Spotlights return to Disney's Hollywood Studios

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Why did the spires even retract in the first place?
The front right, left side one did for Sorcery in the Sky fireworks to clear the view of a giant Mickey inflatable for the the finale.

edit; @SplashZander you can see it’s “missing” here; if in position it would have blocked Mickey somewhat:

46964E24-51B9-497B-A6DA-59DA560D82E5.jpeg

Last edited:

Brenthodge

The front right, left side one did for Sorcery in the Sky fireworks to clear the view of a giant Mickey inflatable for the the finale.

edit; @SplashZander you can see it’s “missing” here; if in position it would have blocked Mickey somewhat:

View attachment 542579
Remember the days when pieces of buildings were designed to retract because they blocked a little bit of the view of the last few minutes of a 10 minute fireworks show? Now we park aircraft landing barges in the center of the park all day that block the view for 90% of the operating day just do we can have that fireworks show? Wow. How did we get so far removed from understanding “show quality” applies to the ENTIRE operating day, not just the last 10-20 minutes?!?

artdeco

Remember the days when pieces of buildings were designed to retract because they blocked a little bit of the view of the last few minutes of a 10 minute fireworks show? Now we park aircraft landing barges in the center of the park all day that block the view for 90% of the operating day just do we can have that fireworks show? Wow. How did we get so far removed from understanding “show quality” applies to the ENTIRE operating day, not just the last 10-20 minutes?!?
I do miss the days when the Magic was NEVER spoiled with construction or maintenance. It was part of the mythology and mystery - those things happened at night. I would leave in the 70's and 80's and the closest thing to maintenance I saw were the gas-powered vacuums coming down Main Street behind us. Even *they* filled me with curiosity and wonder. "What must it be like to be here overnight and see this beautiful place being made perfect again for tomorrow?"

aladdin2007

Absolutely. First saw it when it was a month old. The comets during Sorcerers Apprentice are still a clear memory today - guests had never been so close to pyro launchers. If I recall it was the first show to use rooftop launchers.
This just reminded me to pull out the soundtrack and listen to it again, I really miss MGM as it originally was. I know there was not much in terms of attraction offerings in the early days but the ambience was well thought out and down to detail. Such as Sid's at the front. Its all gone now for whatever bare senseless bone they want to throw in somewhere with no rhyme or reason. ugg.

TrainsOfDisney

This just reminded me to pull out the soundtrack and listen to it again, I really miss MGM as it originally was. I know there was not much in terms of attraction offerings in the early days but the ambience was well thought out and down to detail. Such as Sid's at the front. Its all gone now for whatever bare senseless bone they want to throw in somewhere with no rhyme or reason. ugg.
I agree. With citizens of Hollywood, Hollywood public works, Mulch, and a daily parade the park really felt alive. Stores like Sids and the Writers Stop weren’t the “standard” Disney gift shop and had unique items and a unique feel to them.

Lilofan

Sids was so cool. Famous people signing expensive paintings and such all for sale. When I checked it out I never really saw anyone buying anything.

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

Breaking news: WDI has posted on Instagram that they seamlessly replaced the malfunctioning electric hand dryer in the men’s room in Tomorrow Land at the magic kingdom.

On his Instagram, Instagramineer Extraordinare Zach Ridley posted:

But the part I am really excited about is the triumphant return of electric hand dryers to our restrooms as we welcome guests to make sure they properly wash their hands. This is a culmination of years of work by our teams to bring basic sanitary options to this men's room. I love when our teams are able use their unique skills to enhance the stories within our parks and this definitely showcases our Imagineers ingenuity.
Soon to be followed by toilets that flush...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom