News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

Rich Brownn

And this is why a lot of laser projecting effects are awful. You have a beam of light tracing a path on a object over and over again, but not fast enough to not see it jitter.

Unlike the electron ray gun of a cathode TV tube which used a phosphor dot on the screen to temporarily glow and 'hold' the light there long enough to be refreshed, laser light just bounces off a spot and it immediately darkens when the laser pointer moves on. The technology hasn't progressed much since the 70's "laser light shows".

Laser lights can be used in some good ways, but projecting images will always be a fail until the mechanism moving the laser becomes much, much faster (requiring the laser light to be even brighter) or they use a whole boatload of lasers at once.
You do know they actually use lasers in motion picture theaters now?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
When was the last time it got a deep cleaning? Has it ever had one?
It’s cleaned regularly. When it looks REALLY dirty that means they’re in the middle of Powerwashing it; they can’t do the whole thing in one night so what they blast off of one area stains the area above it until they get to it the next night. There’s some great info in this older thread:

OK. I did some digging and here's the deal:

SSE is currently being cleaned on 3rd shift but it's taking longer than expected due to scheduling reasons. Powerwashing starts at the top and they spray everything down to just above the halfway point then it's powerwashed from a 150' High Reach on the ground. Only 1 person and one spotter are qualified to do the job and they keep getting pulled to do other highwork around the park. The 150' High Reach also doesn't belong to Epcot and it's been in high demand around the property. This would be the reason why the spot hasn't changed over a few days. But they were up top last night spraying and hopefully it will be completed soon.

Exterior powerwashing is done nearly every night but I don't know the schedule. I know they just did AA last week to get it ready for the 4th. And Imag was done as well recently for EO. It all depends on what the VP's want done first.

Cleaning this morning at 4AM using the 150' high reach:

0708100404.jpg

07082010041.jpg

These were taken with a cell phone so I'm sorry for the poor quality. I had it wrong the first time about the order of the cleaning. They told me that they start at the bottom and work their way up having to pressure wash upwards so it doesn't fall on the other buildings, flowers and people that are working below. This is why the top looks "dirty." As of this morning the dark spots are facing The Seas side of SSE (west) but everything should be completed soon. It's quite a process! 👋

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
"Laser light shows haven't changed since the 70's" okay maybe not a direct quote..

But you haven't been watching the right laser shows then if that's the case.
In all sincerity, do you have a link to a good one?

Disney's laser-drawings have the same jitter as the old 70s ones.

(Now, lasers, when they're not trying to draw something can add great effects (sparkles, simulated blasters in the Star Wars show, e.g.).)

FigmentFan82

I see a post I made the other day got deleted. It was a risky post, I'll cop to that, but I was hoping humor would win out. Is a PG-13 joke too much for these boards?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom