Masks and Social Distancing Go Away in WDW

When Masks and Social Distancing will go away in USA?

• Summer 2021

Votes: 45 10.5%
  • Fall/Winter 2021

Votes: 123 28.7%

Votes: 228 53.1%

Votes: 20 4.7%

Votes: 6 1.4%

Votes: 7 1.6%

• Total voters

bdearl41

So you are willing to bet your families lives that all evidence does point to vaccinated people not being carriers or spreaders
So you are willing to bet your families lives that all evidence does point to vaccinated people not being carriers or spreaders ?
so my whole family is vaccinated so....

drizgirl

So you are willing to bet your families lives that all evidence does point to vaccinated people not being carriers or spreaders ?
If I need 100 percent failproof safety, I’m not going to a theme park. We are all vaccinated and I’m good with that.

I might be less inclined to recommend that to my elderly parents though. Even post vaccination.

Last edited:

bdearl41

And again. I’m not saying it’s impossible. I’m simply saying almost all evidence says vaccinated people don’t spread. That also said besides being vaccinated, we have no high risk people in my immediate family except my mother in law. She already had it and had very little symptoms. So yes. For my family I have zero fear of this virus now.

MaryJaneP

Even the vaccines are not "100%". If WDW remains a partial experience until 100% safe, then it will never be a full experience. That is not to say that it must be 100% or nothing, but 100% is the target to try to achieve and the current efforts are focused on maximizing the safety. Better to work harder at it than surrendering to the potential of infecting others and losing more that the 530,000+ that have already succumbed.

bdearl41

Even the vaccines are not "100%". If WDW remains a partial experience until 100% safe, then it will never be a full experience. That is not to say that it must be 100% or nothing, but 100% is the target to try to achieve and the current efforts are focused on maximizing the safety. Better to work harder at it than surrendering to the potential of infecting others and losing more that the 530,000+ that have already succumbed.
But the thing is 100% safe is not a real thing ever. And never will be. 650k people died from the Flu in 2018. Not comparing Flu to Covid. Just pointing out life in inherit enough with risk. Do we just live in fear the rest of our life???

bdearl41

The CDC says there were 34,000+ flu deaths in 2018, not 650K. Slightly different numbers. The 530,000+ deaths from COVID in the last 13 months is a US only number. Worldwide, the COVID deaths are 2.77 million, roughly 4 times as big as your flu death number. Not even close.
Worldwide. Sorry

MaryJaneP

And the 650K number you cite is a WHO number worldwide of respiratory deaths related (even if tangentially) to influenza illnesses and futhermore is an estimate by them, not an indisputable number.

Chi84

Premium Member
Mitigation measures are in place to control the pandemic, not to ensure that no one ever gets COVID. Now that highly effective vaccines are available, the burden of preventing illness is going to shift from society to the individual. The thing no one knows for certain is when that will happen; likely it will be gradual.

bdearl41

I guess my view is more of if I’m expected to be responsible for everyone else’s health. I should be trusted with my own. Myself and my family are vaccinated. The science for those vaccinated points to a return to normal. See Israel.

MaryJaneP

Masks, to some, seem to be the determinative factor, less so to others. If WDW requires wearing a mask or even if not, but wearing one means less spread, wearing a mask seems a reasonable measure. Did it affect this year's numbers regarding traditional virus activity? YMMV.

plawren2

Yep there currently are no studies on whether vaccinated people can continue to be carriers and spreaders, and will take a few months and millions of people vaccinated to get any conclusive data on that question: it why the CDC and every state/local heath department recommends if vaccinated you continue at this time to wear a mask and social distance

Chi84

Premium Member
Yep there currently are no studies on whether vaccinated people can continue to be carriers and spreaders, and will take a few months and millions of people vaccinated to get any conclusive data on that question: it why the CDC and every state/local heath department recommends if vaccinated you continue at this time to wear a mask and social distance
Contains links to the studies. I have no idea why people resist this so much. There’s much more info in the thread on COVID vaccine updates.

Chef Mickey

So I was just there 10 days. I've been 45 days since re-open in July 2020. This is BY FAR the most crowded and flippant I've seen both Disney and guests about abiding and implementing Covid rules.

Other than pseudo-masks, distancing is all but gone. Common areas are packed and markings to "wait" in queues are being ignored. People just don't care and don't think rules apply to them. The guests are far worse than 6 months ago.

Many rides operate at full capacity...7DMT, Thunder Mountain, Everest, HM, and many others have little or no distancing.

Masks are worn, but not enforced as aggressively, particularly at EPCOT. Cast Members used to stop people from walking and eating. No more. It's constant. Masks are consistently worn improperly. Boardwalk area has almost no masks. People take off masks during shows like Carousel and Soarin'.

Honestly, Disney is still trying their best I feel, but it's impossible to actually police this stuff all the time. I think CMs are understandably tired of reminding guests and corporate is feeling pressure to get capacity up again. I don't really blame anyone. If you're scared of Covid, stay home. It's still better at Disney than your average place.

Chi84

Premium Member
So I was just there 10 days. I've been 45 days since re-open in July 2020. This is BY FAR the most crowded and flippant I've seen both Disney and guests about abiding and implementing Covid rules.

Other than pseudo-masks, distancing is all but gone. Common areas are packed and markings to "wait" in queues are being ignored. People just don't care and don't think rules apply to them. The guests are far worse than 6 months ago.

Many rides operate at full capacity...7DMT, Thunder Mountain, Everest, HM, and many others have little or no distancing.

Masks are worn, but not enforced as aggressively, particularly at EPCOT. Cast Members used to stop people from walking and eating. No more. It's constant. Masks are consistently worn improperly. Boardwalk area has almost no masks. People take off masks during shows like Carousel and Soarin'.

Honestly, Disney is still trying their best I feel, but it's impossible to actually police this stuff all the time. I think CMs are understandably tired of reminding guests and corporate is feeling pressure to get capacity up again. I don't really blame anyone. If you're scared of Covid, stay home. It's still better at Disney than your average place.
I was hoping people could keep up the mitigation measures until more people had an opportunity to get vaccinated, but I’m not surprised many are letting things slide.

MaryJaneP

Vaccines appear to help reduce individual symptoms from severe to less severe. It has apparently greatly reduced deaths. All of this is great progress. A continuing and concurrent problem seems to be transmissability. The vaccines have not yet proven to attack that area but the results so far are encouraging. A new problem of mutations and their response to vaccinations is ongoing. Also the mutations appear to be more transmissable. Maybe WDW is waiting until more "indisputable" data is beyond doubt. If the prior discouraging report on WDW arks is the SOP, WDW may be a super-spreader location with poor masking and lack of social distancing.

bdearl41

I think you bring up a good point. At what point do the vaccinated cast members just say screw it. By this I mean most of them will be vaccinated in a couple months.

bdearl41

Vaccines appear to help reduce individual symptoms from severe to less severe. It has apparently greatly reduced deaths. All of this is great progress. A continuing and concurrent problem seems to be transmissability. The vaccines have not yet proven to attack that area but the results so far are encouraging. A new problem of mutations and their response to vaccinations is ongoing. Also the mutations appear to be more transmissable. Maybe WDW is waiting until more "indisputable" data is beyond doubt. If the prior discouraging report on WDW arks is the SOP, WDW may be a super-spreader location with poor masking and lack of social distancing.
So do you know vaccinated people still spread it? Because no one else knows that. In fact most scientists venture a prediction of the opposite.

Chi84

Premium Member
So do you know vaccinated people still spread it? Because no one else knows that. In fact most scientists venture a prediction of the opposite.
This is one area where people who have for the last year been saying to follow the science just absolutely refuse to follow the science. I even posted an article with links to the studies earlier in this thread, but no one is willing to let go of the idea that vaccinated people are spreading COVID.

The CDC is understandably slow in changing recommendations right now, when the majority of people have not had an opportunity to be vaccinated and we have no system in place for people to show proof of vaccination. But the systems are being developed (2 states are using their own and the federal government is working on it) and it won't be long until the CDC follows the science and loosens restrictions for vaccinated people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom