Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Chris Pratt has been cancelled about a dozen times. Granted, most of those times he was cancelled for being Christian, or not being able to attend some political rallies, so most normal people didn’t care.

You can’t play scared of things being “cancelled” because almost everything will be cancelled at some point. I don’t Disney is, and they only go with the flow when it benefits them.

I don't think Pratt has actually been cancelled. Tomorrow War will be released this summer, to say nothing of his various other upcoming projects. He's widely seen as a likable leading man. I have no problem with Pratt; I'm simply using him as an example.

Disney shouldn't be scared of their properties being cancelled, but I think it's pretty obvious they're terrified. Hence the Splash Mountain, Jungle Cruise, and Peter Pan's Flight changes. And wasn't there some behind-the-scenes panic about the Depp AAs in Pirates? This is why I find it interesting that they'd confidently put any actor front-and-center in an attraction.

mickEblu

I don't think Pratt has actually been cancelled. Tomorrow War will be released this summer, to say nothing of his various other upcoming projects. He's widely seen as a likable leading man. I have no problem with Pratt; I'm simply using him as an example.

Disney shouldn't be scared of their properties being cancelled, but I think it's pretty obvious they're terrified. Hence the Splash Mountain, Jungle Cruise, and Peter Pan's Flight changes. And wasn't there some behind-the-scenes panic about the Depp AAs in Pirates? This is why I find it interesting that they'd confidently put any actor front-and-center in an attraction.

Of course the one thing I want to get cancelled, isn’t.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I suppose it is worth noting that while Tim Allen did voice Buzz in Toy Story Midway Mania, he did not voice Buzz in Astro Blasters or Space Ranger Spin. Patrick Fraley, who Disney used as Buzz's voice whenever Tim Allen was too busy until Mike MacRae took over, did Buzz's voice for those.

Appreciate this info. When I wrote my post, I did wonder momentarily whether Allen actually voiced Buzz in Astro Blasters. I'm on IMDB now; looks like Disney got most of the cast for Midway Mania, though Jim Hanks voiced Woody. Interesting.

Brer Oswald

Again, the Splash ball is in their court. They could have shut that down quickly and easily, but they didn’t because that isn’t what they wanted to do with it.

It’s telling that Peter Pan and Jungle Cruise are staying, albeit with some modifications. They value those rides/properties.

SplashJacket

I don't think the land looks good at all. Nothing really screams Marvel even remotely to me. It's all just so generic and rather ugly, to be honest. Nothing in the land really matches. It could be any sort of generic environment. A new Google Campus, an Amazon Warehouse. It's just so...generic. It looks absolutely nothing like Marvel should. Meanwhile, in the swamps...

View attachment 547290View attachment 547291View attachment 547292View attachment 547293

Yeah! Alright!

I don't watch the Marvel films but I will say that the core essence of Comic Books are action and excitement.

A school campus doesn't do that for me at all. I think people who don't even watch Marvel movies should have a fun and exiting land. This does not provide that.

Something like Six Flags Gotham (before it got rethemed) or Island of Adventures Comic Book Land do a great job of showcasing a comic book world and the excitement that goes with it.

A college campus? What? You need a crime
filled city for the heroes and criminals
to fight together in.

The theme should be INSTANTLY recognizable. The second you have to explain the back story of how Avengers Campus relates to super heroes or how Batuu related to Star Wars, is the second you already lost the point of the source material.

We just need a city where Spiderman can beat up some thugs. Community college though? No kid wants to see that.
I'm sorry but if Super Hero Island was plopped into any Disney park throughout the world, it would be bashed as utterly abysmal.

Islands of Adventure is an exceptional park, but Superhero island is its aesthetic weak spot. It may be someone's cup of tea, but it is very very poor.

The attractions are exceptional, minus Doctor Doom, but the land's aesthetics are horrible. It has blown-up cutouts and a plastic aesthetic. If Disney copied this "good" Marvel land's style, they'd never hear the end of it.

The MCU, as a whole, lacks recognizable structures. The Dr. Strange Sanctum Sanctorum and Avengers Campus are really the only two structures that come to my mind when I think of Marvel structures.

I have no idea whether or not they included Sanctum Sanctorum in some capacity so the jury is still out on that one.

It just amazes me that cutouts and plastic facades are the golden children of theme parklands.

If Disney attracted a 20-foot cutout of spiderman to a building people would complain about the lazy design that assumes guests are stupid.

Marvel Super Hero Island is miles below Universal's current standards, I don't see how that can be praised while bashing what Disney just built in DCA. Probably just extreme cynicism towards modern Disney.

Last edited:

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Marvel Superhero Island is hella chintzy but with Hulk roaring overhead and the generic rock soundtrack blasting, the vibe is at least pretty fun. Time will tell if Avengers Campus succeeds in that category.

Animaniac93-98

Marvel Superhero Island is hella chintzy but with Hulk roaring overhead and the generic rock soundtrack blasting, the vibe is at least pretty fun. Time will tell if Avengers Campus succeeds in that category.

It also looks much better at night with the neon lighting. The city skyline effect is also more visible across the lagoon than in the land.

ToTBellHop

This didn’t need to look super comic-y. A replication of a bustling city would have been just fine and would have made more sense than the college campus concept they’ve created.
Only if there were random explosions and people running and screaming, though.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

It also looks much better at night with the neon lighting. The city skyline effect is also more visible across the lagoon than in the land.

I completely agree.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

mickEblu

I'm sorry but if Super Hero Island was plopped into any Disney park throughout the world, it would be bashed as utterly abysmal.

Islands of Adventure is an exceptional park, but Superhero island is its aesthetic weak spot. It may be someone's cup of tea, but it is very very poor.

The attractions are exceptional, minus Doctor Doom, but the land's aesthetics are horrible. It has blown-up cutouts and a plastic aesthetic. If Disney copied this "good" Marvel land's style, they'd never hear the end of it.

The MCU, as a whole, lacks recognizable structures. The Dr. Strange Sanctum Sanctorum and Avengers Campus are really the only two structures that come to my mind when I think of Marvel structures.

I have no idea whether or not they included Sanctum Sanctorum in some capacity so the jury is still out on that one.

It just amazes me that cutouts and plastic facades are the golden children of theme parklands.

If Disney attracted a 20-foot cutout of spiderman to a building people would complain about the lazy design that assumes guests are stupid.

Marvel Super Hero Island is miles below Universal's current standards, I don't see how that can be praised while bashing what Disney just built in DCA. Probably just extreme cynicism towards modern Disney.

I haven’t been to IOA but the Super Hero island doesn’t look appealing to me in pictures. Still doesn’t mean Avengers Campus was the right approach.

wityblack

Does anyone know if there are still plans to move forward with the Avengers E-Ticket? Or if it has been delayed, reworked, or scrapped?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom