News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
well actually... here's my theory

I think disney wants vaccine passports.....They just can't come out and say that right now.

This new mask thing will cause issues, they know that. God bless those CMS.
The CM unions may fight for it.
This change may give Disney grounds to require it.

Down the line this could present them with the opportunity to say "hey you know what, its getting hard to control this, to make it easy and safe for our CMS and guests, we are now going to require that everyone is vaccinated.No more masks, just vaccinations."

I think they want proof of vaccines.

Requiring proof of vaccination will shrink the pool of eligible guests for the foreseeable future. That means lower revenue and profits. Think about it.

Notes from Neverland

As I mentioned in the article, this was a significant pain point for cast members - should go a long way to reducing that particular conflict.
Unless it leads to guests always claiming they're about to take a photo. Seems like more gray area for cast members to police. I think the change makes sense, but I don't envy any cast member dealing with the inevitable loophole finders.

mgf

Yea that’s not gonna happen. Especially with DeSantis leading the anti passport movement.

To this point - Disney could likely get any looser restrictions it wanted. It would have political cover in the state.

It has intentionally decided not to do so. The company is being more conservative (not the political meaning of the word) than it is being forced to be.

In fact, this is largely the story of the pandemic in America -- large corporations and organizations moved far faster and farther than the government to take actions they determined would protect both their workforces and their customers. It might have been imperfect along the way. It might not have been to everyone's liking. It might have had some performative aspects in hindsight ("sanitation theater") but the speed came from non-governmental actors.

Last edited:

Dutch Inn '76

"Disney's strict mask policy, and in particular not allowing guests to remove guests during photos, continues to be a pain point in the parks. Cast Members are frequently having to enforce the mask use as guests take photos, and often receive some push-back from the guests. This new policy should go a long way to helping to reduce those confrontations."

Finally! I was a guest offering "some push-back" in December. Not allowing folks to take pictures is loony.

There is no scientific reason to force mask wearing outside; especially if social distancing. The slightest breeze, imperceptible to us, will dissipate the teeny droplets.

They can stop with the hand sanitizer too, as today the CDC finally said you really don't get it from surface contact at all. 1 chance in 10,000...

disneygeek90

From Disney's perspective, they could realistically do it now. The response to any pushback would be "The vaccine is available nationwide. If you've been vaccinated and are still afraid, you should stay at home until you're no longer afraid."
They should realistically wait at least until their cast members were fully vaccinated. That puts it at 5-6 weeks out minimum.

Epcotfan21

I dont think that EO will hold up when it comes to companies like disney. And if it does, Disney brings the state BILLIONS. They could easily win a war with desantis.
I just don't think it's a hill that Disney will want to die on. Like another poster mentioned, it will likely bring a massive profit loss at a time when the company is already suffering from massive losses in the parks arena.

jamos140

"Disney's strict mask policy, and in particular not allowing guests to remove guests during photos, continues to be a pain point in the parks. Cast Members are frequently having to enforce the mask use as guests take photos, and often receive some push-back from the guests. This new policy should go a long way to helping to reduce those confrontations."

Finally! I was a guest offering "some push-back" in December. Not allowing folks to take pictures is loony.

There is no scientific reason to force mask wearing outside; especially if social distancing. The slightest breeze, imperceptible to us, will dissipate the teeny droplets.

They can stop with the hand sanitizer too, as today the CDC finally said you really don't get it from surface contact at all. 1 chance in 10,000...
Keep the hand sanitizer. Stops the spread of tons of other colds, stomach bugs and other crud that spreads at Disney.

disneygeek90

I just don't think it's a hill that Disney will want to die on. Like another poster mentioned, it will likely bring a massive profit loss at a time when the company is already suffering from massive losses in the parks arena.
I'm not sure how it would be a profit loss, though. Ideally, they would be able to raise capacity and have those that are fully vaxed and feel comfortable enough to travel. Based off the numbers I see over the past few months of people willing to return with no entertainment and masks, I gotta think that even more would be wanting to visit with lowered restrictions and a fully vaxed crowd.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The CDC guidance still recommends surface cleaning, hand washing/sanitizing, the only real change in the guidance is that soap and water are fine and stronger disinfectants are only needed when you are cleaning a space where someone with COVID has been.

legwand77

well actually... here's my theory

I think disney wants vaccine passports.....They just can't come out and say that right now.

This new mask thing will cause issues, they know that. God bless those CMS.
The CM unions may fight for it.
This change may give Disney grounds to require it.

Down the line this could present them with the opportunity to say "hey you know what, its getting hard to control this, to make it easy and safe for our CMS and guests, we are now going to require that everyone is vaccinated.No more masks, just vaccinations."

I think they want proof of vaccines.
There is no way that can currently happen the technology hurdles and nightmares it would create, Disney wants no part of it. The NY vax passport is a mess and that is one state, imagine dealing with having to deal the entire nation and or world.

Epcotfan21

I'm not sure how it would be a profit loss, though. Ideally, they would be able to raise capacity and have those that are fully vaxed and feel comfortable enough to travel. Based off the numbers I see over the past few months of people willing to return with no entertainment and masks, I gotta think that even more would be wanting to visit with lowered restrictions and a fully vaxed crowd.
The majority of Americans are not in favor of a vaccine passport. It would be bad publicity, plain and simple. Listen, I'm all for people getting vaccinated and my wish would be that everyone will choose to do so, but I'm very much against the idea of passports and think companies choosing to require them would be making a mistake.

disneygeek90

The majority of Americans are not in favor of a vaccine passport. It would be bad publicity, plain and simple. Listen, I'm all for people getting vaccinated and my wish would be that everyone will choose to do so, but I'm very much against the idea of passports and think companies choosing to require them would be making a mistake.
Majority is 50%. I think we're well on the way to have over 50% vaccinated.

GimpYancIent

The CDC guidance still recommends surface cleaning, hand washing/sanitizing, the only real change in the guidance is that soap and water are fine and stronger disinfectants are only needed when you are cleaning a space where someone with COVID has been.
Hell! When cleaning any surfaces don't mess around USE CLOROX. Its not all about COVID.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Keep the hand sanitizer. Stops the spread of tons of other colds, stomach bugs and other crud that spreads at Disney.
a legendary christmas preach GIF by NBC

GimpYancIent

I thought that too, although I'd imagine a lot of people want maskless on ride photos, which is probably further away from happening. It's exciting to think that it's soon though!
My family (several generations) and I enjoy the interactions with the photographers scattered about the different parks. We see it as part of the fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom