Updates to the Seas Pavilion

castlecake2.0

But isn't the design of the current queue meant to create the impression that you're slowly descending under water? The hydrolators took us "under" "quickly". I would think that to bring back the hydrolators, guests would need to be given the express descent or the slow descent option.
That is true, I’d probably rework the queue to be more like marine institute look, lead up to the hydrolators to get to the sea base, then as you exit the hydrolators you can choose to go on the nemo ride or just walk into the sea base area.

this is all just wishful thinking, I have no clue how they were planning on incorporating them into the pavilion. I just think the current setup makes it feel like once you’re off the ride the attraction is over and you exit the pavilion, rather than making the nemo ride just one of multiple experiences inside the pavilion.

UNCgolf

That is true, I’d probably rework the queue to be more like marine institute look, lead up to the hydrolators to get to the sea base, then as you exit the hydrolators you can choose to go on the nemo ride or just walk into the sea base area.

this is all just wishful thinking, I have no clue how they were planning on incorporating them into the pavilion. I just think the current setup makes it feel like once you’re off the ride the attraction is over and you exit the pavilion, rather than making the nemo ride just one of multiple experiences inside the pavilion.

I also don't think they do a very good job letting people know they can go into the aquarium without getting on the ride. I've overheard people walk up, see that the Nemo ride had a 30+ minute wait, and say they didn't want to wait in line that long to get into the aquarium.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

I also don't think they do a very good job letting people know they can go into the aquarium without getting on the ride. I've overheard people walk up, see that the Nemo ride had a 30+ minute wait, and say they didn't want to wait in line that long to get into the aquarium.
Hydrolators would have been for a new Alpha exit. Alpha itself would have been expanded.

Cmdr_Crimson

A simple directional sign would help just outside the entrance..

Herah

But isn't the design of the current queue meant to create the impression that you're slowly descending under water? The hydrolators took us "under" "quickly". I would think that to bring back the hydrolators, guests would need to be given the express descent or the slow descent option.
The Nemo queue is actually one of my favorite places in Epcot. It's not in-your-face, but it really feels like being underwater. If only it weren't attached to that ride.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
The Nemo queue is actually one of my favorite places in Epcot. It's not in-your-face, but it really feels like being underwater. If only it weren't attached to that ride.
That's legit what I've always said!

Imagine if they had an indoor waiting room just like that, for Finding Nemo the Musical. Ahh, how nice that would be.

sedati

Sadly I think the dolphins have to go if they are the reason for the ugly wall of bars which I believe keep them from mischievously pushing the sea turtle out of the tank. Several other large tanks hold whale sharks, perhaps this one could too.
There are many other ways to bring this marvel back to the 21st century, but I think they'd have to drain the tank to make any real improvements.

UNCgolf

Sadly I think the dolphins have to go if they are the reason for the ugly wall of bars which I believe keep them from mischievously pushing the sea turtle out of the tank. Several other large tanks hold whale sharks, perhaps this one could too.
There are many other ways to bring this marvel back to the 21st century, but I think they'd have to drain the tank to make any real improvements.

Although the total size of the aquarium isn't that much smaller that what we have here at the Georgia Aquarium (which has whale sharks, as you mentioned), the tank at EPCOT looks/feels like it's significantly smaller. I'm not sure why, but the one at the Georgia Aquarium seems like it's at least twice as large as the one in the Seas. It's probably because of the way the tank is designed (the fact that you're out in the middle of a circular tank instead of looking into it from one end of a rectangle), but it's hard for me to imagine whale sharks in there.

It also seems really sparse, which could be part of it. The main tank at the Georgia Aquarium is absolutely teeming with life and feels like you're actually looking into the ocean. The one at the Seas currently feels like you're looking at a huge concrete tank. I don't remember it always feeling that way -- last time I was there I was actually wondering if they'd significantly decreased both the number of animals and the habitat decoration because it seemed so much less than I remembered -- but who knows.

sedati

Although the total size of the aquarium isn't that much smaller that what we have here at the Georgia Aquarium (which has whale sharks, as you mentioned), the tank at EPCOT looks/feels like it's significantly smaller. I'm not sure why, but the one at the Georgia Aquarium seems like it's at least twice as large as the one in the Seas. It's probably because of the way the tank is designed (the fact that you're out in the middle of a circular tank instead of looking into it from one end of a rectangle), but it's hard for me to imagine whale sharks in there.

It also seems really sparse, which could be part of it. The main tank at the Georgia Aquarium is absolutely teeming with life and feels like you're actually looking into the ocean. The one at the Seas currently feels like you're looking at a huge concrete tank. I don't remember it always feeling that way -- last time I was there I was actually wondering if they'd significantly decreased both the number of animals and the habitat decoration because it seemed so much less than I remembered -- but who knows.
I'd love to visit the Georgia Aquarium someday.
It seems that tank only holds one million gallons more (7 vs 6) though it is a large rectangle vs the Seas circle. The Seas also has the viewing area in the center which I think cuts the sense of scale by somewhat bisecting the tank. Would love a refurb that would get us somewhere closer to this:
1616385557964.png

Replace the boxy tunnels with glass tubes (other aquariums have this.) Replace the viewing area with a smaller one with more glass. Get rid of the windows for the labs and corporate lounge (while spectacular) paint the walls and decorate in a way that really feels like we're in the ocean and not an aquarium. Now imagine if the entire ceiling of the Seabase were replace with some new video technology so it actually looked like glass with water above.

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It’s a fantastic experience.... not right now, though. A lot of their entertainment offerings are limited. And an aquarium is more of a spontaneous trip for me than a trip I plan for in advance like disney. (But that could be because I’m only 2 hours away from it). Also, I wish It wasn’t so crowded each time I go. I feel like Georgia Aquarium could be so relaxing if it weren’t for endless amounts of screaming toddlers.

As for comparisons between the seas and Georgia aquarium..... I cant compare the two. I dont buy a ticket to disney to go to the aquarium. The one they have is just a bonus of Epcot in my opinion. I say the Seas serves its purpose.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
It’s a fantastic experience.... not right now, though. A lot of their entertainment offerings are limited. And an aquarium is more of a spontaneous trip for me than a trip I plan for in advance like disney. (But that could be because I’m only 2 hours away from it). Also, I wish It wasn’t so crowded each time I go. I feel like Georgia Aquarium could be so relaxing if it weren’t for endless amounts of screaming toddlers.

As for comparisons between the seas and Georgia aquarium..... I cant compare the two. I dont buy a ticket to disney to go to the aquarium. The one they have is just a bonus of Epcot in my opinion. I say the Seas serves its purpose.
It was really a great aquarium when it opened. The offerings have expanded along with its footprint but unless you go on a Tuesday, its just not a great experience from a crowd perspective. Parking has become a mess and its about $75 a couple for entry alone. Still a beautiful aquarium, I can't knock its exhibits but I actually really enjoyed the Chattanooga Aquarium a bit more. Check it out if you have a chance.

UNCgolf

It seems that tank only holds one million gallons more, though it is a large rectangle vs the Seas circle. The Seas also has the viewing area in the center which I think cuts the sense of scale by somewhat bisecting the tank. Would love a refurb that would get us somewhere closer to this:
View attachment 541403
Replace the boxy tunnels with glass tubes (other aquariums have this.) Replace the viewing area with a smaller one with more glass. Get rid of the windows for the labs and corporate lounge (while spectacular) paint the walls and decorate in a way that really feels like we're in the ocean and not an aquarium. Now imagine if the entire ceiling of the Seabase were replace with some new video technology so it actually looked like glass with water above.

I agree that it's because of the way the Seas tank was designed with the central viewing area. That seems good in theory, but in reality it's too easy to see the walls and realize it's just a tank. And yes, the Georgia Aquarium also has one of those glass tube walkways through the center of the main tank.

I think the issue for visiting the Georgia Aquarium is that Atlanta isn't really a tourist city. The Aquarium is a great attraction, but there's not a ton else here to do for visitors. The Center for Civil and Human Rights that's right next to the Aquarium is very good and I would recommend it to anyone (they're building an expansion there right now), but the College Football Hall of Fame is not especially good even if you care about college football (and I do). The World of Coke is basically nothing. The Atlanta Zoo does have giant pandas which is a rarity, but the National Zoo in DC also has them and there's obviously far more to see/do there. The rest of the zoo is small and not special, although I'm a bit spoiled by growing up 30 minutes from the NC Zoo which is one of the largest in the world.

The only other thing I can think of is the MLK Historic Site, which is worth visiting, but there's really not a ton there.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

It was really a great aquarium when it opened. The offerings have expanded along with its footprint but unless you go on a Tuesday, its just not a great experience from a crowd perspective. Parking has become a mess and its about $75 a couple for entry alone. Still a beautiful aquarium, I can't knock its exhibits but I actually really enjoyed the Chattanooga Aquarium a bit more. Check it out if you have a chance.

I think any weekday other than maybe Friday is more or less fine. It's just the weekends that you really have to avoid.

UNCgolf

True, could also be im burnt out since I live nearby. Every time someone comes to visit, that is where we go haha

Yep, because like I said above, it's one of the only worthwhile tourist-type attractions in the city. I actually haven't been in three or four years even though it's only 20 minutes from me. I want to go see the new sharks exhibit, but I've heard it's really bad right now. No one respecting any kind of social distancing; people crowded all around you everywhere.

TikibirdLand

True, could also be im burnt out since I live nearby. Every time someone comes to visit, that is where we go haha
We're aquarium nuts in our family. I've been to the Georgia aquarium and really enjoyed it. The Monteray Bay Aquarium is a another "must-see". Of all the regional aquariums and zoos we love the best are in New Orleans: The Aquarium of the Americas and the Audubon Zoo. Of course, we don't go to EPCoT specifically for the Seas exhibit, but we do enjoy it -- even the Nemo ride. I really like all the ideas in this thread for Seabase Alpha improvements. And, I love seeing my daughter's reaction when the sea gulls outside start squawking, "Mine Mine Mine". I tell her, they're asking for her! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom