Covid Vaccine Updates and General Discussion About Vaccines

Will you take a Covid vaccine once one is approved and deemed safe and effective by the FDA?

• Yes, stick me please

• No, I will wait

• No, I will never take one

Results are only viewable after voting.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Maybe. He already runs two decently profitable online businesses so he may not. Although he has talked about opening a "brick and mortar" place of his own one day so he might. I wasn't aware colleges were forcing the issue.
"OK, son. I understand how strong peer pressure is and you want to impress your friends and you're afraid they'll dump you as a friend the first moment you show independent thinking and would rather blindly follow what their parents say rather than your own parents who love you more than their own lives. I understand, it's OK if you want to risk your life and contribute to a world-wide pandemic. We're leaving the choice totally up to you."

He wants to be an adult. He needs to learn how to deal with adult interpersonal relationships... even if that means social guilt. Welcome to adulting!

drizgirl

"OK, son. I understand how strong peer pressure is and you want to impress your friends and you're afraid they'll dump you as a friend the first moment you show independent thinking and would rather blindly follow what their parents say rather than your own parents who love you more than their own lives. I understand, it's OK if you want to risk your life and contribute to a world-wide pandemic. We're leaving the choice totally up to you."

He wants to be an adult. He needs to learn how to deal with adult interpersonal relationships... even if that means social guilt. Welcome to adulting!
The heavy handed manipulative phrasing would really turn off my kids. Objective facts seemed to do the trick for us. They are all now fully vaccinated.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The heavy handed manipulative phrasing would really turn off my kids. Objective facts seemed to do the trick for us. They are all now fully vaccinated.
Yeah, it's for when facts don't work. Swayed by only emotion? OK, then, feel the might of a fully armed and operational parental emotion beam.

And if that's the case, then there's nothing wrong with feeling bad for bad decisions. Let him live with the cognitive and emotional dissonance.

Don't make bad decisions feel comfortable.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Does that really work though? Or does it just make you feel better?
Again, it's for when objective reality fails. Over an important thing, like staying healthy (and not for trivial things like dying one's hair).

If facts don't work. Then what? You let someone fact-free off the hook? There's two choices here:

1. Bad decision, but nothing is challenging that bad decision.
2. Bad decision, but the bad decision has a price in discomfort.

You're not kicking your child out of the house or saying you don't love them. You're expressing your disappointment. If they can't handle an adult expressing their honest feelings of disappointment and honestly pointing out that they're acting out of emotion (pleasing their peer group), then, again, they're failing at being an adult. They need to learn to either change or live with that discomfort. That's life.

drizgirl

Again, it's for when objective reality fails. Over an important thing, like staying healthy (and not for trivial things like dying one's hair).

If facts don't work. Then what? You let someone fact-free off the hook? There's two choices here:

1. Bad decision, but nothing is challenging that bad decision.
2. Bad decision, but the bad decision has a price in discomfort.

You're not kicking your child out of the house or saying you don't love them. You're expressing your disappointment. If they can't handle an adult expressing their honest feelings of disappointment and honestly pointing out that they're acting out of emotion (pleasing their peer group), then, again, they're failing at being an adult. They need to learn to either change or live with that discomfort. That's life.
It's all about the tone.

correcaminos

Not terribly surprising since it is similar to the AZ vaccine, but the FDA and CDC are calling for a pause in use of the JnJ vaccine over blood clots. This is too bad as it will slow vaccine administration and increase vaccine hesitancy. JnJ is also a potential early vaccine for kids. I imagine many parents will pass on this one, now.

Is Novavax almost ready?
I think the projection was May a month ago
My wife and I both work in healthcare (she works directly on a COVID unit) and we got ours in January. Never looked back. My daughter (26) just got her first shot but my son (17) refuses to get it. Apparently his really close friends have parents that have convinced his friends that the vaccine is either a mind control device, tracking device, poison or something else nefarious. He doesn't actually believe that garbage but they are his friends and somehow they have convinced him not to get vaccinated. :banghead::banghead: His birthday is on the 4th of July and he is pretty mad that we cancelled plans for an party for his 18th birthday but I cannot have him around his grandparents and great-grandparents if he has not been vaccinated. Ultimately it is his decision but I just wish he would not be so swayed by others.
I am a mean parent and this wouldn't fly in my house especially since a seemingly very uneducated person is swaying him. Not sure the personality of your kid, but either refusing to do any family functions to flat out bribes with everything in between would be. Then again for my kid we talked long time ago and he knows I'm scheduling him the moment I am allowed to.

To me this is concerning as a parent in that tin foil ideas are that easily impressed on him. Good luck!

correcaminos

As I said before, he doesn't believe this stuff. ;)
But he's using it as an excuse not to get it. That's still being swayed - which as a parent would concern me. Not picking on you or anything, but that part gets me most. Peer pressure is soooo hard though.

Of course I'd just smack my kid upside the back of the head or use Nap Time to get him there.

that last part was a total joke of course. As a parent of a teen boy as well I totally feel for you and genuinely wish you luck!

ImperfectPixie

But he's using it as an excuse not to get it. That's still being swayed - which as a parent would concern me. Not picking on you or anything, but that part gets me most. Peer pressure is soooo hard though.

Of course I'd just smack my kid upside the back of the head or use Nap Time to get him there.

that last part was a total joke of course. As a parent of a teen boy as well I totally feel for you and genuinely wish you luck!
One of the blessings (and sometimes curses) of my older son's autism is that he doesn't give a rat's behind what people think of him if they aren't part of our family. (Which is why I sometimes resort to some pretty odd tactics, lol. Hubby still doesn't get it sometimes and will ask right in front of the boys what I'm doing as if I'm out of my mind and I have to give him the evil eye!)

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Here's what it looks like with J&J....

1618335756409.png

And without J&J...

1618336224524.png

G00fyDad

I just sat down with him and had an adult conversation with him and asked him to leave politics out of it and tell me every concern he has about the vaccine. Turns out that he is hearing a lot of issues with Moderna and the J&J vaccines so he was just scared. After talking with him about it he is going to go get the same Pfizer vaccine the rest of us got tomorrow. :)

the office television GIF

drizgirl

I just sat down with him and had an adult conversation with him and asked him to leave politics out of it and tell me every concern he has about the vaccine. Turns out that he is hearing a lot of issues with Moderna and the J&J vaccines so he was just scared. After talking with him about it he is going to go get the same Pfizer vaccine the rest of us got tomorrow. :)

Mutual respect goes a long way. Well done!

correcaminos

That makes sense. I have a soft spot for Pfizer-BioNTech, but they really did a bang up job with the vaccine. It seems to be not so bad with side effects comparatively either. Of course I'm biased totally. So glad you got through to him!

Hope his 18th party is back on too ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom