News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Mr. Moderate

I've said this before and I'll repeat it again. I would be happy if for right now they finished the ground work somewhat, the canopy, and got the steam trains running again. If Disney wants to spread out the cost and not open Tron until late spring early summer 2022, so be it, but at least care enough about you customer base to get the trains running again. To me, a visit to MK isn't complete without riding the trains around the park and it adds to the overall experience. That's just my opinion.

Jrb1979

I've said this before and I'll repeat it again. I would be happy if for right now they finished the ground work somewhat, the canopy, and got the steam trains running again. If Disney wants to spread out the cost and not open Tron until late spring early summer 2022, so be it, but at least care enough about you customer base to get the trains running again. To me, a visit to MK isn't complete without riding the trains around the park and it adds to the overall experience. That's just my opinion.
That's not happening til Tron is done.

Mr. Moderate

That's not happening til Tron is done.
I figured as much and you're most likely right, but I was hoping for more. I give Universal credit for building that beautifully themed, exciting coaster in IOA, staying on point, and not using the pandemic as a way to halt construction and spread out the costs for future budgets. My two sons are looking forward to riding the VelociCoaster multiple times on our October trip, more than they are going to MK.

lazyboy97o

I figured as much and you're most likely right, but I was hoping for more. I give Universal credit for building that beautifully themed, exciting coaster in IOA, staying on point, and not using the pandemic as a way to halt construction and spread out the costs for future budgets. My two sons are looking forward to riding the VelociCoaster multiple times on our October trip, more than they are going to MK.
Does one coaster that had no good way to protect really make up for decimating Universal Creative, delaying not just Epic Universe but other projects that were being developed?

lunchbox1175

I guess I’m in the minority here by saying that not only do I welcome Tron I would love if the powers that be, would put some great dark rides in Magic Kingdom as I feel it’s lacking. I would love to have two dark rides based on what I’ve seen in the Tokyo Disneyland resort. Monsters Inc. and Pooh’s Hunny hut ride I think would make great additions to MK. Please just get rid of stitches great escape and Monsters, Inc. laugh house floor
aw....come on why the hate for M.I.L.F? I quite enjoy that as a spot to get out of the heat and relax for a few.

EricsBiscuit

The theory that Disney is “spreading out the costs” is nonsense. Capex is amortized or depreciated. It wouldn’t all show up as an expense in one quarter. If they spend $100 million on a tractor in one quarter. The cost is spread over the life of the tractor. Same for every other capital expenditure. They’re simply incompetent. No other explanation. This thing should have soft opened by now. The Velocicoaster, which I just rode, puts Disney to shame with each dispatch.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The theory that Disney is “spreading out the costs” is nonsense. Capex is amortized or depreciated. It wouldn’t all show up as an expense in one quarter. If they spend $100 million on a tractor in one quarter. The cost is spread over the life of the tractor. Same for every other capital expenditure. They’re simply incompetent. No other explanation. This thing should have soft opened by now. The Velocicoaster, which I just rode, puts Disney to shame with each dispatch.
You make me sound like an optimist! 😂

jt04

Uni doesn't have anything in the near term to respond at the openings of Rat, Guardians, and TRON.
(Mouse playing chess)

Though Epic Universe will in the very long term be a real challenge for twdc. IMO.

MiddKid

Far from nonsense. Two very real financial impacts happening here.

Cash Flow management is first. Cash is King. While the P&L impact is depreciated as you point out, the cash flow is short term...gotta pay for the materials and contractors. Delaying the build delays the impact to the cash flow statement. In a COVID situation where inbound cash is pinched, controlling the outflows matters. In fact, in terms of capital planning, targets are set for the divisions in context of yearly capital outlays...not the subsequent depreciation hit to the P&L.

Secondly, pushing out opening also pushes out the P&L impact of said depreciation along with all other associated pre-opening costs that have been parked in pre-paids awaiting the opening date. If the park is at 30% capacity today, you certainly don't want year one of Tron (and Guardians and Rat and...) depreciation weighing down your P&L.

Since you brought up Velocicoaster, by your theory Universal should be chugging away on Epic Universe construction since it's depreciated. Keep building it! You won't see it hit until 2025! Nope, that's not how cash works. And it's why that construction site is a ghost town.

So incompetence it is not. It's corporate financial management and it's what you need to do when you are managing a company with a $300B+ market cap. We may not always like the in-park impact (and it may not need to go as deep) but it's reality.

Mr. Moderate

I’d like to think that we all can agree when this pandemic is behind us, the parks are at pre pandemic levels, and improvements are being done, it will be better for everyone who frequents the theme parks. Especially when Epic Adventure is completed and hopefully it will raise the bar and Disney responds. One can dream, right? I have to say I appreciate some of this conversation here on this thread and it was educational. Thank you for the read.

Little Green Men

Maybe but If something like RnRc is hard for me to handle, I doubt I could ever ride Velocicoaster

dreday3

Maybe but If something like RnRc is hard for me to handle, I doubt I could ever ride Velocicoaster

Yeah. I like coasters, but coasters are kind of all the same to me, so I don't really put one up over the other. Except wooden coasters. I will always take a wooden coaster over any other coaster.

Tron lights up. And I am a huge original Tron fan. So points for that. 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom