Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Brer Oswald

Because Disney was trying to be cute and clever and come up with their own idea for the project. They should have gone with a comic book feel or a real-life city feel. San Francisco was mentioned and such as aesthetic would have been preferable and would have made some sense.
It’s so weird how they did this with both Star Wars and Marvel. If you’re going to just build warehouses, at least make them warehouses that are actually from the films.

If you’re going to come up with something new, be more creative than “warehouses”.

Brer Oswald

Why does modern WDI love gentrified asthetics so much? They did it to world of disney too. I don't know enough about disney springs but I feel like it's there too.
They did it to many stores in Disney Springs, including World of Disney. I think the central area they designed looks pretty nice from the exterior perspective, but you lose the personality as soon as you go inside the stores.

DrAlice

designed looks pretty nice from the exterior perspective, but you lose the personality as soon as you go inside the stores.
There seems to be a lot of that going on in WDW. From hotel rooms to new EPCOT stores, bland is in. YouTuber Brayden (Mickey Views News) had a pretty long rant about it recently. He described it as the "Apple Store" model of letting the merchandise be the focal point, while the store is bland.

I suppose the Apple Store model is a valid perspective, but it isn't the perspective that got Disney to be the beloved DISNEY that people are nostalgic for. My family spent way more time at Marriot's Great America than we did at Disneyland because it was closer. Yet I'm nostalgic for DL, not GA. I have so many memories of the small moments as a child where my parents pointed out the cool stuff in the Emporium or the sounds on Center Street or the party line conversations on the phone in Market House. So many times my dad would say "THIS is what makes Disneyland what it is".

MarvelCharacterNerd

And it seems to lack shade. BugsLand was a pleasant, charming space to sit and people watch while eating a Mickey-shaped ice cream. From what images I've seen, Avenger's Campus does not have that charming "I want to sit here for awhile" feeling. I hope I'm wrong.
vs. some of us who used Bugs Land only as a shortcut to get anywhere else and never stopped for 30 seconds there ever in all of its existence, yet plan to spend hours at a time in Avengers Campus. :)

#differentstrokes

For me, this is a huge upgrade - both to the land's appeal and to go from sitting on benches by a bunch of blue or tan Backlot buildings to see all the Marvel characters, to actually having a land for them all to congregate in that's going to be especially cool at night. The Sanctum looks like a really nice spot. I love each section being focused on different characters - that's how it was in the Backlot and I'm used to seeing each character given their own corner since Marvel HQ in Tomorrowland first debuted, but now they're going to be all together instead of spread out in various spots out of sight of each other, which will give them more opportunity to mingle - which is what produces the BEST character moments and made for some great memories when it happened on occasion in the Backlot. The characters have and are so much fun when they get to play together. And I will happily look for a bench in the middle of it all (hopefully there are some) and sit there for hours watching the characters everywhere I turn.

For those who say 'no one is going to want to hang out here' - that's simply wrong. I do. The Marvel park-going fans I know do. Just because something doesn't appeal to one group, doesn't mean it won't appeal to others. (I think all roller coasters are a useless waste of space *to me personally* but I don't say they have no value to anyone else and no one could possibly want to spend time on them. I simply don't go to Magic Mountain and I just pass them by at the Disney parks because they have no appeal whatsoever *to me*.) This place is my new home in the park and I can't wait to hang out there!

Would I prefer Asgard or Wakanda or 177A Bleecker Street? Sure. But I'm pretty sure those aren't located in CA and the park as a whole is stuck with that theme. So I'll go with the business park/college campus/Circuit City complex with the lovely Sanctum garden in one corner and places to snack and shop. Just give me the characters hanging out there, and I'll be a happy camp(us)er.

I understand I'm in the minority here while virtually everyone else is eagerly anticipating their disappointment in its execution, but as someone who's spent most of my park time in the last decade having joyous magical experiences in the Hollywood Backlot - with a whole lot of other people who also spent a whole lot of very enjoyable time back there - I just keep being surprised by people who think just because something doesn't appeal to them, that it couldn't possibly appeal to anyone.

Disney Analyst

vs. some of us who used Bugs Land only as a shortcut to get anywhere else and never stopped for 30 seconds there ever in all of its existence, yet plan to spend hours at a time in Avengers Campus. :)

#differentstrokes

For me, this is a huge upgrade - both to the land's appeal and to go from sitting on benches by a bunch of blue or tan Backlot buildings to see all the Marvel characters, to actually having a land for them all to congregate in that's going to be especially cool at night. The Sanctum looks like a really nice spot. I love each section being focused on different characters - that's how it was in the Backlot and I'm used to seeing each character given their own corner since Marvel HQ in Tomorrowland first debuted, but now they're going to be all together instead of spread out in various spots out of sight of each other, which will give them more opportunity to mingle - which is what produces the BEST character moments and made for some great memories when it happened on occasion in the Backlot. The characters have and are so much fun when they get to play together. And I will happily look for a bench in the middle of it all (hopefully there are some) and sit there for hours watching the characters everywhere I turn.

For those who say 'no one is going to want to hang out here' - that's simply wrong. I do. The Marvel park-going fans I know do. Just because something doesn't appeal to one group, doesn't mean it won't appeal to others. (I think all roller coasters are a useless waste of space *to me personally* but I don't say they have no value to anyone else and no one could possibly want to spend time on them. I simply don't go to Magic Mountain and I just pass them by at the Disney parks because they have no appeal whatsoever *to me*.) This place is my new home in the park and I can't wait to hang out there!

Would I prefer Asgard or Wakanda or 177A Bleecker Street? Sure. But I'm pretty sure those aren't located in CA and the park as a whole is stuck with that theme. So I'll go with the business park/college campus/Circuit City complex with the lovely Sanctum garden in one corner and places to snack and shop. Just give me the characters hanging out there, and I'll be a happy camp(us)er.

I understand I'm in the minority here while virtually everyone else is eagerly anticipating their disappointment in its execution, but as someone who's spent most of my park time in the last decade having joyous magical experiences in the Hollywood Backlot - with a whole lot of other people who also spent a whole lot of very enjoyable time back there - I just keep being surprised by people who think just because something doesn't appeal to them, that it couldn't possibly appeal to anyone.
I agree with you. It’s all very appealing to me.

Brer Oswald

I have no issues if you enjoy it. I just think it’s another missed opportunity. Marvel is the biggest “blockbuster” IP they have. Concrete, warehouses, and Spider-Man Mania (with none of his villains) reeks of missed potential on the creative scale.

I’m sure it will be fun, but I expected more.

George Lucas on a Bench

The problem is that no matter how bad this crap turns out, it usually becomes popular. At least the Fast and the Furious ride at Universal has terrible Yelp reviews and was closed for a long time "due to the pandemic", a silent admission of its failure. At Disney, this awful crap is already considered a resounding success by not just the obsessive fanbase, but the company itself. They declare everything an Instant Classic and we're stuck with it until we're dead. I mean, just think. Avenger Campus and Galaxy Edge will still be there long after we're all dead, while so many legitimate great classics will be long gone.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

On the second level catwalks. Talks on here and there have mentioned possibly black widow and her new villain in the yet to be released movie. Or could be just a generic show, showcasing the heroes.
They will do it for the press preview and never have it again like for Galaxy's Edge. and if not, why the hell is this getting a stunt show instead of galaxy's edge?! how is there a budget for a stunt show for this new land but not galaxy's edge. people want a lightsaber stunt show sooo bad.

CaptinEO

I don't watch the Marvel films but I will say that the core essence of Comic Books are action and excitement.

A school campus doesn't do that for me at all. I think people who don't even watch Marvel movies should have a fun and exiting land. This does not provide that.

Something like Six Flags Gotham (before it got rethemed) or Island of Adventures Comic Book Land do a great job of showcasing a comic book world and the excitement that goes with it.

A college campus? What? You need a crime
filled city for the heroes and criminals
to fight together in.

The theme should be INSTANTLY recognizable. The second you have to explain the back story of how Avengers Campus relates to super heroes or how Batuu related to Star Wars, is the second you already lost the point of the source material.

We just need a city where Spiderman can beat up some thugs. Community college though? No kid wants to see that.

CaptinEO

Was thinking about this again and wanted to further elaborate, that just like Star Wars, when it comes to Marvel Disney only wants to promote the Disney Marvel.

We saw this with Galaxy's Edge where they chose to forego decades of characters and storytelling to instead focus on Disney's own Star Wars film trilogy and characters

Marvel's land choice to use Chris Pratt and Tom Holland videos on their rides show that Marvel Land is not a land dedicated to the Marvel Super Hero characters that have graced comic books since the mid 20th century, but is instead a land dedicated to the Marvel Studios films of the 2010s and 2020s.

Could you imagine if people made a Superman ride with Christopher Reeves footage? Or a Spiderman ride with Tobey McGuire footage? They would age like fine milk.

Yet if you just make rides and lands based on the comic book character of Spiderman and Batman, they would be timeless (see Universal Studios' Spiderman Attraction).

Brer Oswald

Was thinking about this again and wanted to further elaborate, that just like Star Wars, when it comes to Marvel Disney only wants to promote the Disney Marvel.

We saw this with Galaxy's Edge where they chose to forego decades of characters and storytelling to instead focus on Disney's own Star Wars film trilogy and characters

Marvel's land choice to use Chris Pratt and Tom Holland videos on their rides show that Marvel Land is not a land dedicated to the Marvel Super Hero characters that have graced comic books since the mid 20th century, but is instead a land dedicated to the Marvel Studios films of the 2010s and 2020s.

Could you imagine if people made a Superman ride with Christopher Reeves footage? Or a Spiderman ride with Tobey McGuire footage? They would age like fine milk.

Yet if you just make rides and lands based on the comic book character of Spiderman and Batman, they would be timeless (see Universal Studios' Spiderman Attraction).
I assume it boosts their ego now, but it’s a poor decision in the long run. You look at that concept art with the animated Spider-Man, Green Goblin, and Doc Ock, and it looks fun and filled with energy. Truly timeless.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Focusing on the new trilogy was a result of The Force Awakens making $2B box office. Not a purposeful rejection of prior Star Wars stories under Lucas.

A rejection of everything Lucas would have meant not putting out the last season of The Clone Wars, not greenlighting The Bad Batch, not having a place for Darth Vader at Jedi Academy or Launch Bay, not greenlighting Rogue One nor Solo.

Iger thought the new sequel would be a big as the original based on the box office. Is it hard to believe the motivation was profit?

flynnibus

Premium Member
She said Bavarian/European Village aesthetic, which all of Fantasyland fits. I'm missing the part where she's wrong.

how about everything not part of the the wing buildings? Dumbo, caseys, alice, teacups, iasw, all the open spaces around those.

its still a big of mix n match of the old fair style with the detailed fascades with rides that don’t necessarily connect to the locale.

the reason why FL works is because it has connecting tissue... not so much trying to br a singular place or thing. Its a theme... not a literal , single place/idea. It has things that are compatible more than they are “the same”. It’s more a collage than a place.

it has more disjunction then it has continuity. But the pieces do not clash because they are not trying to be singular

CaptinEO

Focusing on the new trilogy was a result of The Force Awakens making $2B box office. Not a purposeful rejection of prior Star Wars stories under Lucas.

A rejection of everything Lucas would have meant not putting out the last season of The Clone Wars, not greenlighting The Bad Batch, not having a place for Darth Vader at Jedi Academy or Launch Bay, not greenlighting Rogue One nor Solo.

Iger thought the new sequel would be a big as the original based on the box office. Is it hard to believe the motivation was profit?
I'm speaking on the themepark front only for this topic.

Also Jedi Academy was removed once Batuu opened. The two tommorowland stormtroopers were also moved to Batuu as their only form of entertainment.

It became a purposeful rejection when they purposefully chose to focus only on the new trilogy. There's no reason they had to "time lock" any land. Yet Disney locked it in a point where Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, and Han Solo don't exist.

Box Office numbers adjusted for inflation show that "Star Wars" in 1977 made more money than The Force Awakens in 2015.

Count the decades of adoration of Star Wars characters and stories that Disney excluded by locking the land to one time period, and you have quite a cluster on your hand.

If the motivation was "profit", they made a poor choice, as clearly the land underperformed. Being able to have all time periods, characters, and merchandising in the land would've put them in a better financial position.

I think the true reason "Batuu" turned out how it did is because Imagineering cared so much about THEIR stories and THEIR creations that they forgot they were adapting a land based on someone else's stories.

Imagineering took Star Wars Land so seriously that you cant buy anything with the Star Wars name or logo on it, because you are in the world of Star Wars, not a theme park. If kids want a Star Wars shirt they better walk to the opposite side of the park and go to Tommorowland. They can buy a "Droid Depot" and "Black Spire Outpost" shirt in Star Wars Land, which are all creations of Disney Imagineering.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom