Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

Jrb1979

Making DS a transpo hub to/from the airport is gonna murderize traffic in what is already not a great situation.
I don't think it's going to be a hub. DS is a stop along the way. I don't think many will use it to get to Disney especially when you have to carry all your luggage with you.

corran horn

It will be interesting to me how long both Casting and Team Disney stay there (overhead buildings that could arguably be put anywhere) if it does become any sort of hub.

jt04

It will be interesting to me how long both Casting and Team Disney stay there (overhead buildings that could arguably be put anywhere) if it does become any sort of hub.
This. I think the recent experiment in telecommuting and word some jobs may relocate to Orlando from the West might have Disney looking to free up some prime real estate in the LBV area. Plus the TDO building has been a bit neglected. Another sign it may no longer fit in the long term plan.

corran horn

Are you suggesting people would use Disney Springs for airport parking? Not a trick question, just wondering what your concern is.
There's a lot of speculation in this thread around people using the MCO-->DS as transport option which would then make it an intake into WDW. I imagine bus traffic to the various resorts (the tiny amount that would take boat transport isn't worth mentioning) will increase congestion in the area if that happens.

jt04

There's a lot of speculation in this thread around people using the MCO-->DS as transport option which would then make it an intake into WDW. I imagine bus traffic to the various resorts (the tiny amount that would take boat transport isn't worth mentioning) will increase congestion in the area if that happens.

It would definitely increase bus traffic but with ramps and such they should be able to handle the increase.

WDW has probably been destined to get a major transportation hub for decades. No wonder they are expanding the I-4 interchange nearby. Crossroads I think it is called.

Jrb1979

I don't think that will be the case. I don't think it will run to DS as often as people think. You will be lucky it's every hour. Too many are hooked on that DS is a stop. It's just that a stop on the way to Tampa and MCO. It's not replacing Magic Express

corran horn

That would be a shame given their unique & iconic designs, even though the impact of Casting's architecture has already been greatly diminished by Grapefruit and it's elevated walkways.
♩'pave paradise and put up a parking lot'

or more accurately

'pave paradise and put up a Banana Republic'♩

LaughingGravy

That's the crazy thing with mass transit in NJ as well. DW wanted to take 3 girl scouts in to see a show. $23.50 per person RT into NY Penn Station. There were a total of 4 scouts and one leader, so $94 and the one way was going to take an hour and 10 minutes plus subway time and cost ($22 for all 4 for those round trips) to get to their destination so $116 vs. me driving them in to the theater door and it costing 1/2 of that with gas tolls/ wear tear for two trips (one to drop them off and one to pick them up).
In the end, I just drove them in and hung out in the city for a few hours, so it cost 1/3 of the train including parking for the car. That should simply not be.

Jrb1979

That's the crazy thing with mass transit in NJ as well. DW wanted to take 3 girl scouts in to see a show. $23.50 per person RT into NY Penn Station. There were a total of 4 scouts and one leader, so $94 and the one way was going to take an hour and 10 minutes plus subway time and cost ($22 for all 4 for those round trips) to get to their destination so $116 vs. me driving them in to the theater door and it costing 1/2 of that with gas tolls/ wear tear for two trips (one to drop them off and one to pick them up).
In the end, I just drove them in and hung out in the city for a few hours, so it cost 1/3 of the train including parking for the car. That should simply not be.
Your post is another reason why I don't think many will use it to get to Disney. Price and the amount of time it will take to get there will discourage many people. I personally think it will mostly used by locals more then anything.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You created a HOV --- a High Occupancy Vehicle, which is nearly or as good as using public transportation.

Most cars going in and out of 'the city' are working commuters. Imagine, if you will, that all cars were commuters. Each car has one person.

Now, imagine if they all carpooled with 4 commuters per car. That alone reduces traffic to 25% of what it was! That's why so many hiways have HOV lanes to encourage carpooling.

Mass Transit is great for individuals who find carpooling inconvenient (starting or winding up at different destinations, differing timetables, possibility of someone having to work late, etc...).

Mass Transit often has to operate empty or near-empty vehicles, which isn't efficient.

So, carpooling ain't too bad.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
It would definitely increase bus traffic but with ramps and such they should be able to handle the increase.

WDW has probably been destined to get a major transportation hub for decades. No wonder they are expanding the I-4 interchange nearby. Crossroads I think it is called.

I think that a major transportation hub at Crossroads is a wonderful idea. I read that Disney is investing in flying pods that will transport guests to any location on-property within minutes. It will definitely ease the congestion issue that Disney is currently experiencing.

I heard that you'll be able to board the pods at the soon-to-be former Fuddruckers location - which will soon be a retention pond.

jt04

I think that a major transportation hub at Crossroads is a wonderful idea. I read that Disney is investing in flying pods that will transport guests to any location on-property within minutes. It will definitely ease the congestion issue that Disney is currently experiencing.

I heard that you'll be able to board the pods at the soon-to-be former Fuddruckers location - which will soon be a retention pond.

That isn't where the hub would go. It is already designated as an interchange for I-4 as the current one isn't sufficient. This will move surface traffic more efficiently in the area which is necessary as the area is built out.

jt04

Disney Springs is a general area. You need to look a bit North.

I think Disney (or another reliable source) has indicated something could be located near the Orange garage. And land is available there just across the road.

People are confusing the proposed I-4 Brightline stop with an on property hub. Two different animals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom