News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

jt04

I’ve seen the barges/tacos/stargate with my own two eyes. Have you?

Irrelevant to the concept of the amphitheater or some other way to shield that view.

It isn't as if they are going to remove them because a few voices in the internet are supposedly upset with the placement.

I'm loving the audacity of it personally. 🎇🎆🎡🎆🎇

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Irrelevant to the concept of the amphitheater or some other way to shield that view.

It isn't as if they are going to remove them because a few voices in the internet are supposedly upset with the placement.

So, your “solution” to ruined sight lines is... to destroy them completely. While we’re talking about WSL, then, how many high rise resorts do you think they could build around it? One per country, or just fill in all available space plus add bars everywhere and really bring in the money?

UNCgolf

LOL at "a few voices" and "supposedly". Feedback is like 90% negative, even from people who are almost as defensive of everything Disney does as you.

nickys

Premium Member
If you couldn't see the barges on approach it would make a great deal of difference to the first time guest. A stadium or amphitheater though small in this situation, would help IMO. You have to imagine what the creatives could do with such a project. Lots of possibilities.

It could even have a few skyboxes. Climate controlled of course. ☔
So let me get this straight.

Your suggestion is that first time visitors (since the installation of the barges) see the back of some grandstand seating when they approach the lagoon.

And that this would somehow wow them. So much so that when they see the barges they’ll still be so impressed with the grandstand that they’ll be able to ignore the fact that the huge ugly black barges are dominating the view across the lagoon.

For some reason I’m finding it hard to believe the back of some grandstand seating is so awe inspiring that it’ll capture the imagination of these first time visitors.

When I think about my memories of Epcot, they nearly all involve views around World Showcase. Many of my photos have the lagoon in the background. These first time guests aren’t going to have those views. And neither will I again.

nickys

Premium Member
OK, I was reading wikipedia and found this. I don't know if it was posted here before. Looks like the barges will be permanent and running throughout the day. It could work out well and add a kinetic element to the lagoon. Who knows.
Did you see the pictures of when they actually tried running them? There is no disguising those ugly black monstrosities, no matter how much water comes out of the fountains.

And you can’t see past them either. No more beautiful views across the lagoon.

jt04

So, your “solution” to ruined sight lines is... to destroy them completely. While we’re talking about WSL, then, how many high rise resorts do you think they could build around it? One per country, or just fill in all available space plus add bars everywhere and really bring in the money?

What if the back of the amphitheater theater wall was a copy of the facade of IaSW from DL? It could even have projection mapping. Just armchair imagineering here but you get the idea. Amazing that so many fans of Disney never can imagine any solutions. Boggles.

As for the barges, if the show is good enough people will cope. Probably only complain they want more barges!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The Chief would like to have a word with you..
1617712979108.png

Nubs70

What if the back of the amphitheater theater wall was a copy of the facade of IaSW from DL? It could even have projection mapping. Just armchair imagineering here but you get the idea. Amazing that so many fans of Disney never can imagine any solutions. Boggles.

As for the barges, if the show is good enough people will cope. Probably only complain they want more barges!
The show might be fantastic but during the day the view across the lagoon looks like a floating junkyard. My own personal photos do not accurately portray the absolute eyesore that is the Stargate and Tacos (SaT).

jt04

The show might be fantastic but during the day the view across the lagoon looks like a floating junkyard. My own personal photos do not accurately portray the absolute eyesore that is the Stargate and Tacos (SaT).

Still not as bad as the wand, tarps and tombstones IMO. Plus this is not the finished product. Plus also and it isn't permanent.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Still not as bad as the wand, tarps and tombstones IMO. Plus this is not the finished product. Plus also and it isn't permanent.
Well it is likely to have a 20 year life span, and you are right it isn't finished, there is another barge to come out. Other than that, the structures are going to look as they are now, but will obviously age over time.

jt04

Well it is likely to have a 20 year life span, and you are right it isn't finished, there is another barge to come out. Other than that, the structures are going to look as they are now, but will obviously age over time.

I understood they are putting sheeting on the exterior of the arms to give them a more finished look. Plus the water features will be activated. I'm waiting for the final product to draw a final judgement. If the show isn't one of the best ever, I'd guess it lasts only a decade or so. Still too early.

GimpYancIent

I understood they are putting sheeting on the exterior of the arms to give them a more finished look. Plus the water features will be activated. I'm waiting for the final product to draw a final judgement. If the show isn't one of the best ever, I'd guess it lasts only a decade or so. Still too early.
It will be interesting to watch the disassembly and hauling away of all that scrap after those final judgements are made.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom