Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patcheslee

Well, it’s not Indiana 😉 (I married a Hoosier, FWIW). Great Wolf Lodge (indoors) is wide open near Kings’ Island from what I gather. A few indoor touristy spots around there, too.

Plus, if the weather’s nice people will be at the ballparks and zoos dotting the state.
I've honestly gotten burnt out on Indiana spots, there's only so much I can stand driving in a day and have to go back home. Really want to go back to Newport Aquarium once it gets nice enough to walkaround the neighborhood.

sullyinMT

I've honestly gotten burnt out on Indiana spots, there's only so much I can stand driving in a day and have to go back home. Really want to go back to Newport Aquarium once it gets nice enough to walkaround the neighborhood.
We visited my folks for Spring Break a few weeks ago. The Aquarium was nice (and they’re doing a great job with their mitigation plan, too), but dang has the Levee as a whole deteriorated since we moved West. Pretty sad to see Newport falling back into what we tried to avoid as kids. Hopefully it can recover when this is all over, they worked so hard to make it a legitimate destination.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Let me pump a little sunshine here. Florida's 7-day rolling average has improved drastically over the last two months despite today's slight uptick. Hopefully over the next week we'll see that trend resume.

3vopu9L.png
Deaths overall are dropping which is a good sign and with 77% of 65+ vaccinated nationwide it should continue to drop off. I think his post was focused on cases, not deaths. FL is in a sorta plateau, not a spike just sorta moving along unsure which way to go. More activity is being offset by vaccines. It’s a tie :)

D7D527B7-F539-4043-B532-FE55DE644309.png

Kevin_W

Kings Island and Cedar Point aren't open yet, is there something else there besides buckeyes? Lol
Columbus zoo can be argued to be top in the nation (and certainly up there with San Diego, Smithsonian, etc.). Toledo, Cincinnati, and Cleveland all have really nice zoos as well. I'm not sure why we are such a zoo state!

There is some nice outdoor recreation, but our neighbors in KY/WV/Michigan probably have us beat in those areas.

sullyinMT

News about the Orange County Convention Center vaccine site closing at the end of May -

Kinda makes sense to target neighborhoods now that the blitz is over.

On a related note, they must have had good turnout in places like the WDW CM outreach event (even though that was Osceola). If they didn’t have local proof that things like this can work, I would assume they’d stay the current course.

HarperRose

The last year has taught me quite a lot, but amongst the biggest is that many people have trouble with nuance. Or understanding that often health decisions need to be made on a decision-tree model, instead of a straight line.
It's taught me a lot about my fellow humans and a vast majority of it is not positive, evidenced over and over on this thread and out in the real world.

correcaminos

Columbus zoo can be argued to be top in the nation (and certainly up there with San Diego, Smithsonian, etc.). Toledo, Cincinnati, and Cleveland all have really nice zoos as well. I'm not sure why we are such a zoo state!

There is some nice outdoor recreation, but our neighbors in KY/WV/Michigan probably have us beat in those areas.
It's regularly in the top 2 spots. There was a year where a commercial was made about being #2. Recently found out it's the largest zoo in the nation per an article I read. Not shocking as we never do the full zoo in one day even. Quite sad about Jack Hanna though. He really helped make the zoo what it is.

I hadn't heard that about the fair. Disappointing. I hope the Irish Festival happens this year.
Just received notice this afternoon that it will be for those presenting/competing etc at the fair and families only. Also spread out more. They claim to be back for 2022. They moved the fest to Aug right? So maybe.

Bob Harlem

Kinda makes sense to target neighborhoods now that the blitz is over.

On a related note, they must have had good turnout in places like the WDW CM outreach event (even though that was Osceola). If they didn’t have local proof that things like this can work, I would assume they’d stay the current course.

This has more to do with the contract running out in June, and there are actual conventions booked for the space in June as well.

sullyinMT

This has more to do with the contract running out in June, and there are actual conventions booked for the space in June as well.
I’m sure. But the Magic (NBA) are done in mid-May. I’m sure they could move to the Amway Arena at that time if they wanted a centralized approach. It’s coming to a point now, though, where convenience will be paramount to the fence sitters and excuse makers who still want the vaccine in 6 weeks. Assuming these neighborhood pod sites are places normally used for polling places and the like, it will be difficult to claim long lines and long commutes are prohibiting people from seeking appointments.

Flugell

Reading through the discussion as to whether it was wise to close down “with a sledgehammer” at the beginning of the pandemic I feel there is no correct answer! We will never know how many extra deaths or serious illnesses were prevented but equally we will never know if keeping outside activities open would have been beneficial or not had any significant impact on the number of deaths. The thing perhaps we should remember is that no one knew at that time and to a lesser extent now, which mitigation methods were/are most effective. I can only imagine the problems and angst of Governors (?) and advisors who had to make these life changing / life saving/ life costing decisions knowing that whichever way they go people will complain. Perhaps the fact that we are still discussing the rights/wrongs of their decisions a year down the line and are still divided means they got it just about right! However 559,000 deaths in the USA and still climbing probably proves they didn’t.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Reading through the discussion as to whether it was wise to close down “with a sledgehammer” at the beginning of the pandemic I feel there is no correct answer! We will never know how many extra deaths or serious illnesses were prevented but equally we will never know if keeping outside activities open would have been beneficial or not had any significant impact on the number of deaths. The thing perhaps we should remember is that no one knew at that time and to a lesser extent now, which mitigation methods were/are most effective. I can only imagine the problems and angst of Governors (?) and advisors who had to make these life changing / life saving/ life costing decisions knowing that whichever way they go people will complain. Perhaps the fact that we are still discussing the rights/wrongs of their decisions a year down the line and are still divided means they got it just about right! However 559,000 deaths in the USA and still climbing probably proves they didn’t.
A year down the road and it's basically turned into a "look how good I follow the rules" contest for most people.

Critical thinking and questioning the ever changing "data" has become heresy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just a quick update on Israel. The 7 day moving average of new cases has dropped to just over 300 a day. Adjusting for their population size that‘s roughly 3 cases per 100,000 people. The equivalent in the US would be under 10,000 cases a day which is a metric that Fauci said could be the point where we start to reopen businesses at full capacity and lose masks. We are currently at the point where we have 33.7% of the population with at least one shot. Israel is at 58.6%. With our current vaccination pace we should hit a similar mark to where Israel is today in a little over a month. So it’s possible if we follow the same path as Israel did we get to a level under 10,000 cases a day by as soon as mid-May. Just a little while longer to hold out. Everyone just needs to get their vaccines. :)

7FA05A0A-2818-46E6-AEAE-7A5297A295FB.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom