News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

SplashJacket

Not to say new designs weren’t done. It was to have a much grander entrance remember
I'm pretty sure I'm misunderstanding this but are you saying that the Magic Kingdom Tron once had a grander entrance?

And by remember, do you mean that it was a public plan?

This was the first concept art we got
1617832505535.png

and this was the second.

1617832514905.png

The only differences I spot are the removal of the escalator for a ramp, mirroring Shanghai's setup, an enclosed railroad circuit, and the big elevated tron sign was swapped for a small Tron sign in a planter.

Am I missing something, or am I talking about something completely differnet?

The Rocketeer

If they weren't so afraid of spending money Disney should have taken the opportunity to plus Tron and make it somewhat unique in comparison to the original in Shanghai. I would like to go to DLR and the international parks one day and a reason why is because while they have the same attractions in name and theme, there is often differences that make each one have its own personality for the lack of a better word (like DLRP's Big Thunder and Space Mountain or DLR's Pirates). Even if it was something as simple as the layout being slightly extended to go over more of the speedway or one more launch added into the ride it would have gone a long way to satisfy guests and adding another block section would've increased capacity.

Brer Oswald

Yes. Entrance next to speedway queue and wide elevated walkway over the top of the speedway.
As cool as that would’ve been, it would’ve blocked off any potential redevelopment of that area. Not that they are planning to anyways (for whatever reason) but it’s nice to know that it isn’t completely off the table due to physical constraints imposed by an elevated walkway.

SplashJacket

As cool as that would’ve been, it would’ve blocked off any potential redevelopment of that area. Not that they are planning to anyways (for whatever reason) but it’s nice to know that it isn’t completely off the table due to physical constraints imposed by an elevated walkway.
Purely armchair, but I don't think it would be that far off to see the Baymax spinner from Tokyo go in the space alongside something else with a retheme of Cosmic Rays to a Battle Bot Cafe.

Surferboy567

Purely armchair, but I don't think it would be that far off to see the Baymax spinner from Tokyo go in the space alongside something else with a retheme of Cosmic Rays to a Battle Bot Cafe.
This is probably going to be a unpopular opinion. I think that Big Hero 6 would work well in EPCOT. Tomorrowland works as well, wouldn’t want a spinner though.

Brer Oswald

Ugh I hope not. It would remove the emissions, but it wouldn’t increase any capacity (which is one of the current major failures of the Speedway area).

SplashJacket

Ugh I hope not. It would remove the emissions, but it wouldn’t increase any capacity (which is one of the current major failures of the Speedway area).
The spinner wouldn't take up the whole plot. A pond with fountains underneath the people mover supports would be gorgeous with Tron in the background.

Brer Oswald

This is probably going to be a unpopular opinion. I think that Big Hero 6 would work well in EPCOT. Tomorrowland works as well, wouldn’t want a spinner though.
Baymax the robot fits fine in Tomorrowland. Baymax the robot. Not Big Hero 6. Not Sanfransokyo. Not Hiro. Not the school.

I think the gameplan for IP in Tomorrowland should be specific concepts and characters that fit in line with futurism. Book report areas and rides? No. But they’ll do whatever they want.

Surferboy567

Baymax the robot fits fine in Tomorrowland. Baymax the robot. Not Big Hero 6. Not Sanfransokyo. Not Hiro. Not the school.

I think the gameplan for IP in Tomorrowland should be specific concepts and characters that fit in line with futurism. Book report areas and rides? No. But they’ll do whatever they want.
I think the main cast of Hiro and Co, being interested in science though the school and such works well in EPCOT.

If it’s just Baymax though we are in agreement.

GimpYancIent

Tomorrowland evolved at a time when 20 years into the future was 1984. I see Tomorrowland as a snapshot of how people at one time (in the now past) viewed the future. No to change it to a view of how the current generation views the up coming future would destroy that unique small view of that history.

Brer Oswald

Tomorrowland evolved at a time when 20 years into the future was 1984. I see Tomorrowland as a snapshot of how people at one time (in the now past) viewed the future. No to change it to a view of how the current generation views the up coming future would destroy that unique small view of that history.
That’s what I want, but that’s not what it is. The futurism of the 50s was so far out there that it will never be reached. At least, not in the way it was expected.

UNCgolf

It's not like that anymore, though -- Space Mountain is the only thing that fits that idea. The Speedway was never futuristic, and stuff like the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor and Buzz Lightyear have nothing to do with any vision of the future.

Brer Oswald

The concept of learning has been apart of EPCOT since the beginning (not of recently). I am merely doing a bit of armchair Imagineering.

Also...World Discovery is what I mean.
It’s “learning” but there was a shared theme of humanity between the World Showcase and Future World. The all encompassing “theme” of Discovery isn’t really a theme at all. It’s something that can be applied to any Disney park.

Surferboy567

It’s “learning” but there was a shared theme of humanity between the World Showcase and Future World. The all encompassing “theme” of Discovery isn’t really a theme at all. It’s something that can be applied to any Disney park.
Sure, I agree with this. Not sure why but EPCOT just has a different vibe to it that I associate with Discovery then just about any other Disney Park maybe it’s the heavy emphasis on humanity. I do agree it can be used as a loose construct to fit any theme.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom