImperfectPixie

I used to live in MA. Now live in FL. You can imagine my thoughts about this state's response to coronavirus.
Overall, I've been pretty happy with Baker's handling of the situation. The one thing I wish they'd slow-walked on is getting kids back in school full-time in-person. They did it very quickly and took hybrid off the table completely.

Polkadotdress

Businesses and employers will likely know whether their employees are vaccinated or not and can enforce mask requirements accordingly.
How would they know? Employees don’t report to their company when they are vaccinated. And here in FL, the governor has made it illegal to ask.

I am vaccinated. My employer does not “formally” know, other than the casual conversations I’ve had with co-workers.

Incomudro

Yep. Going to happen everywhere now. CDC provided them the excuse they needed.
Businesses are not in the business of protecting people.
They're in the business of making money.
They only do so when and where they have to, and even there - it's to protect their bottom line.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
People do care, just it feels like many accept good enough. It's good to see some places implement goals but far too many places don't. Seeing many places dropping masks now is concerning. You still are far from getting 75% which should be the goal.
Not sure how to define the goal or what exactly is wrong with good enough. So the entire United States government and every state and local government should have a goal of 75% because you say that’s the goal? There are real world examples where numbers much less than 75% vaccinated have crushed the virus.

As far “good enough” I’m not sure why that’s a bad target. We had restrictions in place for good reason all along but the plan has always been that once the situation was “good enough” we would begin relaxing the restrictions. It was never the goal to wait until cases went to zero. It seems like maybe you are fixated on a target vaccination percentage that is unachievable right now (75% of the total population is about 90% of eligible people) as a reason to keep mitigation around indefinitely. If we adopted a 75% target it would be some time in the late Fall before enough people are eligible to reach 75% vaccinated. There’s not a good reason to wait that long. My suspicion is once Canada has enough doses they also will not wait that long to begin relaxing restrictions if the cases are way down which is likely with a high percent vaccinated.

AEfx

I agree - I'm in the North East as well, and I've been to Wal-mart maybe 3 times since this began, only when I absolutely had to. They are gross to begin with. With this? Just letting anyone in walking around without a mask on the "honor system"? HA. Won't be setting foot there. Target still wants my business though, so that's fine. ;)

CosmicRays

I agree - I'm in the North East as well, and I've been to Wal-mart maybe 3 times since this began, only when I absolutely had to. They are gross to begin with. With this? Just letting anyone in walking around without a mask on the "honor system"? HA. Won't be setting foot there. Target still wants my business though, so that's fine. ;)
We have to remember that most people who work at Walmart do not make a living wage. So to expect them to enforce rules that will only give them grief throughout there already stress full day is a bit much. (This said as a former employee of said company).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom