Haunted Mansion to Return with New Enhancements and Magic :(

DavidDL

Oh yuck that looks really, really bright. Like, brighter than HMH bright. But at least HMH keeps your attention away from the unpainted railroad walls/tunnel by putting up the advent calander and characters every year.

I really hope that looks better in person than in those twitter shots. Because either they need to darken things up or they need to re-work the walls and ceiling in that room entirely.

George Lucas on a Bench

The previously bare wall they redid looks good, but now it really looks incomplete in there with the wallpapering and such suddenly ending. I also can't see these photos very well since I'm outside in sunlight, but it seems like all the cobwebs have been removed.

DavidDL

E0AJMQSXIAAkaBI.jpg

This shot, in particular, is really, really brutal. I really hope someone used a flash to take this because the super bright walls, exposed speaker and carpet are not friends of the light. As a former HM CM, I was used to seeing stuff like this throughout the day but only because I stood there long enough and knew what to look for. But damn, for this to be in full view of day Guests. Ugh.

DLR>WDW

View attachment 552442

This shot, in particular, is really, really brutal. I really hope someone used a flash to take this because the super bright walls, exposed speaker and carpet are not friends of the light. As a former HM CM, I was used to seeing stuff like this throughout the day but only because I stood there long enough and knew what to look for. But damn, for this to be in full view of day Guests. Ugh.
I don’t believe that’s the actual lighting level, but rather a long exposure “Night Mode” shot found on many new phones.

The 1st half of this video is a more accurate depiction.

Supreme Leader

View attachment 552442

They either used flash or its an overexposed shot. I saw a video from another website showing it just as dark as before.

George Lucas on a Bench

Found a video. Not a great one, unfortunately. It looks like the ghosts in the graveyard pop more than they have for many years. The ghost fruit on the dining room table aren't working and I couldn't hear the skull that blasts out of the coffin. Still, as long as it's just some effects not working, seems no major alterations, soundtrack is still original. I'd say HM was spared by this refurb.

Stevek

Found a video. Not a great one, unfortunately. It looks like the ghosts in the graveyard pop more than they have for many years. The ghost fruit on the dining room table aren't working and I couldn't hear the skull that blasts out of the coffin. Still, as long as it's just some effects not working, seems no major alterations, soundtrack is still original. I'd say HM was spared by this refurb.

Wait, so it wasn't desecrated like some thought it would be? 🤦‍♂️

britain

View attachment 552442

I'm guessing those markers on the floor indicate parking spots for wheelchairs. I think the dividers were a wise addition.

TP2000

Wow, you are exhaustingly backwards. A human being should not have not have to lose their identity in order to be employed.

It’s a great thing people like you no longer write the rules.

I never wrote the rules for anyone. I was mainly a consultant/paid contributor in my working years. With a couple side investments.

The fact is that the Oriental Land Company has not changed it's CM appearance rules. Those Tokyo CM's still have the same standards they have always had, which were provided to them by the Walt Disney Company around 1980.

The CM photographed is not unattractive, especially her sparkling eyes. But she's already got exposed tats that are bigger than her hand, which was supposed to be the new rule. WDW management obviously isn't applying the rules it just rolled out, or is not applying them fairly to each CM.

The Tokyo CM's at Haunted Mansion are pitch perfect. The doors are also always closed behind you. They really work hard to follow the rules that Disney set forth for them back in '83. It's like a Honda factory versus a Chevrolet factory circa 1983; one had a vastly superior product that spoke for itself, and one had a junky product that was coasting on fumes and nostalgia.

There's a reason standards are important. And it's not just for looks.

Last edited:

TP2000

Is it just me, or does this look exactly the same as it always has? Maybe a bit brighter ghosts and effects as you would expect after a good refurbishment? But nothing is new, everything is all still there just as it was in 2019.

The expanded wheelchair parking lot in the loading area is not an elegant solution. But that area has been brighter than the designers intended for about 20 years. They've fiddled with it so much that it long ago lost its impact it had in 1969.

But overall? This ride looks exactly the same. Was something else supposed to happen? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

I'm glad nothing has changed with the possible exception of a couple small things including nice repaint and lighting of the cemetery mannequins, which have been nearly impossible to see well for years and didn't even resemble ghosts. They just looked like gray mannequins along the trackway.

As for this Dollhouse thing, there has been a dollhouse in the attic for years that supposedly resembles Phantom Manor. It's just another overly elaborate prop thrown into Constanceland, but I can't say I ever cared about it.

mickEblu

Original Poster
That CM looks great.

If I were to see this CM outside of Disneyland I wouldn’t think twice but how does that sleeve work at Disneyland? They go through the trouble of creating different costumes for different lands but a CM can show off their sleeve now while wearing a short sleeve shirt? How does that work on Main Street with Dapper Dans singing in the background? Tbh it’s kind of distracting. I imagine it’ll become normal at some point but it’s just another reminder of the real world when I’m at Disneyland. They keep doing this kind of stuff. Eventually we won’t feel that we escaped to a different time and place. We’ll just be in Anaheim in the mid 2020’s.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom