News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliza61nyc

The general public has been proving for the past year that they can't handle nuance. A high profile figure was just banned from Alaska airlines because she won't follow the mask rules - and she should absolutely know better.
lol you know truthfully some times I think those folks (high profile people) simply pick fights just to get their names in the news. sort of the old Joan Rivers line about even bad publicity is better than no publicity.

truthfully after a year into this game I think folks who aren't going to follow the rules are firmly set. nuance isn't important to them because they have/had no interest in following along. so now it's a matter of how a company like Disney mitigates against those folks.

I've sort of adapted a "my responsibility" chain of thinking. I do think at this point if you are thinking of going to wdw now you have to accept that 1) you will run into someone who's not going to follow cdc guidelines no matter what they are and 2) you will come into folks who are not vaccinated.

correcaminos

The general public has been proving for the past year that they can't handle nuance. A high profile figure was just banned from Alaska airlines because she won't follow the mask rules - and she should absolutely know better.
Anti maskers doing that are different breeds. They won't comply no matter the rules. They are the ones making lives miserable. This is not about nuance, it's about intentionally not following rules in that case.

I don't think @helenabear was saying she's done with covid, I think it was more of the circular argument about how to enforce the mask wearing rules and the ensuing assumptions
You are correct, I am not done. Not at all. I'm willing to continue to follow masking rules no matter what. Our zoo added the masks last summer due to other reasons, but most of the summer they did not have them outside. We wore ours more than most even outdoors. Now I understand really how hard it is to transmit outside and am good to drop if needed.

I do think people are scared more about masks and removing. It will be hard to adjust. I worry that if people feel unsafe outdoors that maybe indoor transitions will be super hard when the time comes to go back to normal (whenever it may be). As someone who deals with severe GAD, I understand how hard it can be to let go of anxieties and fears.

Dranth

People keep saying that. Was it REALLY ever a major issue? In 20+ trips and three years as a local, I genuinely don't think I've ever had anyone "breathing down my neck" in a line.

I think you may just be very lucky, or I am very unlucky, as I am constantly having people right on top of me, running into me, etc. The distancing is the one thing I wish could stay in some form. I know that isn’t possible and would be a never-ending logistical nightmare but having a bit of breathing room was a welcome change and made our last trip there so much more enjoyable.

Last edited:

Chomama

People keep saying that. Was it REALLY ever a major issue? In 20+ trips and three years as a local, I genuinely don't think I've ever had anyone "breathing down my neck" in a line.

They need to be able to open the switchbacks. The Flight of Passage line stretching out past Festival of the Lion King is stupid.

And those plexiglass dividers in the places that are already using switchbacks are extremely cramping and claustrophobic. Not to mention they look like garbage.
What? “Full in all available space”! I don’t miss that AT ALL. Six feet isn’t necessary but I don’t mind not having strangers sweaty skin brush against me! 😂

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
But there would be more available time slots for ADRs in the restaurants that are open. That would only help.

Obviously Disney needs to start opening more restaurants, but allowing more capacity at the ones that are open (and stay open later) would be a help.

Let’s say they fully open up seating at those restaurants that are currently open, and allow more people into the parks with current staffing levels. Who’s going to make the additional food orders?

You can have all the capacity in the world but without the staff to run it, it doesn’t mean anything.

Chi84

Premium Member
What in the beginning mask wearing properly was appealing to the public with carrots not sticks. Since some in the population refuse to follow direction and or make up their own direction, time to break out the sticks to send the message - protect themselves and others around them. I still like the fact that private businesses have it in your face signage before you walk through their door - No mask, No Service.
The signs in my area are much more polite - usually just "masks are required by an emergency order - but they seem to get the job done. People read the sign, and then they know they have to wear a mask inside. Until recently, almost everyone has been complying. This has been waning.

The problem with sticks, as you put it, is that our law enforcement agencies are not structured to handle the kind of widespread noncompliance with mask mandates that I believe are coming soon. I've posted this before, but in Illinois the governor at one point "re-closed" indoor dining. A lot of restaurants simply ignored the order and continued serving indoors, which was clearly wrong and immensely unfair to the restaurants that closed.

A short time later, the ban on indoor dining was removed. The governor did not have the resources or political will to get into a "shooting war" by using criminal and civil penalties to address a public health issue. I'm not saying this was right - it wasn't - but this is the kind of thing we're going to face if the CDC doesn't change its guidelines to comport with what science is now showing about where and among whom COVID is being spread.

Chi84

Premium Member
Honestly it isn't that bad. I have done it twice in WDW and it wasn't like I was use to wearing them outside because I don't . There were a few times that I would pull it down real quick for a deep breath but other than that it is doable.
You don't know how much I appreciate hearing that. Hopefully the rules will be relaxed soon for outdoors, but I don't expect it to happen in time for our trip.

psuchad

If you are walking down a path and see a snake, it is on you to do what is best for you. You not knowing whether the snake is venomous does not give you the right to berate or cause harm to the snake. Do what is best for you and keep your distance or walk the other way. Better yet, stay out of the woods.

ImperfectPixie

Honestly, I don't know how you stand to leave your house with how inferior everyone else is to you. It must be physically painful for you to have to spend your day surrounded with people who are just nowhere near as smart as you. I feel for you.
Have you never been in line at WDW and had the person behind you creep up so close that they turn around and bash you with their backpack? Or hit you with their elbow? Or step on your foot?

correcaminos

Crowds don't freak me out, but people's tendency to get too close and invade my "bubble" when it's not necessary at all really bothers me on a principles level...I find it very rude and off-putting. (And that's without a pandemic going on.)
I don't joke about my anxiety. I have issues with strangers touching me or coming up from behind. Totally cool with people I know though. I don't find it rude, it just is hard to deal with. I totally see your view though, it is really can be seen as quite rude that people don't care to stay out of the personal zones. This is why I never do fireworks in parks anymore though. Those crowds bother me totally. I'm honestly loving distance and want it to never end lol

correcaminos

Have you never been in line at WDW and had the person behind you creep up so close that they turn around and bash you with their backpack? Or hit you with their elbow? Or step on your foot?
Being short I love when the bag or elbow hits me in my face :rolleyes:

My kid is always stepping on my feet, I'm almost immune to that 😆

Parker in NYC

I don't joke about my anxiety. I have issues with strangers touching me or coming up from behind. Totally cool with people I know though. I don't find it rude, it just is hard to deal with. I totally see your view though, it is really can be seen as quite rude that people don't care to stay out of the personal zones. This is why I never do fireworks in parks anymore though. Those crowds bother me totally. I'm honestly loving distance and want it to never end lol
Before someone tells you “not to go” I’m here to tell that someone that anxiety isn’t a black and white issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom