Masks and Social Distancing Go Away in WDW

When Masks and Social Distancing will go away in USA?

• Summer 2021

Votes: 45 10.5%
  • Fall/Winter 2021

Votes: 123 28.7%

Votes: 228 53.1%

Votes: 20 4.7%

Votes: 6 1.4%

Votes: 7 1.6%

• Total voters

CntrlFlPete

they do need to keep the new parking procedures where cars park in every other spot for the first pass, then they come back and fill in the 'other' once the filled the 'every' in the lane -- it is great to have all that space to grab all the junk out of the car to tote through the park!

Djsfantasi

I think the mask requirement will be gone by the fall. Once the vaccine is readily available to everyone, I can't imagine that a requirement (that impacts business) is going to remain in place to protect those who chose not to vaccinate.
Vaccination is not 100% effective. So some vaccinated people will contract the disease from unvaccinated people. Secondly, vaccination doesn’t prevent one from being a carrier. Unless we get most people vaccinated, some restrictions may need to remain.

Chi84

Premium Member
Vaccination is not 100% effective. So some vaccinated people will contract the disease from unvaccinated people. Secondly, vaccination doesn’t prevent one from being a carrier. Unless we get most people vaccinated, some restrictions may need to remain.
Vaccination is highly effective for preventing illness. At first, because the studies were extremely limited, vaccine makers said it was "unknown" whether a vaccinated person could be a carrier. But additional testing by the vaccine makers as well as results in the real world show that vaccines are highly effective at preventing vaccinated people from becoming infected and consequently infecting others. Nothing is 100% - that's an unrealistic goal for removing restrictions.

plawren2

I can see masks staying longer as it does not reduce the capacity allowed in the parks (and events like fireworks can return, attractions can run to full capacity) and besides enforcement, they are of no cost to WDW (in fact they profit by selling Disney theme masks in the parks). Remove social distancing and the parks can return to regular operations IF WDW decides to invest resources including staff to fully reopen versus control costs even while crowds/revenues return.

Chi84

Premium Member
I can see masks staying longer as it does not reduce the capacity allowed in the parks (and events like fireworks can return, attractions can run to full capacity) and besides enforcement, they are of no cost to WDW (in fact they profit by selling Disney theme masks in the parks). Remove social distancing and the parks can return to regular operations IF WDW decides to invest resources including staff to fully reopen versus control costs even while crowds/revenues return.
You’re assuming people will return in full capacity numbers if masks remain mandatory. I don’t think even Disney is that optimistic. Don’t think for a minute that any profit from selling masks will make up for the lost revenue from fewer people in the parks. The people on these boards are much more invested in Disney than the average guest, who will likely put off a trip until they don’t have to deal with restrictions.

Also, people here are constantly going on about how Disney will follow CDC guidelines. Those guidelines expressly state that masks are not to be used as a substitute for social distancing.

Roy G. Dis

Agree with above -- My sister can't fathom taking her two kids to WDW without FP. There's no FP because of limited capacity. There's limited capacity because of social distancing. Masks are almost irrelevant to how she views things.

Lilofan

I will take that chance. Moist of my family already have received our second shots.

Sarabell

It's important to keep in mind that vaccination is massive in the US, but not all over the world, and people from different countries are traveling to the US and a lot of them are going to the Disney parks. In my country, for instance, only around a million people have been vaccinated out of 50M (healthcare workers and elder citizens), and it doesn't look like us regular mortals will be vaccinated for some time (I am ashamed by my country BTW), so I guess US vaccination standards aren't the only ones Disney is keeping in mind in terms of relaxing the use of masks and social distancing.

MaryJaneP

Yea! Vaccines are being administered and have proven effective against recipients getting ill with severe symptoms including hospitalization, ventilators, and even death. The data is still not clear on whether the vaccines protect recipients from getting mildly ill or asymptomatic infections and whether vaccines have any effect whatsosver on whether vaccinated persons can or cannot be carriers of the virus. Let's hope that the data will prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that vaccinated people cannot be carriers. Masks and social distancing at WDW may depend on developing a strong set of data points that proves that.

deeevo

I think it will be a domino effect but Disney will not be the first of the theme parks to not require a mask. I think it will be a concert or sporting event and them others will follow.

OrlandoRising

The data is still not clear on whether the vaccines protect recipients from getting mildly ill or asymptomatic infections and whether vaccines have any effect whatsosver on whether vaccinated persons can or cannot be carriers of the virus.

Actually the primary endpoint in all the COVID-19 vaccines' clinical trials was based on symptomatic illness confirmed by a COVID test, You should consider that "mild" COVID-19, as in you show symptoms, feel sick, but don't need to go to the hospital and can recover at home.

So those topline efficacy rates you hear prominently in the news -- 94%ish for Pfizer/Moderna, 66% for J&J, etc. -- are based on the efficacy for preventing symptomatic, but mild illness. All the vaccines have shown greater efficacy in preventing severe COVID, hospitalization and death -- which is obvious, because there's no reason why a vaccine would be effective against mild cases but not severe ones.

There IS evidence that the Pfizer vaccine is highly effective in stopping asymptomatic infections.

Djsfantasi

Vaccination is highly effective for preventing illness. At first, because the studies were extremely limited, vaccine makers said it was "unknown" whether a vaccinated person could be a carrier. But additional testing by the vaccine makers as well as results in the real world show that vaccines are highly effective at preventing vaccinated people from becoming infected and consequently infecting others. Nothing is 100% - that's an unrealistic goal for removing restrictions.
You’re talking about a vaccinated person and their gf, who just experienced a direct COVID-19 exposure. I don’t know where you’re getting your information, but our physicians, quoting CDC guidelines, have recommended further quarantining and additional tests - even though we’ve been vaccinated. This is to protect the two of us and our family. I can’t see her for two weeks and had to cancel many plans.

Whatever the source of your information, it contradicts CDC and Massachusetts guidelines.

Thoughts and prayers that you and your family don’t fatally contract a disease due to what I think is misinformation.

Chi84

Premium Member
You’re talking about a vaccinated person and their gf, who just experienced a direct COVID-19 exposure. I don’t know where you’re getting your information, but our physicians, quoting CDC guidelines, have recommended further quarantining and additional tests - even though we’ve been vaccinated. This is to protect the two of us and our family. I can’t see her for two weeks and had to cancel many plans.

Whatever the source of your information, it contradicts CDC and Massachusetts guidelines.

Thoughts and prayers that you and your family don’t fatally contract a disease due to what I think is misinformation.
I’m not aware of any support for the proposition that vaccinated people are infecting others with COVID. The evidence appears to be to the contrary. I do acknowledge that physicians and the CDC are being cautious until more studies are done. Also, a direct recent exposure to the virus could trigger stricter protocols.

It’s true that just about anything is within the realm of possibility. I’m talking about facts and evidence sufficient to shape public health policies.

Edit: @Djsfantasi: The CDC guidelines expressly state that: "If you've been fully vaccinated [and] you've been around someone who has COVID-19, you do not need to stay away from others or get tested unless you have symptoms." There's an exception for those who live in a group setting like a "correctional or detention facility or group home." Then you should stay away from others for 14 days and get additional testing even if you don't have symptoms. Maybe your doctor's advice was given before the CDC guidelines were changed? I hope you’re not quarantining and canceling plans due to misinformation.

Last edited:

MaryJaneP

A problem with public health policies are that they may be relaxed due to public pressure and not reflective of actual scientific health data. This article shows what happened when officials abandoned virus infection mitigation efforts in the face of public outrage. The third and fourth waves were apparently caused thereby.

Walt Disney1955

When you know a family member who mistakenly got COVID from another family member last year when they were not wearing masks or social distancing at family gatherings (I know several), then you realize why many would take those precautions to protect their loved ones, especially those at highest risk.

You can't live your life like that. It isn't normal, or progressive. That is just living in pure fear with every move. You shouldn't STILL be doing this after a year.

DavidNoble

I think by the end of 2021, you will see a relaxation of the rules around wearing masks at Disney World, dependent upon how the vaccine rollout is going worldwide. With everyone in America having the opportunity to receive the vaccine this upcoming summer, that should help, but if the rollout is slow around the rest of the world or if the variants cause more issues than anticipated, then I think we see masks sticking around for a bit longer. I'm hopeful by the end of the year we're not wearing masks anymore.

Giss Neric

Even if the mask rules are relaxed or taken out, if some people feels the need to still wear one, don't ridicule or bully them by calling them sheep. I have encountered this type of bullying so many times in Miami during spring break and worst of all it came from college kids.

I went to Miami not to celebrate spring break and party. I'm there to visit relatives and just happened to be in the vicinity of those rowdy college kids partying.

plawren2

You can't live your life like that. It isn't normal, or progressive. That is just living in pure fear with every move. You shouldn't STILL be doing this after a year.
Nothing is normal about an infectious disease, just ask the millions who died in 1919-1920 or the 500,000 in US in last year- or their families. If it means protecting my family, yes I will and so should others. This is a serious infectious disease with easy preventable measures. One reason we are still doing this a year later is because so many would not follow the guidance last spring/summer and then again in fall, and now during Spring Break. Once we get to herd immunity with the vaccine, likely in a few more months, people should continue to protect themselves and their loved ones by wearing a mask and social distancing. I don't live in pure fear with every move, but willing to take easy steps to protect myself and others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom