Updates to the Seas Pavilion

dmw

In the Parks
No
I agree that it's because of the way the Seas tank was designed with the central viewing area. That seems good in theory, but in reality it's too easy to see the walls and realize it's just a tank. And yes, the Georgia Aquarium also has one of those glass tube walkways through the center of the main tank.

I think the issue for visiting the Georgia Aquarium is that Atlanta isn't really a tourist city. The Aquarium is a great attraction, but there's not a ton else here to do for visitors. The Center for Civil and Human Rights that's right next to the Aquarium is very good and I would recommend it to anyone (they're building an expansion there right now), but the College Football Hall of Fame is not especially good even if you care about college football (and I do). The World of Coke is basically nothing. The Atlanta Zoo does have giant pandas which is a rarity, but the National Zoo in DC also has them and there's obviously far more to see/do there. The rest of the zoo is small and not special, although I'm a bit spoiled by growing up 30 minutes from the NC Zoo which is one of the largest in the world.

The only other thing I can think of is the MLK Historic Site, which is worth visiting, but there's really not a ton there.
OK... I know this is way off topic, but Atlanta is a large tourist city, with the world's most busy airport and lots to do when you get there. In addition to the attractions you noted Atlanta has 6 Flags (roller coasters), 6 Flags White Water (water amusement park), Stone Mountain, the High Museum of Art, Fernbank Museum of Natural History and numerous other smaller tourist attactions.

UNCgolf

OK... I know this is way off topic, but Atlanta is a large tourist city, with the world's most busy airport and lots to do when you get there. In addition to the attractions you noted Atlanta has 6 Flags (roller coasters), 6 Flags White Water (water amusement park), Stone Mountain, the High Museum of Art, Fernbank Museum of Natural History and numerous other smaller tourist attactions.

It's the world's busiest airport because it's Delta's hub; not because Atlanta is a big tourist city. I live here. It's not.

I think the Fernbank's interior exhibits are embarrassingly outdated and need to be completely overhauled (except for the main atrium with the dinosaurs). It doesn't hold a candle to natural history museums in other big cities, or even some smaller ones. I like the High Museum, but it's definitely not something that attracts many people to the city from elsewhere.

I'm not saying no one visits Atlanta as a tourist, but it's not a major American tourist center. People from most of the rest of the US aren't looking at Atlanta as somewhere they need to visit.

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
It's the world's busiest airport because it's Delta's hub; not because Atlanta is a big tourist city. I live here. It's not.

I think the Fernbank's interior exhibits are embarrassingly outdated and need to be completely overhauled (except for the main atrium with the dinosaurs). It doesn't hold a candle to natural history museums in other big cities, or even some smaller ones. I like the High Museum, but it's definitely not something that attracts many people to the city from elsewhere.

I'm not saying no one visits Atlanta as a tourist, but it's not a major American tourist center. People from most of the rest of the US aren't looking at Atlanta as somewhere they need to visit.
I've lived here for 15 years now and I am not sure why I do other than my wife and I have great jobs here that we actually like. Other than that, I'd probably live south of here. We love the north Georgia mountains, but the metro is brutal sometimes.

dmw

In the Parks
No

I've lived in the Atlanta burbs since 1991. We have found lots to see and do in Atlanta, and many that we enjoy taking family/guests to. But, YMMV :)

UNCgolf

I've lived in the Atlanta burbs since 1991. We have found lots to see and do in Atlanta, and many that we enjoy taking family/guests to. But, YMMV :)

I think we're coming from different places.

It's not that there isn't plenty of stuff to do in Atlanta (there is). It's that there's very little that actually draws people here from elsewhere. People from most of the rest of the country aren't booking a week long trip to Atlanta to see the sights. It's more of a regional spot where people from South Carolina and Alabama come to the "big city" for a few days, or people here visiting family/friends as you mentioned.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I think we're coming from different places.

It's not that there isn't plenty of stuff to do in Atlanta (there is). It's that there's very little that actually draws people here from elsewhere. People from most of the rest of the country aren't booking a week long trip to Atlanta to see the sights. It's more of a regional spot where people from South Carolina and Alabama come to the "big city" for a few days, or people here visiting family/friends as you mentioned.
Yes.

FigmentJedi

How did no one bring the Center for Puppetry Arts and its "Country's Largest Collection of Muppets" into this discussion of Atlanta attractions?

UNCgolf

How did no one bring the Center for Puppetry Arts and its "Country's Largest Collection of Muppets" into this discussion of Atlanta attractions?

I think the vast majority of people who live in Atlanta don't know that exists, much less people from elsewhere.

The only reason I do is because it's about a 5 minute walk down the street from my office and there's a sign.

Last edited:

SplashJacket

I think the vast majority of people who live in Atlanta don't know that exists, much less people from elsewhere.

The only reason I do is because it's about a 5 minute walk down the street from my office and there's a sign.
I for one never knew it existed.

Atlanta is not The Living Seas featuring Disney/Pixar’s “Finding Nemo”.
I wonder how Sydney is doing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom