Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

jt04

Or, if one were to fly out of MCO and back on the same day, you could choose to park in a ramp at the airport and be a 5 minute walk away instead of 30 minutes away plus any transportation/traffic delays. What you propose makes absolutely zero sense. Hell, I’m still trying to figure out what exactly you mean by “across the street”. That area isn’t set up for any sort of major interchange.

There was once consideration of making the area around the Epcot monorail station a central transportation hub. And it sort of is. So something like that plan but closer to I-4 and the proposed hsr station.

PS - an offramp was already built directly off of I-4 to support Disney Springs/TDO.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
There was once consideration of making the area around the Epcot monorail station a central transportation hub. And it sort of is. So something like that plan but closer to I-4 and the proposed hsr station.

PS - an offramp was already built directly off of I-4 to support Disney Springs.

Yes, I know, I’ve been on it. An off ramp is not an interchange for a transportation hub.

nickys

Premium Member
They have already limited resort parking to non-guests. Same was true with Minnie Vans. Consider it a trend that may have further iterations. Just fun speculation.
Pardon? Yes, they have stopped people driving up to a resort without an ADR in recent times, if that’s what you mean. That’s easier given there are barriers to physically stop entry. I am 99% certain that restriction will be lifted once social distancing can be eased.

If they intended to go that route, they would have made the Skyliner pay to ride.

UNCgolf

You mean only allowing resort guests onto the buses? That’ll go down well whilst the bus driver tries to refuse entry to a family who get on anyway and refuse to leave.

It would slow down bus service considerably to have to check every single passenger to ensure they belong, and also to deal with anyone who tries to board that shouldn't. It would almost certainly be more trouble than it's worth.

I also don't think they want to make it harder for people to get to Disney Springs; they want people going there and spending money.

jt04

Pardon? Yes, they have stopped people driving up to a resort without an ADR in recent times, if that’s what you mean. That’s easier given there are barriers to physically stop entry. I am 99% certain that restriction will be lifted once social distancing can be eased.

If they intended to go that route, they would have made the Skyliner pay to ride.

I have thought about this. First, pay to play at the resorts predates the closure. Guarantee it is permanent. Too many people figured out the loophole which was not fair to guests paying top dollar for their stays (including resort fees).

Second, I would not be surprised at all if a second tier transportation system was implemented eventually. The App opens up tremendous opportunities for value added features to incentive people to book on property and stay on property. Mickey likes that.

Wouldn't at all be suprised, for instance, if someday the monorail is only available for guests staying on site or have a premium transportation pass. There was a time transportation was a separate fee. And now there are tons of alternate choices for day guests. Many being much faster to the originals.

Again, all speculation.

It would be rather easy to add gates to the monorail, skyway, and park to park or park to DS bus slots. Just scan the app on your phone or magic band.

I'd be compelled to stay on property much more with such convenience.

Lilofan

They don’t run buses from DS to the parks. Deliberately. And there are buses to and from all resorts to DS.
A savvy guest who wants to avoid parking fees can just take a bus from Springs to a resort then transfer to go to the park while parking in the free DS garage.

jt04

It would slow down bus service considerably to have to check every single passenger to ensure they belong, and also to deal with anyone who tries to board that shouldn't. It would almost certainly be more trouble than it's worth.

I also don't think they want to make it harder for people to get to Disney Springs; they want people going there and spending money.

The App changes everything potentially.

jt04

A savvy guest who wants to avoid parking fees can just take a bus from Springs to a resort then transfer to go to the park while parking in the free DS garage.

Which is why they will need to reform the system someday. Same as resort parking changed.

jt04

How? It's not any different than people having MagicBands -- which some people will continue to use instead of the app anyways.

Okay, the magic bands will change everything as they become more connected and 'smarter'.

That wasn't really my point. I was looking more at the big picture.

TrainsOfDisney

I always do that when staying at a Disney Springs hotel. It gives me an excuse to have breakfast at a resort I never stay at (Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, AKL).

Lilofan

I always do that when staying at a Disney Springs hotel. It gives me an excuse to have breakfast at a resort I never stay at (Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, AKL).
I've eaten a few years ago at Boma/ AK lodge while not staying on Disney property. I just tell the security guard at AK lodge I'm having breakfast and he waves me through.

nickys

Premium Member
Yes, it is a hub of sorts. I was clear not the blue sky version that might have been but so far isn't.
What is a hub? As in, which one?

You said the Epcot monorail station. That literally is the station at the Epcot gates. No semblance of a hub.

The TTC is kind of a hub, except no resort buses go there. For resort guests it’s the monorail interchange between the MK loop and the Epcot loop.

I have thought about this. First, pay to play at the resorts predates the closure. Guarantee it is permanent. Too many people figured out the loophole which was not fair to guests paying top dollar for their stays (including resort fees).

Second, I would not be surprised at all if a second tier transportation system was implemented eventually. The App opens up tremendous opportunities for value added features to incentive people to book on property and stay on property. Mickey likes that.

Wouldn't at all be suprised, for instance, if someday the monorail is only available for guests staying on site or have a premium transportation pass. There was a time transportation was a separate fee. And now there are tons of alternate choices for day guests. Many being much faster to the originals.

Again, all speculation.

It would be rather easy to add gates to the monorail, skyway, and park to park or park to DS bus slots. Just scan the app on your phone or magic band.

I don’t know where to start. This is pure fantasy JT.

1. Parking fees at the resorts for overnight guests is here to stay. That has literally not come up in our discussion to date and has nothing to do with the point in hand.

I assumed you were talking about the limitations to non-resort guests to park at resorts right now, without an ADR. That is not here to stay. They want guests to visit resorts.

2. If they make the monorail only for resort guests, how do people get from the TTC to MK if the ferry can’t run?

3. They are not going to stop offsite guests from getting around WDW.

In the early days of WDW, when there was only MK, you had to have a ticket to ride the monorail. That was even before your last visit.

4. I have to quote this again.

You’ve admitted before the last time you visited was when thee was only MK.

Please explain in what way you think your suggestions will “improve the convenience” of getting around? You literally have to jump on a bus, monorail, boat or skyliner. There is nothing “more convenient” about having to scan to do so and be stuck at a gate when someone is denied entry.

Last edited:

jt04

What is a hub?

You said the Epcot monorail station. That literally is the station at the Epcot gates. No semblance of a hub.

The TTC is kind of a hub, except no resort buses go there. For resort guests it’s the monorail interchange between the MK loop and the Epcot loop.

1. Parking fees at the resorts for overnight guests is here to stay. That has literally not come up in our discussion to date and has nothing to do with the point in hand.

I assumed you were talking about the limitations to non-resort guests to park at resorts right now, without an ADR. That is not here to stay. They want guests to visit resorts.

2. If they make the monorail only for resort guests, how do people get from the TTC to MK if the ferry can’t run?

In the early days of WDW, when there was only MK, you had to have a ticket to ride the monorail. That was even before your last visit.

Please explain in what way you think your suggestions will “improve the convenience” of getting around? You literally have to jump on a bus, monorail, boat or skyliner. There is nothing “more convenient” about having to scan to do so and be stuck at a gate when someone is denied entry.

Epcot has a substantial bus terminal, in addition to the monorail and ground service for a fee. WS has a Skyway and boat service to DHS.

jt04

What is a hub? As in, which one?

You said barriers would be removed once social distancing was relaxed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom