Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamusAranX

And they'll use that position to point out other things that the government has told people was safe in the past (the air around ground zero after 9/11 is a common one that I see) that have turned out to be not safe, or were even outright lies.
Not to mention for some people in this and other countries, who were experimented on the government in the past because of their race, social standing, and so on. They have every right to fear. Not saying they shouldn’t get the vaccine , but it’s times like these you listen and explain, not beat them over the head or shriek and point to call them labels.

Chomama

Not to mention for some people in this and other countries, who were experimented on the government in the past because of their race, social standing, and so on. They have every right to fear. Not saying they shouldn’t get the vaccine , but it’s times like these you listen and explain, not beat them over the head or shriek and point to call them labels.
Agreed. My personal frustration is people outside of these categories with whom I have personal relationship

disneygeek90

Don’t worry about the 3ft rule in WDW y’all. It’s already here because somehow the markers are confusing to everyone, or they just don’t care. Pics taken approx 3 mins ago. I don’t really care anymore it’s just confusing how stupid people are that they can’t be bothered to follow the most basic guideline.
FB288E8C-7B2E-49A5-9762-375CF74DE032.jpeg

45AEEB9A-7DFC-4D04-AF32-D00396E1C914.jpeg

lazyboy97o

Not for normal people. It’s easy for their mind to say “well of course I’ll take a polio vaccine” or “of course I will take the MMR, I got it twenty five years ago as a child and will have my kids take it”.

but they see a “new” vaccine and naturally get anxious. It’s a human thing. Doesn’t mean they’re correct (as we know mRNA has been under research for ten plus years). But it’s a natural worry that can be overcome with patient understanding, not the condescending assumptions you make
It is for normal people because of the growth and proliferation of the anti-vaccine movement combined with the idea that we should respect all “opinions”.

sullyinMT

Not for normal people. It’s easy for their mind to say “well of course I’ll take a polio vaccine” or “of course I will take the MMR, I got it twenty five years ago as a child and will have my kids take it”.

but they see a “new” vaccine and naturally get anxious. It’s a human thing. Doesn’t mean they’re correct (as we know mRNA has been under research for ten plus years). But it’s a natural worry that can be overcome with patient understanding, not the condescending assumptions you make
You're right, and the best way out of what you're describing is conversations and workshops tailored locally. Supposedly the White House is working on this, though it should have started much sooner. Talking to our friends and being annoying when out and about and asking your cashier/server/gym attendant if they've taken advantage of vaccination and sparking thought.

On the macro, though, it is difficult to see 252M administered vaccines in the US, see what continues to be a spiraling India situation, and hear someone say "It's too new, and besides, COVID has like a 98% survival rate." In my state alone, we are sitting on enough doses unused to fully vaccinate another ~10% of residents. Appointments everywhere. And that's where the frustration comes in.

Last edited:

disneygeek90

So is his comment implying that the major theme park companies will likely drop outdoor face coverings when OC hits 50% vaccinated with 1 shot. Disney still hasn’t gone down to 3 feet of distancing. I think they want to stay consistent with DLR but at some point they will not line up at all with the rest of Orlando market.
I don’t really see the connection between Orlando’s resident based vaccine numbers vs WDW’s clientele. On any given day what’s the guest % actually living in Orange County? I’d be surprised if it was over 10%.

SamusAranX

It is for normal people because of the growth and proliferation of the anti-vaccine movement combined with the idea that we should respect all “opinions”.
No it’s not. You’re asking the human condition to reject hundreds of years of the trademark fear for many: fear of the unknown. Not everyone has been exposed to anti vaccine info out there. I’m sure back in the 1950s many might have been hesitant to accept the “new” polio vaccine. I was nervous myself to accept the vaccine as it was for emergency use and understood that this vaccine type was relatively new; and even heard and saw some ridicule for letting the government “experiment” on me. but I did the research and understood that SARS kicked this off, along with other viruses, so it’s not as “new” as it appears. I could have given into my into nervousness and said no, I am young and will be ok since I am low risk. But I took the leap. If someone like you came along and just labeled me anti-vax it may have dug my heels in.

Honestly. You’re coming across as rather arrogant and insular at this point.

sullyinMT

I don’t really see the connection between Orlando’s resident based vaccine numbers vs WDW’s clientele. On any given day what’s the guest % actually living in Orange County? I’d be surprised if it was over 10%.
Yes, but what happens in WDW "goes home" to OC. People staying and eating offsite. And, of course, living in the county. Demings' charge is to protect them more than the guest from Wherever, USA. So, while national numbers are above his target for removing outdoor masks, residents of the county he leads still have a bit to go.

It's been nice to see by watching the graphic that since the announcement last week, people are seemingly getting out to get their shot.

disneygeek90

Yes, but what happens in WDW "goes home" to OC. People staying and eating offsite. And, of course, living in the county. Demings' charge is to protect them more than the guest from Wherever, USA. So, while national numbers are above his target for removing outdoor masks, residents of the county he leads still have a bit to go.

It's been nice to see by watching the graphic

It's been nice to see by watching the graphic that since the announcement last week, people are seemingly getting out to get their shot.that since the announcement last week, people are seemingly getting out to get their shot.
I get your point, but WDW isn’t going to want to take the “our cast members and locals are at least half vaccinated so let’s just get rid of the masks for everyone” look. Imo it’s gotta be more gradual and more in line with state and country numbers as a whole instead of one county in Florida.

sullyinMT

I get your point, but WDW isn’t going to want to take the “our cast members and locals are at least half vaccinated so let’s just get rid of the masks for everyone” look. Imo it’s gotta be more gradual and more in line with state and country numbers as a whole instead of one county in Florida.
I misunderstood. Yes, because of WDW's situation as a tourist destination for a much more broad clientele, they definitely need to strike a balance between what is going on in their own backyard with the national (and eventually again, world) picture.

Jlwise2021

It's been nice to see by watching the graphic that since the announcement last week, people are seemingly getting out to get their shot.
Did the Mayor mention when he thought the county would reach 50%? I know it’s at 46.17% now, which seems close. We arrive on May 30th and really would like masks outdoors to be optional at that point. Thanks in advance!

lazyboy97o

No it’s not. You’re asking the human condition to reject hundreds of years of the trademark fear for many: fear of the unknown. Not everyone has been exposed to anti vaccine info out there. I’m sure back in the 1950s many might have been hesitant to accept the “new” polio vaccine. I was nervous myself to accept the vaccine as it was for emergency use and understood that this vaccine type was relatively new; and even heard and saw some ridicule for letting the government “experiment” on me. but I did the research and understood that SARS kicked this off, along with other viruses, so it’s not as “new” as it appears. I could have given into my into nervousness and said no, I am young and will be ok since I am low risk. But I took the leap. If someone like you came along and just labeled me anti-vax it may have dug my heels in.

Honestly. You’re coming across as rather arrogant and insular at this point.
Past vaccines saw people rush to them because they experienced the devastating effects of disease. For something like polio the promise of no longer closing schools and business as kids were relegated to iron lungs was a cause for celebration. At the end of the 20th century the United States was nearing universal vaccination. 2019 saw the most cases of measles since the disease was declared eliminated in the US in 2000. This is something that has been festering for the past 20 years and we’re seeing the depth of its impact. These “simple questions” and “concerns” have been seeded in popular culture and they have an origin that should not be protected, it should be called out for the horrible, destructive garbage that it is.

Tom P.

The one thing from over a year of this thread that astounds me more than anything is just how many people here think they are so, so much smarter than the average, ignorant American and look down their noses at their fellow citizens. The amount of arrogant elitism in this one thread on a Disney forum is just astonishing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Great point. I would also add that it's simply wrong to vilify the hesitant group. It's hard to trust anything anyone says these days, and a lot of folks are just too busy to look into this stuff for themselves.

you’re talking about a segment that crosses over heavily with subsets that are advocating disproven, documented lies in other areas, Bill.

“hate” is not good...but severe criticism and public pushback against those segments is actually the right call.

the truth must have its day...In all things...or we’ll blow up this space rock and vaccines will “go to waste”

SamusAranX

Past vaccines saw people rush to them because they experienced the devastating effects of disease. For something like polio the promise of no longer closing schools and business as kids were relegated to iron lungs was a cause for celebration. At the end of the 20th century the United States was nearing universal vaccination. 2019 saw the most cases of measles since the disease was declared eliminated in the US in 2000. This is something that has been festering for the past 20 years and we’re seeing the depth of its impact. These “simple questions” and “concerns” have been seeded in popular culture and they have an origin that should not be protected, it should be called out for the horrible, destructive garbage that it is.
Ok I give up. I have rightfully pointed out that many of those who haven’t taken the covid shot yet have taken all other vaccines. Yet you continue to thump your arrogant chest and hold your nose in the air. People like you are actually the dregs of the society.

Everyone who is not taking the vaccine right away are evil, should be shamed from society, and bow to your moral superiority.

lazyboy97o

Ok I give up. I have rightfully pointed out that many of those who haven’t taken the covid shot yet have taken all other vaccines. Yet you continue to thump your arrogant chest and hold your nose in the air. People like you are actually the dregs of the society.

Everyone who is not taking the vaccine right away are evil, should be shamed from society, and bow to your moral superiority.
Good job not reading.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The one thing from over a year of this thread that astounds me more than anything is just how many people here think they are so, so much smarter than the average, ignorant American and look down their noses at their fellow citizens. The amount of arrogant elitism in this one thread on a Disney forum is just astonishing.

that’s a straight political stance...which is the main reason we have a medical/public health “debate”

no offense, but that’s the former bully going “boo hoo”

it was lauded...”good to be dumb”...about 2 years ago....
So now all the “snowflakes tears” are gone.

The Revolution always comes back around...and a “movement” stops

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

you know what will work:
arms out...shut up.

I’ll go ahead and be arrogant and throw out the truth. I’ll bare the mantle. Or is it bear? 🐻🤔?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom